Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Computer

Object » linked to 548 games

A computer is a common object in video games. They can be used for many purposes; to trigger objects - such as a lift or a bomb, gather information, or even to play games.

Old computers make me laugh.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

Edited By MooseyMcMan

So, I was watching an old episode of Married...With Children this morning (for those who don't know, it was a sitcom that ran from the late 80s to mid 90s), and one thing that I found immensely funny was something that they probably never intended to be funny.  

See, they bought a computer on this episode, and they were bragging about its specs. See, the computer they bought had a 40 megabyte hard disk, and 7 megabytes of RAM.  

And on the off chance that someone reading this knows absolutely nothing about modern computers, just for reference, the computer I'm using to write this (laptop I bought last year for college) has 450-ish GB hard drive, and 6GB of RAM.  

It's funny how far computers have advanced. And even back when this episode was made, computers had advanced quite a bit since the olden days of gym-sized computers that could basically only do the tasks of cheap calculators.  

It also makes me wonder how much computers will advance in the future...And worry about possible machine uprisings. Well, at least we were warned by the Terminator and Matrix movies. 

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By MooseyMcMan

So, I was watching an old episode of Married...With Children this morning (for those who don't know, it was a sitcom that ran from the late 80s to mid 90s), and one thing that I found immensely funny was something that they probably never intended to be funny.  

See, they bought a computer on this episode, and they were bragging about its specs. See, the computer they bought had a 40 megabyte hard disk, and 7 megabytes of RAM.  

And on the off chance that someone reading this knows absolutely nothing about modern computers, just for reference, the computer I'm using to write this (laptop I bought last year for college) has 450-ish GB hard drive, and 6GB of RAM.  

It's funny how far computers have advanced. And even back when this episode was made, computers had advanced quite a bit since the olden days of gym-sized computers that could basically only do the tasks of cheap calculators.  

It also makes me wonder how much computers will advance in the future...And worry about possible machine uprisings. Well, at least we were warned by the Terminator and Matrix movies. 

Avatar image for deactivated-59a5cc20e5213
    deactivated-59a5cc20e5213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Same with cell phones...  especially because the US where so behind Europe about ten years ago..

edit to stay on topic :)

At some point 6 Gigs of ram will sound like a joke :) 

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By c1337us

I never really notice that sort of stuff when watching old shows/movies.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By StaticFalconar

I can't wait til somebody stumbles on this post ten years from now and laughs at your "modern" computer specs of 6 gb of ram when having 2 terabytes if ram is the norm. 

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ArchScabby

Man that computer can run so much graphics!

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MooseyMcMan
    @StaticFalconar: I think what'll be funnier is if someone is reading this ten years from now. You're right though, one day these specs will be laughably low. 
    John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By John1912

My dad had a Portable compaq that I used to play chess, mean 18 golf, and pinball on.  It had no HD, green monochrome screen, you had to use 5 1/4 Floppys to load anything you were using into memory which was like 540k.   It was the size of a large suit case and prob weighted about 40-50 pounds.  Otherwise my first home computer I think had a 20 meg HD, 2 megs of ram, and a 4 color monitor. 

Heres the portable work computer 

No Caption Provided
    BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#8  Edited By BeachThunder

Could it run Crysis?

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By John1912
    @BeachThunder:  It prob couldnt display a single texture if it were reduced to monochrome green dot matrix.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By HitmanAgent47

You call 6 gigs of ram and 450 gigs hardrive advance? What if you have a shitty videocard or cpu? Honestly it can be even more advanced, i'm only saying.  

Computers instead of console technology for example, always is evolving, it's not static. It's always getting more and more powerful every year. There are ppl out there with 12 gigs of DDR3 ram and a few TB hardrives and 2 TB hardrives (green drives which are slow) with i7 cpus and a gtx480, hd5970.

CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By CornontheCobbe

I remember back when my dad had the computer with the green screen.

And when he had one of the more modern ones that could play Apogee games on Floppy Discs! Those were the days. Wacky Wheels and the likes.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MooseyMcMan
    @HitmanAgent47: I'm not saying my computer is state of the art by any means, I was just using it as a point of reference, in case there was somebody who literally knows nothing about such things who was reading this. Also, my computer does have a crappy video card, and the CPU is far from the most advanced out there (I forget the specifics at the moment, but I do know it's a dual core).  

On the show they only mentioned the hard disk space and the RAM. So those were the only things I could compare. They mentioned absolutely nothing about the actual CPU. 
    Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Bigandtasty

I actually watched that episode a few years back and thought the same thing you did. 'Course it's even crazier now what with the increasingly efficient CPUs, video cards, and lowering prices of RAM and hard drives.

HereAllDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By HereAllDay
    @ArchScabby said:
    " Man that computer can run so much graphics! "
    Even Bayonetta?
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#15  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @sharma55 said:
    " @ArchScabby said:
    Even Bayonetta? "
    Don't be crazy. You'll obviously need a plastic overlay to play Bayonetta.
    SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SomeJerk

My first PC after I finished upgrading it was a sick 286 that had a slot for a maths co-processor on the board, 4 megabytes (ex-server computer apparently, Commodore made it) of RAM, replaced the two 5.25" HDs (both 20 megabytes each, used doublespace on them, what a magic little algorithm that was) with a single 420 meg and put Windows 3.1 on there. Ran Wolfenstein 3D like a mofo, made my own maps and all.

Yet my 1987 Amiga 500 beat the stuffing out of any and all PC games until Doom came.

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By melcene
    @MooseyMcMan: That was back in the days before Pentiums, before Celerons, before any nifty names like that, when everything was a X86.  Ahh, how upgrading from a 286 to a 486 was sooo sweet back then!
    fearthephins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By fearthephins

Haha I know what you mean. I don't quite remember what show it was but they have a computer with a dial-up internet connection. It made me laugh.... I remember the days when I had that annoying crap. It used to take forever to connect and then if you got a phone call it would cut you off the internet.
    It really is amazing how things have progressed so much in only a few years.

HereAllDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By HereAllDay
    @JJWeatherman said:
    " @sharma55 said:
    " @ArchScabby said:
    Even Bayonetta? "
    Don't be crazy. You'll obviously need a plastic overlay to play Bayonetta. "
    Yeah you're right, I don't know what I was thinking when I posted that.
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By Afroman269

That reminds me of the X-Files, when the agents carry around the huge fucking cell phones. Also I love me some Married With Children. 

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#21  Edited By Bollard
    @BeachThunder said:
    " Could it run Crysis? "
    Yes.
    BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#22  Edited By BeachThunder
    @Chavtheworld said:
    " @BeachThunder said:
    " Could it run Crysis? "
    Yes. "
    Wow, that was a really old comment...I can't even remember writing it o_o 

Regardless, you're right:
    No Caption Provided
    Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#23  Edited By Bollard
    @BeachThunder: I didn't even notice how old that post was! 

And ahahahahaha that picture is fantastic!
    onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By onarum

What I think is really crazy is that today we have effin cell phones that are like 10 times more powerful in every single aspect than my first computers.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.