Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Feb 25, 2014

Play as the vampire lord Dracula and wreak vengeance against your enemies in this continuation to the Lords of Shadow reboot of the Castlevania franchise.

Can I just jump in?

angrywookie29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So this game looks ridiculous as hell, in a good way, and based on the amount of fun Vinny had with the first one I was thinking about picking this up. But i'm worried that since I really haven't played any other Castlevania game before this, especially the first Lords of Shadows game, I will be woefully unprepared for this game. I can easily play the first game, but what about that DS game or whatever that came out? Any thoughts?

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Steadying

Story-wise? Uhhh, I guess you can? You probably won't find it difficult to follow but it will definitely not mean nearly as much to you as it would if you played LoS 1.

As for the 3DS one, I have no idea. I haven't played it. It seems to be pretty important though. You can get it on everything now, though I'm pretty sure.

UltimAXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played through HD Mirror of Fate and was surprised at how little impact it had on the overall plot. There were like three or four important story beats and you'd be fine if someone simply told you what they were. I feel like most of the important stuff, mainly the lineage of the Belmont clan, is just part of the basic description of the game.

Gabriel and Marie had a son, Trevor (who Gabriel never knew of). Trevor has a son named Simon. After Gabe becomes Dracula, Trevor goes off to challenge his father. He tells his wife that if he does not return, to flee with Simon. Trevor leaves a piece of a magical mirror with Simon. The game never says what the "mirror of fate" actually is, although there is a creature that assists the characters as they navigate the castle, leading them to their fate, one might say. I think that Trevor ends up attacking it and busts its jaw so that it can no longer speak. Anyway, Trevor, shockingly, does not return. Simon and his mom take off, but only Simon manages to escape alive. Trevor fights Dracula and loses. Just as he's about to die he tells Dracula that he is his son. Dracula gets all sad and turns Trevor into a vampire and puts him in a coffin to heal. Simon is next at bat, so he grows up and enters Castlevania. Trevor, now Alucard, wakes up and helps Simon navigate the castle. The two of them team up to fight Dracula and although they are unable to kill him, they weaken him significantly. Dracula flees. Alucard does not reveal to Simon that he is Trevor. Alucard flies off and Simon leaves the castle on some other adventure. Simon had the combat cross last, which might matter in LoS2.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mrfluke
    Loading Video...
    Loading Video...

@angrywookie29: just watch this and this and you should be totally fine.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By hatking

I was wondering the same thing. I think I've glossed most of the major arc from Vinny's playthrough and banter. And I am fine not knowing the minor details. Beyond that, I'd imagine most of it will be easily drawn from context while playing the new one, I hope. I guess we'll find out once it gets released and people start talking about it. I'm definitely interested in this though.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By cloudymusic

@ultimaxe said:

I played through HD Mirror of Fate and was surprised at how little impact it had on the overall plot. There were like three or four important story beats and you'd be fine if someone simply told you what they were. I feel like most of the important stuff, mainly the lineage of the Belmont clan, is just part of the basic description of the game.

Gabriel and Marie had a son, Trevor (who Gabriel never knew of). Trevor has a son named Simon. After Gabe becomes Dracula, Trevor goes off to challenge his father. He tells his wife that if he does not return, to flee with Simon. Trevor leaves a piece of a magical mirror with Simon. The game never says what the "mirror of fate" actually is, although there is a creature that assists the characters as they navigate the castle, leading them to their fate, one might say. I think that Trevor ends up attacking it and busts its jaw so that it can no longer speak. Anyway, Trevor, shockingly, does not return. Simon and his mom take off, but only Simon manages to escape alive. Trevor fights Dracula and loses. Just as he's about to die he tells Dracula that he is his son. Dracula gets all sad and turns Trevor into a vampire and puts him in a coffin to heal. Simon is next at bat, so he grows up and enters Castlevania. Trevor, now Alucard, wakes up and helps Simon navigate the castle. The two of them team up to fight Dracula and although they are unable to kill him, they weaken him significantly. Dracula flees. Alucard does not reveal to Simon that he is Trevor. Alucard flies off and Simon leaves the castle on some other adventure. Simon had the combat cross last, which might matter in LoS2.

But Castlevania III stars Trevor, who's fighting alongside Alucard. Is that stuff all retconned now or something?

EDIT: Oh, it obviously has to be, because CV3 was originally set 200 years before Simon lived. So I guess LoS just reused all of the Belmont names to lay the foundation for a new backstory.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, Lords of Shadow is a reboot.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.