Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Check vs. Mate

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Aug 16, 2012

The spiritual sequel to the classic Battle Chess, Check vs. Mate is based upon ChessBase's Fritz! chess algorithm software.

It's out on Steam! Impressions?

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By artofwar420

Anyone play it? Seems cool, at least to fill up my "Chess" category which is empty. Also, if I remember the only other chess game was removed from Steam leaving us with Battle vs Chess.

No Caption Provided

http://store.steampowered.com/app/211050/

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

#2  Edited By BeachThunder

ok, there's a QL of this coming out, so I checked the wiki page, it says that this game was formerly called Battle vs. Chess. Then I checked Steam, and it looks like it's still called 'Battle vs. Chess o_O

Anyway, now I'm contemplating picking this up =\ I remember loving Battle Chess; that game had some cool animations:

deerokus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By deerokus

It seems to be called Check vs Mate in the US and Battle vs Chess over here in the UK (and maybe other countries other than the US?).

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@deerokus said:

It seems to be called Check vs Mate in the US and Battle vs Chess over here in the UK (and maybe other countries other than the US?).

Both of those names are funny as hell. Check vs Mate because it makes no sense (I'm aware it's a play on words but still. Battle vs Chess because a battle would obviously destroy a chess board.

ryno9881

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By ryno9881

So if I read this correctly, its just regular chess but with cool animations and stuff?

Does it have online multiplayer? I assume it does.

EvilNiGHTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By EvilNiGHTS

I saw this go up and down on Steam pretty quickly a month ago, but after doing some research (i.e. reading Wikipedia) it basically looks like it was ready to go last year but got blocked by Interplay back in 2010 due to their Battle Chess trademark. You know, that thing they haven't done anything with for nearly two decades. Different names in different territories does seem like the sort of thing you'd associate with a trademark dispute.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.