Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Oct 05, 2010

In this reboot of the beloved Castlevania franchise, Gabriel Belmont goes on a quest to defeat the sinister Lords of Shadow, who are preventing the souls of the departed from passing on to the afterlife, in order to obtain from them a magical mask that will bring his murdered wife Marie back from the dead.

Some kind of Lord in the shadows.

d0x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 8

Edited By d0x

Despite being a child of the 80s and a massive nes nerd as a kid I never got into the Castlevania series.  Even more modern games never held my interest despite being quality games.  This is why I found it odd that I bought the new game instead of Enslaved which I had been anticipating.  I wasnt really sure what to expect.  I knew the combat was God of Warish which isnt a bad thing and I knew Kojima had his hand in this somehow.  While I knew a basic overview of the story from all the games I didnt know what I was in for here and honestly despite being a couple hours into Lord of Shadow I still dont know how it fits in with the series as a whole. 

Being that im am only a couple hours in I also dont know how much I like the game yet.  I have no complaints about the combat, although I was hoping for more depth and I might find it as I continue to level up and unlock new things.  My only real issue so far is how linear the game feels.  Now God of War is also very linear but the levels have that massive open feel to them.  Lord of Shadow seems to be full of incredibly narrow paths that feel cramped and while it does sometimes branch they always end up at the same place.  Despite the game being so linear I also get the feeling that im somehow lost.  I know that doesnt make any sense but the feeling is there and I can never seem to shake it. 

Based on what I've played some far I would recommend anyone who likes action games to go ahead and pick it up.  The game is fun, its pretty and it has some really good sound design.  I just dont know where the game is going or how its going to end up.  Thats not a bad thing I guess but in this day and age thats a rarity and I suppose the fact that im in this situation might be a good thing and it might change the way i buy games.  Aside from a few min playing the demo a couple weeks ago I havent watched or read anything about this game so everything feels mysterious and fresh. 

Im done rambling for now, my thoughts are a bit disjointed and unlcear and ill blame that on the fact that im horribly sick and need sleep.

d0x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By d0x

Despite being a child of the 80s and a massive nes nerd as a kid I never got into the Castlevania series.  Even more modern games never held my interest despite being quality games.  This is why I found it odd that I bought the new game instead of Enslaved which I had been anticipating.  I wasnt really sure what to expect.  I knew the combat was God of Warish which isnt a bad thing and I knew Kojima had his hand in this somehow.  While I knew a basic overview of the story from all the games I didnt know what I was in for here and honestly despite being a couple hours into Lord of Shadow I still dont know how it fits in with the series as a whole. 

Being that im am only a couple hours in I also dont know how much I like the game yet.  I have no complaints about the combat, although I was hoping for more depth and I might find it as I continue to level up and unlock new things.  My only real issue so far is how linear the game feels.  Now God of War is also very linear but the levels have that massive open feel to them.  Lord of Shadow seems to be full of incredibly narrow paths that feel cramped and while it does sometimes branch they always end up at the same place.  Despite the game being so linear I also get the feeling that im somehow lost.  I know that doesnt make any sense but the feeling is there and I can never seem to shake it. 

Based on what I've played some far I would recommend anyone who likes action games to go ahead and pick it up.  The game is fun, its pretty and it has some really good sound design.  I just dont know where the game is going or how its going to end up.  Thats not a bad thing I guess but in this day and age thats a rarity and I suppose the fact that im in this situation might be a good thing and it might change the way i buy games.  Aside from a few min playing the demo a couple weeks ago I havent watched or read anything about this game so everything feels mysterious and fresh. 

Im done rambling for now, my thoughts are a bit disjointed and unlcear and ill blame that on the fact that im horribly sick and need sleep.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.