Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Champions Online

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Sep 01, 2009

Champions Online is a superhero action-MMORPG for PC. It was developed by Cryptic Studios, the makers of City of Heroes.

Anybody Gonna Start Playing this on the 25?

MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By MistaSparkle

I am currently messing around in the demo, but will start playing the game when it becomes F2P. All I need is a better graphics card :P But anyways...anyone else gonna try it?

Maystack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Maystack

I'll probably spend hours in the character creation, but never actually play the game.

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By shiftymagician

I might give it a go.  I don't play any MMo's unless they are F2P, as I personally don't see anything in MMO's that truly justify a monthly subscription.  That is just me though.  The character variety in that game looks great at least and I enjoyed the quick look on it.

Aether

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Aether

I played when it came out until about half a year ago. The game is alright but the end-game is fairly sparse. Out of all of the MMO's i have played it is probably tied with LOTRO in terms of grinding. I had a great time when i had my friends to play with but without others the game was painful. 

In CoH/V there is something to do by yourself toward the end that feels epic in terms of involving you in the world.. In this game you get to farm monsters over and over. Much like LOTRO with its trait grinding. The dungeons are fairly fun but the last one that came out kind of requires a fairly competent group with good communication or with very optimized builds.

Looking over the F2P restrictions its kind of a bummer. I have serious altoholic syndrome so being limited to 2 slots would be painful for me. Especially if you cant have a custom build.

It is a good time waster but if you are looking for something a bit more grand you might want to pass on this one. Regardless i still enjoyed the game and will probably go back to it over WoW if my friends go back to it.

MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MistaSparkle
    @ShiftyMagician: Same here. I love the character creator in this game. Unfortunately, the one in the demo is limited, but when its F2P it'll be an enormous amount of content to play with. Plus I'm really glad its not another fantasy MMO.
    shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By shiftymagician
    @MistaSparkle said:
    " @ShiftyMagician: Same here. I love the character creator in this game. Unfortunately, the one in the demo is limited, but when its F2P it'll be an enormous amount of content to play with. Plus I'm really glad its not another fantasy MMO. "
    The bolded statement exactly describes my current problem with MMO's.  I do not want to play EVE as it is way too spreadsheet-heavy with how the gameplay works and I do not want to involve myself with any corporations.  That aside, how many popular non-fantasy MMO's are there really?  If there is ever going to be a Mass Effect MMO or if Black Prophecy actually releases when I am still alive (Space Ship Dogfighting MMO sounds real interesting to me), it would be really tempting to try them out.  Again though, they would likely be subscription-based and I would be forced to decline.

Anyways, good to know that the F2P model will have what sounds like similar if not the same variety of character customization in the game, however I am sure there will be some accessories that require a micro-transaction of course.
    mm665

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By mm665

I played demo yesterday. Character creator is great (I created mix between Deadpool and Sub-Zero). 
    Will play more when it becomes free.

Nasos100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Nasos100

nah F2P is crap. They lock out enough content for me not to give a shit. I will probably check DCUO instead

MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MistaSparkle
    @Nasos100 said:
    " nah F2P is crap. They lock out enough content for me not to give a shit. I will probably check DCUO instead "
    As long as I can use the gigantic shark head from the quicklook I'll be fine.
    SilenceUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By SilenceUK

As long as i can use the character i leveled for a while before it goes F2P i will jump back in for a bit
    CaptainTryHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By CaptainTryHard

I might play. Can we start up a guild or "Super Hero Team" in this like how we have our WoW guild?

Avatar image for a_cute_squirtle
    A_Cute_Squirtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By A_Cute_Squirtle

I might. Depends if my computer can handle it or not. I like the character creator. 

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By DeeGee

The fact that free players don't get much of the character customization parts means that I won't be touching this game.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MikkaQ

I love the character creator I saw in the Quick Look, but I'm just not able to get into MMOs. They just.. kinda bore me. 

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By CL60
    @ShiftyMagician: A Mass Effect MMO will most likely never exist. Bioware would have to compete with themselves.
    Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Rattle618

I was thinking of getting into it yes, but I probably wont unless I have some people to play with. 
    So if there are a few of us here we should definitively start a guild (or whatever its called in this game), let me know!

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#17  Edited By FLStyle

I'll be giving it a go, I haven't touched it since the Beta in 2009, a GB F2P Champions Online guild may be in order?

Malakhii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Malakhii

I'll give it a try since I remember having some fun in CoH back in the day. I doubt I'll get into it hardcore though. 

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By shiftymagician
    @CL60 said:
    " @ShiftyMagician: A Mass Effect MMO will most likely never exist. Bioware would have to compete with themselves. "
    I know, and that sucks the most.  That Star Wars MMO just pales in comparison to what the ME MMO could potentially do.  Just my personal view on it, as I would much rather play a Star Wars MMO that strictly exists within the time period of the first three movies, and expands the universe with that retro future look that was present in said movies.  This is assuming that I even wanted to play a Star Wars anything to begin with.

Bioware picked what will probably be the most lucrative choice, but I feel it wasn't the most interesting one.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jimbo
    @ShiftyMagician said:
    "or if Black Prophecy actually releases when I am still alive... "
    I've played some BP, it's... not good.
    shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By shiftymagician
    @Jimbo said:
    " @ShiftyMagician said:
    I've played some BP, it's... not good. "
    Oh man that's not good to hear.  Thanks for saying that, though I would like to ask what was the key thing about it so far that ruined the experience for you?  Lack of action? Uninteresting mission variety?  Bad mechanics with the ships themselves?
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jimbo
    @ShiftyMagician said:
    " @Jimbo said:
    " @ShiftyMagician said:
    I've played some BP, it's... not good. "
    Oh man that's not good to hear.  Thanks for saying that, though I would like to ask what was the key thing about it so far that ruined the experience for you?  Lack of action? Uninteresting mission variety?  Bad mechanics with the ships themselves? "
    Lack of MMO and just bad mission/game design in general.  It looks good, controls fine and I'm not too worried about the rough edges (of which there are plenty atm) because they can be worked out in time, but the early game structure is bad enough to make me think they have no idea what they're trying to achieve, and no amount of polish can fix that.  

It starts strongly enough: the 'intro mission' has you manning a turret on a capital ship, defending it during a fairly action packed battle (all AI though).  After that the game just dies.  I played about the next half a dozen story missions (there are also secondary "go to this instance and shoot some mobs" missions) and each story mission was more coma-inducing than the last.  They generally involve going to some instance on your own, where nothing at all interesting happens (though it manages to happen very, very slowly) and then leaving.  This process manages to get interrupted constantly by badly written exposition, and then bookended with terrible cutscenes.  The fighting isn't actually too bad when you get to do some and maybe the game gets really good later, but I don't think many people are gonna have the patience to stick around and find out.

Basically, they should have made their game feel like the Battle of Endor, but for the most part it just feels like the mission at the start of X-Wing Alliance where you move crates.
    djames216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#23  Edited By djames216

I'm gonna give CO F2P a go.  Like other(s) have said here, I have already played around with the Demo "Free Trial" mode that they currently have.  This does at least help prepare noobs (such as myself) a little on how to play before diving into the "main world".  I included CO in a list of free PC games I made here.

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

City of Heroes is the best MMO ever made. Just sayin'.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Demyx

I might check it out over the summer. Probably not during classes though.

TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TheGremp

Reading through the FAQ, it all seemed pretty solid...  Until I saw the Archetype list.  All free users are going to be limited to 8 mediocre movesets?  That's gonna be boring.

TheChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TheChaos

With what they're cutting out in the free version it's not even worth playing. 
    I'll maybe try out DCU Online....when it gets more content/updates. 

Or just wait till Guild Wars 2.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

I'll play.  I'm already a member but I can do some teaming.  I
    think the only limiting point to the F2P version is how much
    flexibility you get in how the character looks. But you can
    buy parts if they put up a store for it.  Hell, I wish I had waited
    for the F2P version myself, but I'm fine with seeing a lot of
    people jump into the game & get it going again.  Maybe it
    generate enough revenue to add more content & features.
    The game had a lot of promise back before the release.
    Villains & a Sidekick.  I don't know how much of that has
    been implemented so far, but I'm guessing none at this
    point.  Fucking Star Trek happened & shit all over the 
    ass-kickery that would have been Champions.

matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By matt

I'm definitely going to give it a go. After playing DC Universe I actually like Champions more.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#30  Edited By TheHT

Just created my character. But I don't like the way he walks so I decided to check the interwebz and see if it could be changed.

EDIT: I just realized I spent 2 hours in the character creator.

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#31  Edited By jaqen_hghar

I might play it a bit now and then in the coming months, if I don't feel like playing other stuff. I should really, since I have a lifetime sub... yeah, I know. But I have calculated that I would have paid more than the lifetime sub if I where to play as much as I did. Yet, my highest level character is only level 19... too much fun to make new characters and try out different powers, plus I rarely like to play with other people. The only reason I got it was the insane customization really.

Trebz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Trebz

I would give it a go, but the F2P mode seems like a glorified demo, so nah.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.