Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Cliff Bleszinski

Person » credited in 30 games

Clifford "CliffyB" Bleszinski is co-founder of Boss Key Productions and was the lead designer at Epic Games from 1992-2012.

Is is Just Me, Or Has Cliffy B Become Less Cocky?

SourMillennia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

Edited By SourMillennia

I've been watching all the media hype surrounding Cliff from his appearance on Jimmy Fallon and his unveiling of Gears of War 3, and honestly, he seems to have mellowed out some. Maybe it is because he is no longer 'Cliffy B' and is instead Cliff Blezinski, but he had done that a year or so ago. No, no there is something different. 

I think that Cliff has finally reached that point where he doesn't need to go out and about, puffing his chest out and being a 'bro'. He can let the games speak for themselves. Most people know Gears is a good (some would call it great) game. And the Unreal Engine is the sexiest gaming tool/catch-phrase since 'bloom lighting'. 

Cliff is growing up a bit, and that makes me so damn proud! 
    *Watch tiny tear drop roll down face*

SourMillennia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By SourMillennia

I've been watching all the media hype surrounding Cliff from his appearance on Jimmy Fallon and his unveiling of Gears of War 3, and honestly, he seems to have mellowed out some. Maybe it is because he is no longer 'Cliffy B' and is instead Cliff Blezinski, but he had done that a year or so ago. No, no there is something different. 

I think that Cliff has finally reached that point where he doesn't need to go out and about, puffing his chest out and being a 'bro'. He can let the games speak for themselves. Most people know Gears is a good (some would call it great) game. And the Unreal Engine is the sexiest gaming tool/catch-phrase since 'bloom lighting'. 

Cliff is growing up a bit, and that makes me so damn proud! 
    *Watch tiny tear drop roll down face*

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Andorski

I think it's because Gears 2 floundered a bit when it released (particularly the online multiplayer).  Failure is a good way to be humbled.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Ghostiet
    @Andorski said:

" I think it's because Gears 2 floundered a bit when it released (particularly the online multiplayer).  Failure is a good way to be humbled. "

Epic's own fault. Playing Gears 2 online in Europe is damn dumb, they've just barely lost to Resistance 2's marker chase.
    Avatar image for buttonsmcboomboom
    ButtonsMcBoomBoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By ButtonsMcBoomBoom

I think that the man was on nation wide tv sitting in a chair in front of several loud strangers that may not be interested in games at all. Being the focal point of a talk show is way different than giving a speech about your game because all the attention is on you not the giant screen behind you. Cocky or not, Clifford Bleszinski is an awesome dude.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Going out there and bragging about his game isn't him being cocky? I'm sure he's trying to advertise it, however the trailer was unimpressive and not even gameplay.

SourMillennia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SourMillennia

I agree with the above sentiments, however I do think that there is a difference between hyping one's game (which is arguably one of his main roles), and him carrying himself with a bit too much swagger. I think Andorski's comment pertaining to the faults of Gears 2 (especially online) humbled him. I'm talking about him as a regular person. I don't disagree with ButtonsMcBoomBoom above, Cliff is an awesome guy, but he is much more approachable and realistic about who he is. 

He seems to have come to the realization that he is a Game Designer and a marketer for his games, not a celebrity to the general public; he seemed to believe himself to be the latter before Gears 2 (and even during the release of that game). Thus the transformation I'm talking about.

LordCrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By LordCrom

Do you mean "Dude Huge"?  Two reasons probably, he's gettin older and he's been rolling in money long enough to have lost that new money smell.
    Avatar image for buzz_killington
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8  Edited By buzz_killington

He should start hanging out with some Naughty Dog people to learn how to be humble. I mean the ND guys are SO HUMBLE it sometims pisses me off!

JustinHopewell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By JustinHopewell

I never felt as strongly as some people about his "douchebaggery". Even if he was a bit more cocky before, I mean, the dude has kind of earned it. He's been with Epic since nearly the beginning, and has had a hand in developing:

1. The Unreal Tournament franchise 

2. The most popular game engines used in the past 10-15 years (Unreal Engine 2 and 3) 

3. The Gears of War franchise, which are great games in their own right, but also revolutionized cover-based mechanics in third person shooters (even if it's commonly forgotten that Winback for N64 did it first).

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Alexander

I think he just wanted a change of image, the name thing was some time ago. You can't be 35 with a name like that and expect anyone to take you seriously.
    penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By penguindust

The days of the "rockstar" game designer are over.  Actually, John Romero killed the image off, but it lingered a slow death thanks to Cliffy and Itagaki.  By the way, he too has dropped a lot of that "too cool for school" attitude since he had his out with Tecmo/Koei.  It also might have something to do with the general malaise in the economy.  Investors get nervous when they have to deal with ego-centric game developers who appear to be more interested in being seen on the red carpet than producing a profitable product.  Epic needs to make sure they stay relevant now that other companies are offering middle-ware game engines to compete with Unreal 3.  One way to do that is to appear professional and less "in yo face!"

SourMillennia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SourMillennia
    @Alexander said: 
     I think he just wanted a change of image, the name thing was some time ago. You can't be 35 with a name like that and expect anyone to take you seriously. " 

True, very true.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.