Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Nov 08, 2011

The last installment of the Modern Warfare trilogy brings World War 3 to the world of Call of Duty. While the U.S., British, and French armed forces try to push back the Russian invasion, the disavowed Task Force 141 begin their hunt for international terrorist Vladimir Makarov.

What we can learn about MW3 multiplayer in five seconds

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

There is a five second clip of MW3 multiplayer shown at the end of this trailer.  That five seconds is the entire focus of this thread.

"Kill Streaks" have become "Point Streaks" for at least some game modes.  This would suggest that hopping on flags in domination, trying to capture flags in CTF, or otherwise actually caring about the objectives in objective games will still earn you rewards.

Furthermore, a "Point Streak" counter has been added to the HUD.  You can see it on the far right of the screen.  It starts with 13 lit indicators and 1 that hasn't been lit.  When the point streak is earned, it changes to show how many more points must be earn for the next streak, which is four.  Because of this, we can infer that the highest point streak in the game will be at least an 18 point streak.

It seems "Juggernaut" is a 14 point streak reward.  This could work in several different ways.  I'm guessing that a Juggernaut will be a walking sentry gun of sorts, perhaps using the same survival mode bot AI but in a multiplayer environment.  Another possibility is that YOU become a Juggernaut when activating this streak, and become much harder to kill.

Speaking of streaks, it seems like we'll finally be able to select which streak reward to use after earning more than one.  Notice how the current inactive point streak reward shows a missile (indicating a likely return of the predator missle), and has an arrow to the right indicating to hit right on the d-pad to call in the point streak.  Once the second point streak has be earned, the arrows change to right to call in the streak, or up and down to switch between streaks.

There are two weapons seen in the trailer.  The first looks like the return of the ACR.  The second weapon, the FMG-9, is new to Call of Duty.  According to wikipedia:

"The Magpul FMG-9 is a prototype for a new generation of folding submachine guns, designed by Magpul Industries in 2008. Like other folding machine guns, it would be used for concealed carry and can be disguised as anything from a small package to an extra laptop battery. It is made out of a light-weight polymer material rather than metal, making it very light and easy to carry. It is also small enough even to fit in the back pocket of most everyday pants. It was developed for potential use by personal protection details such as the United States Secret Service. It is still a prototype and may or may not be made in large numbers for law enforcement agencies. The prototype uses a semi-automatic firing mechanism from a 9mm Glock 17 pistol. With modification, the FMG-9 could also use the mechanism of a Glock 18 machine pistol for Class 3 or law enforcement use."

Unless the developers are for some reason showing us a primary weapon that they picked up off the ground, this highly suggests the return of more powerful secondary weapons.

Lastly, unlike previous COD titles, the mini map is in full color.  The map also features a compass at the top for easy direction, which has been moved from the lower right corner of the HUD in previous COD titles.

So, does everyone like the changes and new features?  Did I miss anything?
    Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By Sooperspy

Looks like MW2.
    Also, there is more than just 2 weapons in the trailer.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SpaceInsomniac
    @Redbullet685 said:

Looks like MW2. Also, there is more than just 2 weapons in the trailer.

There is a five second clip of MW3 multiplayer shown at the end of this trailer.  That five seconds is the entire focus of this thread. 

[edit] To avoid further confusion, I've now added this to the original post.
    Taklulas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Taklulas
    @SpaceInsomniac said:
    @Redbullet685 said:

There is a five second clip of MW3 multiplayer shown at the end of this trailer.  That five seconds is the entire focus of this thread.  [edit] To avoid further confusion, I've now added this to the original post.
    And it still looks like the same trash people pay for year after year. Your point?
    Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Sooperspy
    @SpaceInsomniac said:
    @Redbullet685 said:

There is a five second clip of MW3 multiplayer shown at the end of this trailer.  That five seconds is the entire focus of this thread.  [edit] To avoid further confusion, I've now added this to the original post.
    I hadn't even seen the last 5 seconds when I first saw the trailer. That was totally the laptop gun from Perfect Dark!
    beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#6  Edited By beargirl1
    @Taklulas: he's just focusing on the new features for people that do like and care about Call of Duty. that's the point of his post. 
    Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
    deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How can you tell it's MP and not more of the Spec Ops stuff?   
    EDIT - wait, I see how different it is now.

Points streaks are a good idea though. A very good idea actually yes.
    I like the map there too.  

Shame I'll probably be busy with BF3 this year but might pick it up if someone wants to play the co-op stuff with me, we had some good fun with ME2's spec ops missions. I don't mind a dose of silly, brainless shooting once a year for a little while tbh. I know that's blasphemy or something but oh well.

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL
    @drag: You can tell by the HUD that it's most likely a custom game.  
    Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Sooperspy

I think that point streaks could be good.  It should give incentive to actually doing the objectives.
    Still won't buy this when it comes out.  I really want to try it and see if it is just MW2 or something that is actually new.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By PeasantAbuse

I hope they don't have COD Points ($) this year, they kind of ruined the unlock system for me.  

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By EuanDewar

@PeasantAbuse: If I was putting money on it I would say that's something that'll be exclusive to any Treyarch titles. And it might not even appear there.

management

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By management

They aren't exactly showing much during those five seconds, and it seems you have covered everything.

Looks like Modern Warfare 2 with new skins and and a new HUD.

Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Dylabaloo

My wallet belongs to battlefield 3.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By PeasantAbuse
    @EuanDewar: Hopefully, I miss getting camos for headshots and randomly unlocking titles and emblems.
    Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
    sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually liked the point system. It made Black Ops worth playing over and over again till my eyes and hands bled.

SSValis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By SSValis

I want a new engine, but I guess will probably have to wait until the next generation.

bombHills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By bombHills

I am looking forward to this... also riot shields!

Taklulas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Taklulas
    @AjayRaz said:
    @Taklulas: he's just focusing on the new features for people that do like and care about Call of Duty. that's the point of his post. 
    And what a pointless post at that.
    Taklulas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Taklulas
    @Dylabaloo said:

Amen!
    Vexed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Vexed

Point Streaks were in Medal of Honor and I liked them in that game, so cool.

Slurpelve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Slurpelve

I may rent MW3, but after that my money going to Battlefield 3. I like the COD series but after COD 4 I lost interest. 

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By Tennmuerti

So the assimilated the way MoH did streaks.

Good call, it's a better way.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@PeasantAbuse said:
    I hope they don't have COD Points ($) this year, they kind of ruined the unlock system for me.  
    SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SpaceInsomniac
    @Taklulas said:
    @SpaceInsomniac said:
    @Redbullet685 said:

And it still looks like the same trash people pay for year after year. Your point?

My point was that there are only two weapons shown in the multiplayer portion of the new trailer. 

@PeasantAbuse said:

I thought I remember hearing that they won't be back this year.  Forgot where I heard that, though.
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By RsistncE

Call of Duty is shit.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While "point streaks" are a good idea, there really doesn't seem to be enough change between this game and MW2 which I really didn't care for.

Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Arker101

Man, I was hoping to see actual discussion of the trailer instead of "I dislike COD so much, and I want to make it blatantly clear in all CoD threads."   

Now that FMG-9 looks pretty neat, but are we to assume it will be a secondary, because those details you mentioned make it sound kind of weak? 
    I am completely in favor of point rewards which encourages objective play, but I hope the requirements differ based on Game mode because SnD and HQ are very different in point values. 
    that claymore-rain-grenade looks awesome and I would like to know more about it.

Solemn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Solemn

Meh. Like before the only reason I'm getting this is to finish the storyline and probably play the multiplayer for an hour and a half then never touch it again.

bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By bicycleham

Fuck the ACR being chambered in 6.8 and Fuck the FMG.

bigsmoke77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By bigsmoke77

The hud appears to allow killstreaks to be accumlated and switched through.

bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By bicycleham
    @xobballox said:
    @Xolare said:
    Maybe you just don't like the 6.8 round and know this already, but the ACR is able to be chambered in 5.56, 6.8, and 7.62.  It's one of the big benefits of it.  Though, I'm not sure if the 6.8 has been released yet, I know there were plans at some point.
    The idea is that the ACR in the Modern Warfare games are manufactured by Remington, which they are in real life. Remington also manufactures their on 6.8 SPC round. I find it increasingly stupid that they would change the round even though it's probably still the same code for the weapon. A new coat of paint doesn't make a car perform better. Writing ACR 6.8 doesn't make it different than the 5.56 ACR in MW2.
    Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Xolare said:
    @xobballox said:
    @Xolare said:
    Maybe you just don't like the 6.8 round and know this already, but the ACR is able to be chambered in 5.56, 6.8, and 7.62.  It's one of the big benefits of it.  Though, I'm not sure if the 6.8 has been released yet, I know there were plans at some point.
    The idea is that the ACR in the Modern Warfare games are manufactured by Remington, which they are in real life. Remington also manufactures their on 6.8 SPC round. I find it increasingly stupid that they would change the round even though it's probably still the same code for the weapon. A new coat of paint doesn't make a car perform better. Writing ACR 6.8 doesn't make it different than the 5.56 ACR in MW2.
    Ah, yeah.  I see your point, and that is pretty dumb if it is indeed the same code. 
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#33  Edited By ajamafalous

@bigsmoke77 said:

The hud appears to allow killstreaks to be accumlated and switched through.

Dude totally mentioned that in his post.

Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Akrid

I love how they specifically highlighted that the attack dogs now explode... 

bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By bicycleham
    @xobballox said:
    @Xolare said:
    @xobballox said:
    @Xolare said:
    Ah, yeah.  I see your point, and that is pretty dumb if it is indeed the same code. 
    It's Modern Warfare. Of course it's the same code. But even if it is different, I doubt it's much of a difference. Putting 10 rounds into a guy's chest still won't stop him. And plus, the FPG is just a Glock 18.
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Xolare said:
    @xobballox said:
    @Xolare said:
    @xobballox said:
    @Xolare said:
    It's Modern Warfare. Of course it's the same code. But even if it is different, I doubt it's much of a difference. Putting 10 rounds into a guy's chest still won't stop him. And plus, the FPG is just a Glock 18.
    Yeah, and that's why I probably won't buy this until it's 20 bucks or at all depending on reactions from people.
    Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#37  Edited By Hector

@Dylabaloo said:

Same here! I'm done with CoD.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#38  Edited By Vinny_Says

it's a custom game because the +50 was gray...

....they will never change it from yellow.  

@SpaceInsomniac: When FOURZEROTWO dies the kill feed shows a plane killing him???

RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blacklabeldomm said:

@SpaceInsomniac: When FOURZEROTWO dies the kill feed shows a plane killing him???
    Probably a place-holder until they get the icon for that kill in or something.
    SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By SpaceInsomniac
    @Arker101 said:

I am completely in favor of point rewards which encourages objective play, but I hope the requirements differ based on Game mode because SnD and HQ are very different in point values. that claymore-rain-grenade looks awesome and I would like to know more about it.

Yes, it will be especially interesting if playing the objective earns point streaks more effectively than getting simple kills.  For example, what if a kill was one point, but a flag cap was two or three?  Or what if the point streaks in objective modes featured much higher requirements from TDM?   A predator missile could be five kills in TDM, but 10 points in domination.  Then, a kill could be a point, a kill while you're capping a flag could be 2 points, a flag cap could be three or four points, etc.  

There're a lot of ways that they could go with it.  I'll look forward to finding out the exact details in September.
    Witzig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Witzig

This actually looks like a lot fun of I missed out on the last two CoDs and seeing that BF3 won't have mod support (don't worry I still have Red Orchestra 2 Heroes of Stalingrad for my modding needs) I might actually pick it up this year.
    jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#42  Edited By jacdg

@SpaceInsomniac said:

@Arker101 said:

I am completely in favor of point rewards which encourages objective play, but I hope the requirements differ based on Game mode because SnD and HQ are very different in point values. that claymore-rain-grenade looks awesome and I would like to know more about it.

Yes, it will be especially interesting if playing the objective earns point streaks more effectively than getting simple kills. For example, what if a kill was one point, but a flag cap was two or three? Or what if the point streaks in objective modes featured much higher requirements from TDM? A predator missile could be five kills in TDM, but 10 points in domination. Then, a kill could be a point, a kill while you're capping a flag could be 2 points, a flag cap could be three or four points, etc. There're a lot of ways that they could go with it. I'll look forward to finding out the exact details in September.

I really really hope they aren't stupid enough not to split up points, so that if you actually play the objective in the objectivemodes you will earn more points than you do for kills, but they do some of that already, so I can't see why they shouldn't do it with this.

Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Twisted_Scot

That Fourzerotwo sucks at COD MP? And that somehow the kill had something to do with a UAV or plane.

Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Arker101
    @JacDG said:

@SpaceInsomniac said:

@Arker101 said:

I am completely in favor of point rewards which encourages objective play, but I hope the requirements differ based on Game mode because SnD and HQ are very different in point values. that claymore-rain-grenade looks awesome and I would like to know more about it.

Yes, it will be especially interesting if playing the objective earns point streaks more effectively than getting simple kills. For example, what if a kill was one point, but a flag cap was two or three? Or what if the point streaks in objective modes featured much higher requirements from TDM? A predator missile could be five kills in TDM, but 10 points in domination. Then, a kill could be a point, a kill while you're capping a flag could be 2 points, a flag cap could be three or four points, etc. There're a lot of ways that they could go with it. I'll look forward to finding out the exact details in September.

I really really hope they aren't stupid enough not to split up points, so that if you actually play the objective in the objectivemodes you will earn more points than you do for kills, but they do some of that already, so I can't see why they shouldn't do it with this.

If Black Ops can determine where your killing foes from, which it could because Lightweight Pro required you to kill guys standing near their objective, it would be great if the game would give higher point values based on location and direction. In some gametypes you don't really trade objetives very often (SnD and Demolition) but others have you gaining a score from holding objectives, so yeah having to kill defensively or offensively will probably factor into that point meter.
    SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By SpaceInsomniac
    @Twisted_Scot said:
    That Fourzerotwo sucks at COD MP? And that somehow the kill had something to do with a UAV or plane.
    That kill is either from a point streak reward or a piece of new equipment.  Which one is unknown, but either way, it's the most noticeable aspect of the whole clip, so I didn't bother saying anything about it.  And it's probably less true that Fourzerotwo was playing multiplayer poorly, and more true that they wanted to stage a video that clearly shows whatever that thing on the ground is, and how it leads to a juggernaut 14th point streak. 

Now for a question of my own.  I've seen two different sources claim that the full color mini map is a "3D" mini map that will show which floor people are on when inside a building, or on a rooftop.  Is there honestly a way to tell that from this video--perhaps something that I just didn't notice--or do you think it's just wild speculation presented as fact?
    Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Twisted_Scot
    @SpaceInsomniac: Yeah was joking about the guy sucking, but as for the 3D mini-map, if it does what you say then it'll probably just be the whole 
    Arrow pointing up = enemy above
     down = below
     dot = Same level.
    Doubt it will be anything groundbreaking although maybe handy. Tho didnt i read somwhere that they wanted to get away from vertical style maps? Who knows what they will actually do.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.