Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

City Building

Concept »

The concept of building a single city and its respective houses/institutions (e.g. Sim City) or building cities as part of an extending empire (e.g. Civilization).

Games like the Sierra City Builders?

DerKuli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DerKuli

Hi everyone, I've being following the site for a while now and decided to take the plunge and make an account. I'm hoping to post fairly regularly but that's enough of an introduction.

The recent coverage of the SimCity (which I'm holding out on for a while) debacle has inspired me to fire up some old city builders i.e. Master of Olympus, Pharaoh and found them just as addictive as they were some 10 years ago.. so I was wondering if any of you had any recommendations regarding more modern titles with similar gameplay.

Pikawai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Pikawai

Welcome!

Tropico, Anno and Civ series are very good! You may want to check them out.

mtcantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Civ isn't really a city builder.

I recommend Tropico 4. It's actually really good.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Jimbo

@derkuli: I don't think there are any recent games which play that similarly, but if I were you I would check out Anno 1404 (Sometimes AKA 'Dawn of Discovery') and Grand Ages: Rome. I enjoyed both of them. Anno is the better game, but Grand Ages: Rome is a little closer to those you mention.

DerKuli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank you all for the recommendations, I've had Civ 4 for ages but never got around to putting enough time in, but @mtcantor is right, it's not really what I was looking for, may give it another try anyway. Tropico and Anno both seem interesting, I'll look into them both. It's a shame about a lack of games in the same vein, I was really hoping for some kind of kickstarter project etc.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.