10 Spaghetti Western movies you should watch.

#1 Posted by mordukai (7179 posts) -
1) The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.
2) Once Upon a Time in the West.
3) High Noon.
4) A Fistful of Dollars.
5) Death Rides a Horse.
6) The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. 
7) For A few Dollars More.
8) 3:10 To Yuma (1957 original and the 2007 remake)
9) Hang 'Em High.
10) High Plains Drifter. 

#2 Posted by 71Ranchero (2794 posts) -
@Mordukai said:
"
"
Great movie.
#3 Posted by JeffGoldblum (3709 posts) -

You should also play Gun.
Great story and you can pick it up for about 10 dollars.

#4 Posted by mordukai (7179 posts) -
@Atramentous said:
" @Mordukai said:
"
"
Great movie. "
Thanks. I also think that the soundtrack for The Good, The Bad and The Ugly is the best I ever heard. 
#5 Posted by JacobBrodersen (321 posts) -
@Mordukai said:
"
2) Once Upon a Time in the West.

4) A Fistful of Dollars.

6) The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. 

8) 3:10 To Yuma (2007 remake)
"
Seen em, love em!

Those others i'll check out :)
#6 Posted by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -

Sergio Leone was a genius.

#7 Posted by CountRockula (398 posts) -
@Mordukai: The Good the Bad & the Ugly soundtrack is most definitely awesome.  Sergio Leone was great, but I would have enjoyed his movies significantly less were it not for Ennio Morricone.
#8 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -
@Mordukai said:
"
4) A Fistful of Dollars.
7) For A few Dollars More.

"
The only ones i've seen... 
ive probably seen another 2 from your list on TV sometime but didnt notice the title.

CLINT EASTWOOD FTW
#9 Posted by c1337us (5751 posts) -

All great movies. But I am pretty sure not all of them are "spaghetti" westerns.

#10 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -
@c1337us said:
" All great movies. But I am pretty sure not all of them are "spaghetti" westerns. "
true. only the spaghetti ones are spaghetti ones.. 
#11 Posted by jakob187 (21728 posts) -
@Mordukai said:
" @Atramentous said:
" @Mordukai said:
"1) The Good, The Bad and The Ugly."
Great movie. "
Thanks. I also think that the soundtrack for The Good, The Bad and The Ugly is the best I ever heard. 
"
Still don't see why people like this one more than A Fistful of Dollars, which is a vastly superior film.  =  /  Oh well.
#12 Posted by MB (12911 posts) -

Since this list isn't made up exclusively of true spaghetti westerns, I would like to submit The Outlaw Josey Wales. He always goes back for a friend.

#13 Edited by jakob187 (21728 posts) -
@MB said:
" Since this list isn't made up exclusively of true spaghetti westerns, I would like to submit The Outlaw Josey Wales. He always goes back for a friend. "
Such a great film.

Also, I just realized that the list in the OP doesn't have Django...and so it fails.

HOW can a thread about spaghetti westerns NOT have Django?!

Hell, there's nothing from the "God Forgives, I Don't" trilogy as well!!!  NO BOOT HILL?!?!?!

Mordukai, you DO know what a spaghetti western is, right?
#14 Posted by JukeboxJoe (242 posts) -

Don't forget Tombstone. Val Kilmer is brilliant in that. And how could you not include Unforgiven! I agree with everything else that's been said

#15 Posted by Atlas (2457 posts) -

Once Upon a Time in the West is the only spaghetti western I have seen at this point. It also happens to be the best fucking film I've ever seen. I'm amazed in myself for not having seen The Good, The Bad and The Ugly yet.

#16 Posted by PercyChuggs (1087 posts) -

Why do they call it a "spaghetti" western anyways?

#17 Posted by jakob187 (21728 posts) -
@PercyChuggs said:
" Why do they call it a "spaghetti" western anyways? "
They are Westerns that were made in Europe rather than America.  Basically, the Italians saw that Westerns made a shitload of money, so they decided to start making them in the hopes that it would do the same overseas...and it did.
#18 Posted by Muffin_Hunter (176 posts) -

If you're into Leone westerns then you should see A Fistful of Dynamite. It also has another great film score composed by Ennio Morricone. 

#19 Posted by JacobForrest (307 posts) -
@JeffGoldblum: Gun was decent, but spending $10 to rent Bound in Blood is probably a better idea. It's the perfect length for a rental.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.