Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Black Ops

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Nov 09, 2010

The seventh installment of the long-running action franchise, Call of Duty: Black Ops puts players into the early era of the Cold War (including the Vietnam War) as a member of the United States black operations unit known as the SOG.

Veteran difficulty

dropbearGSH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By dropbearGSH

Do not bother.  I don't care who you are or what you do, you definitely have better things to do with your time.

w34ky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By w34ky

I have also found that it is a lot more difficult this time around.

Mrskidders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Mrskidders

I finished it.  Yeh, its hard but it didn't take me that long.  It is a bit broken in parts but its still perfectly achieveable.  Put some practice in.

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By emem
    @Mrskidders said:
    " I finished it.  Yeh, its hard but it didn't take me that long.  It is a bit broken in parts but its still perfectly achieveable.  Put some practice in. "
    I don't like to hide all the time, so for me "hardened" made more sense to actually have fun playing the sp. I'm not sure yet, if I will finish it on veteran later on for the achievements.. maybe when I get bored of the mp.
    Avatar image for weegieanawrench
    weegieanawrench

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By weegieanawrench

I finished it on veteran as well. It's difficult sure, but you know the saying, "Inch by inch, COD's a cinch. Yard by yard, life is hard." 

Take it slow, and you'll find that it's not so bad. Also, I found the game to get a lot easier once I was finished with the Khe Sanh level.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Ramone

Done and dusted. If you completed WaW on Veteran this willl be a breeze.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By iam3green

yeah, i don't try veteran. it is just cheap things in that game. i beat it on hardened and that was a good difficulty. i don't like to die a lot in games other wise i rage quit the game. i got to like 2 levels on veteran on cod4 and i stopped because i was tired of dieing.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#8  Edited By natetodamax

Don't discourage people. I'm blowing through it right now. There are definitely some parts that are kinda messed up, but that's expected. It's not that difficult if you try hard enough.

1DER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By 1DER

Other than the cheap sections, like Khe Sanh and the end of the Hong Kong section, it wasn't really that much of a challenge.

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

I haven't played Black Ops yet, but I remember the favela levels in MW2 were fucking ridiculous as fuck on veteran.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By zombie2011
    @SathingtonWaltz said:
    " I haven't played Black Ops yet, but I remember the favela levels in MW2 were fucking ridiculous as fuck on veteran. "
    No, that level was really easy compared to BLOPS. At least in MW2 you could kill all the enemies, in BLOPS no matter how many people you take out they just keep re-spawning. It's really a step back in the series to go back to infinite enemies after MW2 did away with them.
    Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By Vinny_Says

finished it quicker than my normal playthrough, once I knew how to bypass infinite enemies and knew what I was supposed to do. It's not as bad as you make it out to be.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By subject2change

3.5 hours on PC and I am half way through it...so don't know what the issue is...

it's actually significantly harder than MW2 was, probably closer on par to MW1. Infinite enemies is fine, it makes you need to push up and not just camp them out. I haven't experienced significant nade spam yet so that's a step in the right direction at least.

The_Joker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#14  Edited By The_Joker

The infinitely respawning enemies is really annoying. The parts that don't contain this nonsense are fine.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By natetodamax
    @SathingtonWaltz said:
    " I haven't played Black Ops yet, but I remember the favela levels in MW2 were fucking ridiculous as fuck on veteran. "
    The Favela missions were no where near as frustrating as Contingency.
    jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jmrwacko
    @zombie2011 said:
    " @SathingtonWaltz said:
    No, that level was really easy compared to BLOPS. At least in MW2 you could kill all the enemies, in BLOPS no matter how many people you take out they just keep re-spawning. It's really a step back in the series to go back to infinite enemies after MW2 did away with them. "
    Maybe I just have a bad memory, but I'm almost 100% sure MW2 had sections with infinitely respawning enemies. It's been like that with every CoD.
    niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By niamahai

at least this doens't have Reach's killer AI.

MW2 did have respawning enemies @ the Brazil levels.

Aounslaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By Aounslaught

Whoever thought that infinitely respawning enemies was a good idea should be shot. Repeatedly. Such a system adds nothing but frustration for the player, especially on higher difficulties, when the infinite army as unlimited ammo, pinpoint accuracy, AND the ability to blind fire around corners while you have to risk your head every time to try to peak out. It gets even worse when the damn Viet Cong's are on top of a hill and you're trying to get up there and there's minimal cover to work with. 

I personally didn't find it that hard on Veteran. There was certainly some parts that were just downright cheap (I'm looking at you, hallway section of the Soviet base after you destroy the missile with a Valkryie rocket!!). But once I learned to abuse my tactical grenade a bit to jump from cover to cover, it got a bit simpler. Those smoke 'nades were the ones that got me through the section that I mentioned above. Without them, don't think I would've made it.  

Oh, and also learn when to rush!! If you're in a situation where there are infinitely spawning enemies, contrary to all reason, throw a bunch of frags into the fray,look at the ground, and just RUN towards the yellow dot. The POW camp in Vietnam where you meet Kravchenko. The very last cave before the iteraction. I couldn't get through to save my life. There were people with RPG's, shotty's, AK's, you name it. And how I got through that was loaded the checkpoint, threw in my frags, shot a nube tube at the RPG guy, shot a noob tube at the staircase that I needed to take to get to the door(which also happened to be where they were spawning) and just BOOKED it. I tried this out of desperation and it actually worked.  

If memory serves me right, those were pretty much the only three sections that gave me trouble. If you can be patient enough with it, you can easily beat it on Veteran. Good luck! :)

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By inkerman

Hong Kong was absurd, I completed that ludicrous bit crossing that big roof, got to the slow mo bit where you slide down a roof, killed the guys, and then realised that the guy had bugged out somewhere, and wasn't coming. I had to restart the whole level. The very end was also straight up broken.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By natetodamax
    @Inkerman said:
    " Hong Kong was absurd, I completed that ludicrous bit crossing that big roof, got to the slow mo bit where you slide down a roof, killed the guys, and then realised that the guy had bugged out somewhere, and wasn't coming. I had to restart the whole level. The very end was also straight up broken. "
    I had absolutely no trouble with the end of that mission. In fact, I found it to be the easiest part of the entire thing. 
    inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By inkerman
    @natetodamax said:
    " @Inkerman said:
    " Hong Kong was absurd, I completed that ludicrous bit crossing that big roof, got to the slow mo bit where you slide down a roof, killed the guys, and then realised that the guy had bugged out somewhere, and wasn't coming. I had to restart the whole level. The very end was also straight up broken. "
    I had absolutely no trouble with the end of that mission. In fact, I found it to be the easiest part of the entire thing.  "
    Tried that maybe about 5 or 6 times before I got it. I did it throwing a grenade just before I landed, got lucky and killed half the guys as they spawned.
    Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By Aus_azn
    @zombie2011 said:
    " @SathingtonWaltz said:
    No, that level was really easy compared to BLOPS. At least in MW2 you could kill all the enemies, in BLOPS no matter how many people you take out they just keep re-spawning. It's really a step back in the series to go back to infinite enemies after MW2 did away with them. "
    This. Whenever there was an infinite enemy zone, i had to resist the urge to turn on console and use god mode. I just don't think the campaign was as well done, both in mechanics and plot.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By natetodamax
    @Inkerman said:
    " @natetodamax said:
    " @Inkerman said:
    I had absolutely no trouble with the end of that mission. In fact, I found it to be the easiest part of the entire thing.  "
    Tried that maybe about 5 or 6 times before I got it. I did it throwing a grenade just before I landed, got lucky and killed half the guys as they spawned. "
    I took me two tries to run to the bottom because I was being stupid the first time. Second time I managed to run all the way down without taking a bullet. When I grabbed the pistol I smoked almost everyone without dying. Must have gotten lucky I guess.
    Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By Baillie

Lol at everyone coming from
    MW2 to this. MW2 had one of the easiest campaigns I've ever played. If you think Treyarch will be the same. Nuh uh, girlfriend!

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By zombie2011
    @jmrwacko said:
    " @zombie2011 said:
    " @SathingtonWaltz said:
    Maybe I just have a bad memory, but I'm almost 100% sure MW2 had sections with infinitely respawning enemies. It's been like that with every CoD. "
    MW2 didn't have infinite enemies. You could kill everyone, thats how i beat the game. The only part that might have had the infinite enemies was when you are running down the hill before you get betrayed, but you're not really shooting anyone in that section so i'm not if it did or didn't.
    ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26  Edited By ThePhantomnaut
    @dropbearGSH said:
    " Do not bother.  I don't care who you are or what you do, you definitely have better things to do with your time. "
    I bothered. Not as challenging as World At War. 

Here is my scale from easiest to hardest in veteran (without Call of Duty 3)
    Modern Warfare 2->Black Ops->Call of Duty 4->World At War->Call of Duty 2->Call of Duty->United Offensive
    Kendstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Kendstorm

In halo(with real AI)legendary is a challenge of your wits. The enemies actually react to situations and you can outsmart them. In BO your playing against scripted AI with aimbots/wallhacks its not fun.

dropbearGSH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By dropbearGSH
    @Kendstorm:   You said it.  Halo, in my opinion, is at its best on legendary (except for the goddamn jackal snipers in Halo 2). 

I beat COD 2, 4, WaW, and MW2 on veteran but I have no idea why I did it.  I beat the first the first 3 levels of Black Ops and got my achievement for it, then decided that it is simply not worth the frustration to beat the rest of it, achievements or not.  The tunnels after you shoot down the rocket on the third level gave me a taste of what is to come.  Not worth it.  Multiplayer is where it's at as far as replay value is concerned.
    DXO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By DXO

I beat it, but I dont really feel as awesome about it.  I mean, I was able to get some extra level achievements on veteran, like escape using dual wield weapons from Kowloon on veteran.  it was nice not the be grenade spammed by the bots though

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.