Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jun 30, 2009

Join Ray McCall and his brother Thomas on a quest for gold, lust, and greed.

I've Gotta Say, This is Incredibly Optimized.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By CL60

The game has quite good visuals yet i'm running it maxed out with the resolution at 1680x1050 getting a constant 100+ FPS.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By AhmadMetallic

i know theres SOMETHING called a framerate which is related to the visual performance but i dunno the details or whether the framerate should be low or high .. thats what the FPS is isnt it?

anyway, ive played with my cousin this whole morning and i LOVE IT !!! graphics are fucking super and the missions and shooting are SO MUCH FUN xD .

im not sure what resolution im running, i'll check and tell you, but it was crystal clear and ran perfectly
    c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By c1337us

I have the first one but I never really like it enough to finish it. I seen this one just made it out but I dont know if I want to pick it up, especially when there is another Red Dead game on the way, I might just wait for that one.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By get2sammyb

I really like this game. Brilliant plot too in my opinion.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By CL60
    @c1337us said:
    " I have the first one but I never really like it enough to finish it. I seen this one just made it out but I dont know if I want to pick it up, especially when there is another Red Dead game on the way, I might just wait for that one. "
    Get it, it's great.
    RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By RedSox8933
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " i know theres SOMETHING called a framerate which is related to the visual performance but i dunno the details or whether the framerate should be low or high .. thats what the FPS is isnt it?"
    FPS in used in that context is Frames per Second.
    c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By c1337us
    @CL60 said:
    " @c1337us said:
    " I have the first one but I never really like it enough to finish it. I seen this one just made it out but I dont know if I want to pick it up, especially when there is another Red Dead game on the way, I might just wait for that one. "
    Get it, it's great. "
    I might have to consider it because I think there is a little lean patch of decent games (that interest me) coming up until late August. But do you reckon I would have to go back and replay the first one to finish it before playing this one?
    JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By JoelTGM

Yes it's insane.  I got the original Call of Juarez for free with steam, and I could only play that game on about medium/high at 30 fps.  I was so shocked that I was able to play Bound in Blood at 50+ FPS on totally maxed graphics.  It looks so amazing too, they have a really good game engine that they made.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#9  Edited By Forcen
    @CL60: Can you post a full sized screenshot of this please? I whould like to see the game with highest settings.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By jakob187
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " i know theres SOMETHING called a framerate which is related to the visual performance but i dunno the details or whether the framerate should be low or high .. thats what the FPS is isnt it?"
    The higher, the better.  30 frames is what a lot of console games run at.  60 frames is the minimum that PC gamers expect from a title.  100 frames is fucking godly!
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By CL60
    @Forcen said:
    " @CL60: Can you post a full sized screenshot of this please? I whould like to see the game with highest settings. "
    Alright one second. Ill go take one

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Diamond

They're called Techland for good reason.  The 360 version performs well too, seems to go between 30fps and 60fps.  I'm more impressed with the amazing fidelity of the forests and such.

BiB adds some new effects to CoJ.  The way they did the water reflections during the rainy parts is pretty interesting.  There seems to be a faked SSAO effect going on, never seen anything quite like it, looks like shadow outlines are being applied in some cases around geometry in the frame buffer.  Not as nice as other SSAO effects I've seen but it's probably 'cheaper'.  They did a good job with dust effects, shadow mapping seems to be used better.  I think they made a lot of art improvements.

I noticed some graphics downgrades from the 360 CoJ1, no refraction effect for panes of glass anymore, and no more real god ray effects (they went back to the simple 'god ray' like effect that you see in games from Halo 1 to Fable 2) ('Real' god rays don't depend on you viewing the origin of the rays, for example in CoJ1 you could be completely under a building, look up in a direction not towards the sun and see the rays), BiB also fakes god rays with that PS1-era alpha transparent static mesh technique as well.

I don't know if the PC version of BiB has those effects, I'd like to see.  The god rays and refractive glass panes weren't in the PC DX9 or DX10 version of CoJ1 if I recall.  There was also some basic 'cloud shadow' effects, probably just tax the fill rate, and don't always look great.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Stang

The game looks great, but I kept getting owned so I quit. How the hell do you get passed the part where you have to knife dudes in the wheat field, stealth style? It seems like it should be easy....yet my ass is continually getting handed to me.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Diamond
    @Stang said:
    " The game looks great, but I kept getting owned so I quit. How the hell do you get passed the part where you have to knife dudes in the wheat field, stealth style? It seems like it should be easy....yet my ass is continually getting handed to me. "
    The way I did it was pop my head up real quick to see where they are, then go back to ducking, trying to swing around them so they'd lose track of where I was coming from.  I killed 2 of them without them noticing me, then had to go wild and fast for the last few.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Al3xand3r

It has incredibly low LOD distances and horrible pop-in, similar to, but worse than, Crysis. I'm gonna need some heavy tweaking to get it less annoying but then again I've already finished it so... Oh well. It does look and run great overall, and it was pretty damn fun while it lasted.

You don't have to knife the dudes, get close to one, pull your guns out, stand up and shoot everyone fast before they own your brother.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

ParanoidFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ParanoidFreak

100 FPS is always very nice, this game looks great graphically too. I'm not sure if I'm sold on the gameplay though, how is it?

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Al3xand3r

Have to track down the original, it's not looking as good, but not that bad. I wanna play as the badass preacher (Bound in Blood is prequel) :D

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CL60

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    They look better full sized, but whaddaya gonna do? I'm lazy and dont feel like uploading all of these, I may upload a few eventually who knows.
    Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#21  Edited By Forcen
    @DOUBLESHOCK:
    @CL60:

Thanks, it looks like it is on par with Far Cry 2 even.
    Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By Gunner

I found the object pop-in horrible once you get to the free roaming areas.

Ran smooth as butter on my year old rig though.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By CL60
    @Gunner said:
    " I found the object pop-in horrible once you get to the free roaming areas. Ran smooth as butter on my year old rig though. "
    I'm not getting any pop in.
    sheira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By sheira
    @Stang said:
    " The game looks great, but I kept getting owned so I quit. How the hell do you get passed the part where you have to knife dudes in the wheat field, stealth style? It seems like it should be easy....yet my ass is continually getting handed to me. "
    That was actually pretty easy lol. Did it on first time. All you have to do is listen. You can always start again on easy mode lolz.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Damn now I want to play this, do you have to have played the previous game?

walreese55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By walreese55

damn,  i only get 60 on my 9800 GTX+.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.