Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Nov 08, 2011

The last installment of the Modern Warfare trilogy brings World War 3 to the world of Call of Duty. While the U.S., British, and French armed forces try to push back the Russian invasion, the disavowed Task Force 141 begin their hunt for international terrorist Vladimir Makarov.

So I Just Beat Campaign (No Spoilers)

Waffles13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Waffles13
    @Sooty said:

I'm guessing the game still feels like you're just a camera floating around a level as opposed to the shooting and/or movement having any weight to it.

and still a boring scripted mess, much like Battlefield 3's single player, at least that game redeems itself with a pretty different multiplayer experience compared to camping for unbalanced killstreaks.

If you don't like the roller-coaster style progression in games, then you're absolutely right to not like it. Not judging or anything, but it is unarguably that kind of game. The actual combat is more or less identical, although there were a few moments where I was truly impressed by just how good and weighty the weapons felt. If I wind up diving into this multiplayer too much I may have to be an AK guy because in the campaign that shit sounded good.
    Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Contro

@Waffles13 said:

@Contro

said:

I've already taken a sneaky look at the first two missions, and I've been quite impressed by what I've seen.

The New York stuff is cool, but once the game moves into mainland Europe shit gets real.

I've seen bit of the London thing, that looked really exciting, hearing their voices in my home town :)

Waffles13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Waffles13
    @Mr_Skeleton said:
    Considering the fact that there is going to be MW4, did they leave themselves some room to continue the story or will they just need to make the next game? Also will the next game have to be in space in order to outdo the previous game (as is tradition).
    No logical space for MW4 as a continuation of the 1-2-3 story. As far as the space thing, MW3 seems slightly more grounded than 2. Don't get me wrong, there's some pretty redonkulous stuff going on here, but significantly fewer astronauts are nuked this time around (Spoilers).
    Waffles13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Waffles13
    @Contro said:

@Waffles13 said:

@Contro

said:

I've already taken a sneaky look at the first two missions, and I've been quite impressed by what I've seen.

The New York stuff is cool, but once the game moves into mainland Europe shit gets real.

I've seen bit of the London thing, that looked really exciting, hearing their voices in my home town :)

Not to be disappointing, but there is very little London in this game. Like, less than almost any other area of the game. The early Germany and all of the France stuff though... Whew.
    Waffles13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Waffles13

I just wanna say that I was as skeptical as everyone about this game, given the IW drama and the lackluster previews. Just beat it in one sitting (5-6 hours, shocking, I know) on 360 (fuck you, Activision) and I thought it was damn great. Note that I also really liked MW2, even thought the actual story was weird and kind of nonsensical.

Anyway, I'm not going to get anywhere near spoilertown here, but if you liked either of the previous MW games, then this is just as good, if not better. The story is much more coherent and while not quite realistic, makes much more sense from a motivation standpoint. The set pieces are just as good as ever, and for all the bitching everyone has about how the graphics are so inferior to everything else, you need to look at the damn game before making that judgement. Yes, the textures are subpar and the particle effects don't have all the bells and whistles, but it runs at 60FPS. It cannot be understated how great it makes the game look in action, and considering the shit they throw at you in the larger scripted moments, it's damned impressive on 360 hardware.

So yeah, that's my snap reaction; I did just beat it about fifteen minutes ago. Also, if you're wondering if MW3 somehow feels lacking or without heart due to the internal situation at IW, it doesn't. Sure, they had a billion people working to make sure it was as good as the prequels, but in the end I guess those folks that were fired/quit weren't quite as vital to the development process as everyone thought (for the record, I know COD4 would never have happened without those people and they are extremely talented, I'm just saying in a post COD4 world the game doesn't appear any worse for wear).

MoseSSesoM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MoseSSesoM

So does it leave room for MW4 or can you see them finally moving on to a new arc?

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By inkerman

I have my own opinions about MW2's REAL story...

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By NTM
    @Waffles13: That's cool. I have a question about the graphics, though I'm not worrying about them. I just wanted to know, is it as big (or small) a jump as from what we've seen Call of Duty 4, to Modern Warfare 2 was? Because that was a good enough improvement for it to look like one of the best 2009 games of that year.
    Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Contro

I've heard a few other views along these lines. I've already bought the game, primarily for the singleplayer, which I'm hoping is on par with MW's. I didn't like MW2's singleplayer at all, it was hard to follow and I found it actually took away from the gameplay immersion.

My game is Steam loaded and ready, I can't wait. I've already taken a sneaky look at the first two missions, and I've been quite impressed by what I've seen.

Waffles13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Waffles13
    @MoseSSesoM said:

So does it leave room for MW4 or can you see them finally moving on to a new arc?

Story is pretty damn wrapped up. There's one moment near the end where I totally expected it to end, but then they threw in one more mission to cloose it up nicely. Absolutely no cliffhanger and no real room to keep the same arc going. 

@Inkerman said:
    I have my own opinions about MW2's REAL story...
    If you're referring to the shenanigans at IW, then whatever, but if you mean in the actual game, MW3 doesn't leave much up to interpretation. There's one semi-major plot twist in 3 that is well done and references the past games, but as far as revealing the "truth" behind past events it just accepts that everything is how it appeared before. There's very little of the weird secret-army/General Shepard style stuff and more of a focus on just Price, Makarov and WW3.

@NTM

said:

@Waffles13: That's cool. I have a question about the graphics, though I'm not worrying about them. I just wanted to know, is it as big (or small) a jump as from what we've seen Call of Duty 4, to Modern Warfare 2 was? Because that was a good enough improvement for it to look like one of the best 2009 games of that year.

I haven't played MW2 in a while, but I don't think it's nearly the same jump. Static graphics appear similar to MW2, but there are a few physics-y high action moments (which I realize are completely scripted) that are crazy and appear beyond anything in MW2. I'd say its pretty much the same, but just more shit happening at any time.

I will say that there's one point where they play heavily with light and silhouettes that was really cool. I don't think it was much of a technical hurdle, but from an artistic and design perspective I was impressed.

@Contro

said:

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Sooty

I'm guessing the game still feels like you're just a camera floating around a level as opposed to the shooting and/or movement having any weight to it.

Wave after wave of enemies, oh a turret section, vehicle section, wave after wave of enemies. Did I just sum up the campaign?

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Contro

@NTM:

The 360 footage online looks impressive, I know I was impressed. The textures are a simplistic in areas, but the animation and effects are a step up imo. Take the games prologue for instance, that looks much beefier now, there's a lot more going on in screen than was shown at E3. The game has got it's final coat of polish by the looks of things, it's got that super glossy cinematic visual quality, that most gamers will expect from this series now. There's also more diversity in the locations, winch should help as it gives developers an opportunity to experiment.

They know they have to impress in all areas if they're to continue with this release structure, because they can't churn out the some old thing and expect people to pay out year upon year. BF3 would have had some positive impact also I think.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mikey87144

Give me spoilers. I might rent the game next year, certainly not buying it, so tell me somethings that happen in the single-player so I may rent it sooner.

ericdrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By ericdrum

What difficulty did you beat the game on?

MrMuscle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MrMuscle

I got it at noon on saturday and finished it around 7-8pm. It was a solid singel player campaign and i enjoyed it more than i did BF3. It is what you've come to expect from a MW game. Intense moments with barely no down time. The fact that they keep putting collectables in there is beyond me because i always feel in such a hurry that i run past most every one of them. I also tried my hand at the black ops and wow, very very much improved. Co-op should be very much fun with these.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Waffles13:Goddamnit, saying it's pretty wrapped up is making me really want to buy it, as I still want to know how it ends for Price and Soap (Don't tell me!). Anyways, could you let me know how much of it is Price and Soap doing crazy ridiculous shit and how much is just playing as a no-name dude running around and doing other shit? If it's a ton of Price and Soap and their stories seem to come to a satisfying close I might pick this up as much as I told myself I was going to wait for it to drop in price significantly...

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Contro

Two more hours to go in the UK.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RsistncE

@Waffles13: So if essentially if an individual loved previous Call of Duty campaigns done by IW, this would be a must play campaign for them also?

Waffles13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Waffles13
    @xobballox said:

@Waffles13:Goddamnit, saying it's pretty wrapped up is making me really want to buy it, as I still want to know how it ends for Price and Soap (Don't tell me!). Anyways, could you let me know how much of it is Price and Soap doing crazy ridiculous shit and how much is just playing as a no-name dude running around and doing other shit? If it's a ton of Price and Soap and their stories seem to come to a satisfying close I might pick this up as much as I told myself I was going to wait for it to drop in price significantly...

First I'll say that the Task Force 141 story fucking ends in this game. Unless they completely, uttlerly combustive some new threat for those two guys to face, there is nothing left for them to do by the end of the game.\

As far as relative play times, there are five characters that you actually play as in the game (along with a couple of throwaway perspectives), and out of those four, three are one mission only. The vast majority is split pretty much 50/50 between the Task Force 141 stuff, where you play as a new guy named Yuri (which is good because you still get to see Soap and Price interact) and a Delta Force team member named Frost, that is basically a new version of the Ramirez/Keith David team from MW2.

The main difference is that, whereas in MW2 the two storylines were pretty much completely separate, the Delta/141 stories here intertwine very nicely. I don't want to say too much, but just because 141 is disavowed doesn't mean they don't have interactions with the rest of the war effort. 

@ericdrum said:

What difficulty did you beat the game on?

Just regular; my attempt at a hardcore run in MW2 got me stuck in the favela and I never went back (also worth mentioning that I'm neither great at nor especially attached to the SP gunplay, mainly from the lack of hit indicators).

One thing I will say is that MW3 starts with a few instances of MW2 style battles where it feels like you're just fighting an endless horde of enemies, which I thought was going to be a massive bummer. Fortunately, after that the end to stay away from too many of those encounters, either by having quick stealth segments, turret sequences, predator drone strikes, etc. It's nothing new to the series, but I felt like every time the combat started to drag a bit they'd throw something new up and it was much appreciated.
    Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Waffles13 said:

@xobballox said:

First I'll say that the Task Force 141 story fucking ends in this game. Unless they completely, uttlerly combustive some new threat for those two guys to face, there is nothing left for them to do by the end of the game.\ As far as relative play times, there are five characters that you actually play as in the game (along with a couple of throwaway perspectives), and out of those four, three are one mission only. The vast majority is split pretty much 50/50 between the Task Force 141 stuff, where you play as a new guy named Yuri (which is good because you still get to see Soap and Price interact) and a Delta Force team member named Frost, that is basically a new version of the Ramirez/Keith David team from MW2. The main difference is that, whereas in MW2 the two storylines were pretty much completely separate, the Delta/141 stories here intertwine very nicely. I don't want to say too much, but just because 141 is disavowed doesn't mean they don't have interactions with the rest of the war effort.

Damn, you're really tempting me :P I really want to see how Price and Soap's story ends. I may have to pick this up now. Thanks for the reply!

Avatar image for thechronodarkness
    thechronodarkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Heres my question, did you notice any significant single player glitches? Battlefield 3 had COUNTLESS glitches on the ps3, with QTEs not working, and some scripted events just simply wouldn't happen when they where supposed to. I could actually clip through a few buildings in single player. Black ops,sometimes the hit detection just didn't work right, and *not so much a glitch* I found many enemie spawn points throughout the game.

I'll probably rent MW3 later tonight through redbox, but I hope the experience is as good as the other IW call of duty games. Battlefield 3s campaign had sooo much promise, at least technically, and it had a bit too many problems to be fully immersed

shaunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By shaunk

No you didn't. Stop being silly.

Waffles13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Waffles13
    @RsistncE said:

@Waffles13: So if essentially if an individual loved previous Call of Duty campaigns done by IW, this would be a must play campaign for them also?

I think so. I'll say again that it's not quite as crazy as MW2 was, but don't get me wrong, it's still pretty nuts and in line with the series. I'd describe the best parts as less of the EMP-ing DC and more of the Gulag assault, massive army battles for this game.
    @mikey87144 said:

Give me spoilers. I might rent the game next year, certainly not buying it, so tell me somethings that happen in the single-player so I may rent it sooner.

I'm not going to give you any story details, but I'll list a couple of the more significant scripted events I can remember (don't read if you want to be surprised at some of the crazy):

And that's not even close to all of it, but a lot of the things that happen require a decent bit of story to really get why they are so awesome.
    Waffles13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Waffles13
    @thechronodarkness said:

Heres my question, did you notice any significant single player glitches?

I had no scripting bugs, no noticeable clipping, no broken QTEs (and there are only like 2 in the game and they're for mashy, dramatic purposes, not difficult), bullets seemed to hit, and I don't remember seeing anyone spawn. I'm not saying the game is technically flawless, but I played through the entire thing in one sitting and no getting stuck or reloading checkpoints except because I was dying because I suck.

@MasturbatingestBear said:

No you didn't. Stop being silly.

Dunno if you're joking, but come back and read my previous post after you play the game.
    DAFTPUNK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#25  Edited By DAFTPUNK

@Waffles13: Is there any moments where your like " WTF just happened that was crazy over the top"

Waffles13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Waffles13
    @DAFTPUNK said:

@Waffles13: Is there any moments where your like " WTF just happened that was crazy over the top"

Not really. There were certainly times where I was grinning just because something was kind of insane, but it never seemed to stray into the realm of completely unrealistic. Everything is over the top and improbable, but the only real bizarre thing is that Russia apparently can single-handedly occupy all of Europe immediately after fighting a drawn out war with the USA.
    thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By thehexeditor

That final mission was fucking amazing.

What a great way to send out the trilogy.

edit: Music by Brian Tyler, Idris Elba and Timothy Olyphant were voice actors (Truck and Grinch?)

That credits music made me almost tear up.. Almost like a swan song for Infinity Ward..I feel like this is the end of Call of Duty (for me, not for Activision..)

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#28  Edited By bybeach

Oh I am so pleased to hear this..It will be hard to stay away from this game till I finish Uncharted 3.

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Contro

My game has just unlocked and about to play :P

MisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By MisterChief

Just beat it on normal in 4 hours and 9 minutes.

NathanStack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By NathanStack

@MisterChief: If the "normal" difficulty is as easy as it was for the past COD games, I'm going to play through on hardened first go.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.