Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty Elite

Concept »

Elite was an out-of-game service that allows Call of Duty players to "connect, compete, and improve."

Call of Duty Elite Actually Doesn't Sound Totally Terrible

• 182 results
    thatdutchguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By thatdutchguy

i hope every kid is gonna buy MW3 so i can enjoy Battlefield 3 kids free   

fingers crossed

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By spiceninja

I don't know, I kind of feel like COD is on the way out and Elite seems a little late in the game. I remember being super hyped for MW2 and now I just don't care about the franchise anymore. The same game every year is not anything I want to be apart of anymore.

thunderbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By thunderbear

$50 bucks a year for this doesn't sound like a terrible deal? Man, Activision must be glad there's a few fools born every day. All it sounds like is that they are getting you to commit to paying for all the DLC (while a lot of people only buy a few of them) while they are still hyped, and then get some promotions (competitions which usually don't have an entry fee in the world of online gaming...) and celebrity media thrown in? Xbox360 users who go for this will essentially put out $110 a year to play Call of Duty online with fresh content.

Well, if you're happy with it and Activision is supplying then who am I to say what's right or wrong. I'm not buying into it though. 

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#54  Edited By Jeffsekai

Fuck that.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By scarace360

nope.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#56  Edited By beargirl1
    @TheKing said:

I don't like something therefore it is bad.

i also really don't like it when there's an optional service that doesn't detract anything from the gameplay. ugh. what were they thinking? 
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#57  Edited By Seppli

L-O-V-E DLC Seaons Pass. Keeps the most core playerbase active and ready to compete all season long. An end to the DLC clusterfuck.

tomance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#58  Edited By tomance

Some people buy CoD and it's the only multiplayer game they play all year. This is basically for them. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Nothing too difficult there.

arcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By arcn

If I was really into Call of Duty on 360, I think Elite would be enough to make me switch over to PS3, that extra 50 dollar fee makes XBL seem a bit ridiculous, especially when all you get for your 60 dollars a year is a bunch of pr talk about how you should be grateful that you're paying extra to access things that should already be free.

OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#60  Edited By OneManX

@2HeadedNinja said:

@SSully said:

@Buckfitches said:

This fucking age of endless DLC needs to end. Sweet deal my ass.

Just keep some of the maps out of the final release, churn out a helmet or jacket for your character every month, and somehow, Activision manages to squeeze 110$ out of everyone for a single game, only to pull the exact same shit next year.

This is getting out of hand.

With the way they put out DLC for games like this they are doing more then holding back maps from release. I am not a huge fan of COD and have never bought a map pack, but if they are going to put out as many maps as they did for blackops then they are putting in a lot of work, and giving the players a great value.

There is a time to bitch about shitty DLC, but this isn't one of them.

So what? Let me pull the TF2 card. Valve released not only new maps but new gamemodes new weapons and a ton of vanity items ... for free. They do manage to get some extra money out of gamers but nothing they sell you is locked ... you can get anything that matters (gameplay value) for free if you invest time.

There is some kind of DLC that justifys being paid for (Borderlands) but maps in a mulitplayer shooter are not something you should have to pay for ... thats something the publishers should give to you just to gain customer loyalty.

Well Im also sure that Valve would love for you to get Steam.. and maybe buy some stuff from them as well. Valve is good with the content, but they still have something to gain from all the free update, mainly more Steam purchases.

As for this... I'm kinda okay with this, I like the idea of just buying of all the DLC and getting at a reduced price, because at this point,y ou've pretty much bought into CoD as it is now. But yeah, if they release a clunker for a map pack, you're kinda screwed or it turns into a Nuketown situation where, that is the only map people want to play.

Jerome85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#61  Edited By Jerome85

Always cracks me up how much hate COD gets.  Meanwhile your favorite game wishes they could do COD numbers.

phatcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#62  Edited By phatcat

LOL, why would you pay 50 bucks for a stat tracking community website that gives you exclusive content. So stupid!

Oh, guys I can't wait to see the exclusive member stuff y'all have next year after the live show! Do we get new emblems that show we have been members for two years? :D

railbird13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By railbird13

I'm not very interested in this at all.  I've enjoyed the core CoD experience provided out of the box just fine these last few iterations and honestly; there are so many other games coming out toward the end of this year which I'd rather spend my seemingly dwindling gaming time with.  I enjoy a wide variety of genres, so I'd rather put that $50 to a new retail game or go back and pick up a few games on discount that I haven't played yet as I churn through my back log.

RobDaFunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By RobDaFunk

Or just buy the Hardened Edition with a year of Elite for Free........just need to know what the price of the Hardened Edition is now..... :S

jmfinamore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By jmfinamore

The real news here is that Jason Bateman and Will Arnett will be appearing on the service. That might be worth $60.

FacestabMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By FacestabMan

2 words: Baffles me.

Sander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#67  Edited By Sander
    @RobDaFunk said:
    Or just buy the Hardened Edition with a year of Elite for Free........just need to know what the price of the Hardened Edition is now..... :S
    I think it's $100. I saw it on another gaming site(which will remain unnamed). But I don't know if the Hardened Edition includes all the forthcoming DLC. 
    Mystyr_E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

User Lists: 4

#68  Edited By Mystyr_E

on one hand, it is a savings then the 15$ x 4 thing but then the MW2 map packs were kinda...crap so like the Gears of War 3 thing, it's hard to gauge the quality of Elite without at least knowing how good these maps and new services are. I'd rather not go through the infinite care package/OMA and noobtube/javelin glitch period again if I'm paying an additional 50 bucks

Ronald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#69  Edited By Ronald  Online

I wonder how much DLC will be in MW3 if they are running it monthly for nine months? Would they cut back on map packs from 5 to 3 or 2? And would those still be priced at $15? Depending on those, this is a great deal for the millions who will buy this game and play it online non-stop until the next CoD comes out.

zaglis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By zaglis

So this is a thing now? Pay for DLC before it's even released, giving publishers/developers a reason to cut content from final game and release it later. 

Motherfuckers.

craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By craigbo180

"Are you going to signing up?"

It's silly but I laughed at that.

RobertOrri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By RobertOrri

I can't believe that Will Arnett and Jason Bateman are going to be doing a regular show about Call of Duty.

This is what it has all come to? Seriously?

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By BabyChooChoo

@Peacemaker said:

Some people buy CoD and it's the only multiplayer game they play all year. This is basically for them. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Nothing too difficult there.

Exactly. I don't see what all the rage is about. If all you play is CoD and that's your favorite game and you want all the cool extras and what not then this is a great deal. I'm not particularly interested in it, but I can completely understand how someone else would be.

If you don't like CoD or you think this is stupid then don't buy it. Move on. You'll live...trust me.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By RE_Player1

But what if the DLC is bad...

MarxMygdala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By MarxMygdala

Really fascinating service model that Activision has developed. 

I'm not going to buy into it, but I know a lot of people who will, and I think it's awesome that they're taking the chances on evolving pay models for games. It's the perfect time for this, too. Getting people locked into their Elite service just as  competitors seem to have their hackles really raised.

It's absolutely filthy in some ways but undoubtedly innovative and seemingly what their target audience wants desperately. 

Zaapp1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#76  Edited By Zaapp1

I'll sign up for the MW years...

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By laserbolts

So many people bitching about this. If only it wasn't forced and was optional..oh wait.

ikwal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By ikwal

Wait, they are charging $15 for each map pack? Well compared to that anything would seem like a great deal.

Liquidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#79  Edited By Liquidus

Nothing about Call of Duty DLC is a deal. The series has a history of the DLC maps being absolutely terrible.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#80  Edited By Levio

At this price, you're practically saving money buying all this DLC!

Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
    unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By unsolvedparadox

@Levio said:

At this price, you're practically saving money buying all this DLC!

I really would be saving money, I'm onboard...

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Vexxan

Sorry I don't have the NEVER picture nearby so this will have to do:

NEVER EVER.

fentonalpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By fentonalpha

Not much of a deal if the monthly DLC is only 1 map or not maps at all, XBOX avatar clothing is also "DLC"

shadystx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By shadystx

If you get to keep all the DLC once your subscription finishes and you do not renew then this is a very good deal. 

But if you lose all the map packs etc for cancelling your subscription then its not that good of a deal, i know a new cod comes out every year but what if for some reason you want to play cod3 for 2-3 years but do not want elite after the first year but want the map packs I assume you would have to buy them again. 

I only say this as on shacknews the run down of features says " All DLC will be made available to Elite members during the time of active subscription, meaning, when new content is offered, Elite subscribers will get it all without having to pay additional fees."  

The wording has me a little worried, active subscription, that could just mean you will get all dlc released during active subscription and keep it after subs are cancelled or it could mean you lose all dlc after subs are cancelled, It be nice if this was clarified.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#85  Edited By musubi

@shadystx: Its been confirmed that you keep the DLC even if you don't renew.

Luck3ySe7en

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Luck3ySe7en

At this point, they need to simply say, "fuck it" to the 60fps, ramp up the match and map sizes to fit 50+ dudes, add factions, add a persistent world and call this COD World. Couple all that with the "Elite" bullshit and you've got yourself a legitimate subscription game that will bring in the money. And since you never change the game engine or any of the core game, just pump out a expansion pack every year. Oh yeah, and vehicles. That's a COD game i'd be happy to play.

Biggie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#87  Edited By Biggie

Well come to the $100 video game, COD and Gears bring on the new reality.  I'll give Activision credit they are spelling out exactly what you are getting for your money, unlike Microsoft.

Amilmitt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Amilmitt
    @SSully said:

@Buckfitches said:

Just keep some of the maps out of the final release, churn out a helmet or jacket for your character every month, and somehow, Activision manages to squeeze 110$ out of everyone for a single game, only to pull the exact same shit next year.

With the way they put out DLC for games like this they are doing more then holding back maps from release. I am not a huge fan of COD and have never bought a map pack, but if they are going to put out as many maps as they did for blackops then they are putting in a lot of work, and giving the players a great value.

this is not great value.
    i remember paying 30 dollars for an expansion and getting an entire game on top of my game.

waypoetic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By waypoetic

Of course you don't think COD is awful, Patrick Klepeck. It's an american product. 

RoganSarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By RoganSarine

...I'm amazed that this franchise has lasted so many years - they usually die within 3-4

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Lukeweizer

Will Arnett ad Jason Bateman?! Yes please...

halberdierv2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#92  Edited By halberdierv2

Im surprised there's no mention of XboxAhoy in the CallOfDuty TV stuff yet.

NobodyHIFI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By NobodyHIFI

whored out franchise is whore
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By napalm

Hey guys, do you remember when DLC were expansion packs like Yuri's Revenge? You payed twenty or thirty dollars and essentially got an entire new game a year or so later? I know I do, and I miss it.

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Solh0und
    @RobDaFunk said:
    Or just buy the Hardened Edition with a year of Elite for Free........
    confideration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By confideration

Disposable income. Maybe.

Pudge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Pudge

Am I the only one ignoring the GAMERZ KOOL TV stuff with names like Cocked Hammers and n00b Tube? That sounds like comedy gold waiting to happen. I can't wait till someone puts that on the Internet, I'll watch it while I play my $40 Halo 1 Remake and Map Pack.

YOUNGLINK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By YOUNGLINK

Yes! Don't hate me...

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By GreggD

@SSully said:

@Buckfitches said:

Except for the fact that the playlists eventually lock you out of online play if you don't buy the packs.

TOYBOXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#100  Edited By TOYBOXX

Since Call of Duty Elite is free (with no strings attached), with the exception of the DLC related premium service, I'm actually considering subscribing to this. In the long run it will be cheaper to subscribe than to purchase the DLC individually.  Look, it all lies on the gamer themselves. Do you plan on purchasing MW3 DLC? If not, then fine. If so, why not save some cash? Either way it's a win-win for everyone involved. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.