Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Child of Eden

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jun 14, 2011

Q Entertainment's music shooter for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. It features support for the Kinect and Move controllers, and is considered a spiritual successor to the cult classic, Rez.

Child of Eden OST vs Genki Rockets

DevWil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By DevWil

So, in my review of the game, I mentioned that I would totally listen to a Gamer's Guide to Child of Eden (in reference to the Gamer's Guide to Rez). 

Since writing that review, I've been thinking that may have been a really ignorant thing to say. But I'm not sure. 

I really don't like Genki Rockets, Mizuguchi's band whose music is the soundtrack for Child of Eden. I love the music in Child of Eden, though. But it's just Genki Rockets songs. But I don't like Genki Rockets. 

I mean, am I crazy? Do I actually like Genki Rockets, or would a Gamer's Guide to Child of Eden not simply be a Genki Rockets album? I can't tell. Are the songs that dramatically re-arranged? I seriously can't judge for myself. Except for a few really great bass lines, it's hard for me to remember the music of Child of Eden in any specificity, even minutes after playing.

But seriously, I don't like Genki Rockets.

umdesch4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By umdesch4

I do like Genki Rockets, but there are a lot of somewhat clichéd J-pop tropes in there, so I understand it not being for everyone. I've noticed that what's presented in Child of Eden is significantly remixed, much more techno-electronic instrumental arrangements using the original vocals in snippets, and much of the distinct palette of sounds from the old album versions of the tracks. Still, though, over 3/4 of what I've heard so far (and I'm not quite done the game yet) is recognizable as a specific Genki Rocket track I can identify.

I like what they've done with it, and in many ways I like it more than the original tracks. It reminds me of certain 80s bands. The extended club remixes of their songs were awesome, but when I listened to the versions on the album, they just weren't for me.

So I'd have to say, yeah, a Child of Eden soundtrack would be fairly called "Genki Rockets - Heavenly Star (Child of Eden Remixes and Reinterpretations)"

Avatar image for deactivated-6109c8479bb3d
    deactivated-6109c8479bb3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

I really think the word I use to describe it is a "diluted" form of Genki Rockets. Personally, I own a Genki Rockets album in my iPod. Honestly, it's a bit much at times. Sometimes the saccharine tunes, and the usual "Engrish" accent that pops up really makes me turn it off. It just confirms that Mizuguchi is consistently living in a happy place full of nice dreams and bright sunshine.  

I do like Breeze and maybe even Heavenly Star, but I feel like I'm admitting that I own the album for the pure novelty. Regardless, I would buy a Genki Rockets: Eden Edition, because I do like how it's remixes. However, I did wish that the lyrical hooks of the songs were more pronounced in the remixes for Eden. You can hear them, but they're a bit underwhelming. I suppose my expectations were not met when I heard the mp3 version of Eden's Star Line. It's nothing like the game's. Oy vey. 

Still, I say, bring on the soundtrack.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.