Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Control

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Aug 27, 2019

Dive into a dark and brutalist-inspired world where daily reality has been corrupted by an otherworldly force.

Control announces two new paid expansions for 2020, New Game (plus?)

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Over heah.

First up, while some crafty PC players “unlocked” their own versions of this already, we are working on a much-desired Photo Mode, which will enable you to take some awesome snapshots of Jesse in the Oldest House. Make sure you unlock all of her costumes to flex by the time the Photo Mode arrives this fall. We’ll have more information on this soon.

New Game Mode

In December, we will release a new game mode for Control that we are currently calling Expeditions. This will be a challenging new end-game mode in which Jesse must help Security Chief Arish explore the mysterious Formation and its strange surroundings. Here you will face the some the greatest challenges that the Oldest House can throw at you. You will need the best gear and abilities to survive. Expeditions is free for all players.

Expansions

Moving ahead to 2020, there will be two full, paid expansions that our team is hard at work creating: The Foundation and AWE. Both of these will offer new story missions, enemies, and game mechanics, and take place in new locations within the Oldest House.

The Foundation will delve into the history of the Oldest House. At the request of the ever-mysterious Board, Jesse must explore what lies beneath the Bureau as she returns order to the Foundation and the Oldest House itself. Expect things to get weird.

The second expansion, AWE, will take Jesse into a new part of the Oldest House, the Investigations Sector, where the Bureau closely examines Altered World Events.

I really like Control a bunch and while I haven't finished it, I'm looking forward to getting that done and getting ready for these Xpacs next year. Maybe I'll beat the Horizon expansion in the meantime? Or the AC: Odyssey DLC?

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By glots

I just finished Control yesterday and could definitely go for some more of it (well, I still have some side-missions to finish, but anyway), so I'll gladly play all of these. The Foundation is apparently going be a timed exclusive on PS4 first, but I guess I can live with that.

Bezerker85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Something oddly concerning about Klepek referring to a $25 season pass as "Beautiful".

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By Humanity

Control is so far my favorite game of this year - really love just playing it - so I'm really excited for actually meaningful story-driven DLC. The horde mode thing they are giving away for free should also be pretty fun since the combat in Control is in itself a blast.

I'm also curious to see how that PC patch will affect performance. The patch is apparently out for PS4 users, and lord knows they needed one, but I haven't seen any followups on how much it actually improved performance.

I'm also looking forward to finally being able to upgrade Pierce.

doombot13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait, I haven't finished Control yet but it's set in the same world as Quantum Break and Alan Wake?

Avatar image for deactivated-63c06c6e81315
    deactivated-63c06c6e81315

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@humanity said:

I'm also looking forward to finally being able to upgrade Pierce.

The update is now available on PC as well. You might need to hit a trigger to get the Pierce upgrade to appear in the Astral Constructs menu. For me, I needed to pick up one of the upgrade materials required for the level 2 upgrade.

Wait, I haven't finished Control yet but it's set in the same world as Quantum Break and Alan Wake?

Yup.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@doombot13: There are very direct references to Alan Wake; didn't see anything relating to Quantum Break but then again I never played that one so maybe I missed something.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

ALMOST done with Control, and I’ve been loving it. While I’m not sure about fetch quests, horde modes, and point defenses for Arish, I’m WAY THE FUCK DOWN for some more story content.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: From the first couple of hours, I felt like other Remedy games would fit perfectly into a shared universe that Control opens up.

While I didn’t notice any Quantum Break references (Does MS own that IP?), I think it could slide right in whenever Remedy sees fit.

Avatar image for deactivated-63c06c6e81315
    deactivated-63c06c6e81315

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@nutter said:

(Does MS own that IP?)

Yes.

There's one unquestionable reference to Quantum Break in Control and another quick mention of a character that might be from Quantum Break. They're both at the end of the game, though, so won't go into more detail.

Quantum Break itself has a reference to AWEs on a chalkboard with the lines "Altered World Events" and "Alan Wake Experience" scribbled next to it.

Edit: At the least, they've been planning this wider story to some degree since Alan Wake's American Nighmare. The song "Balance Slays the Demon" from that game's soundtrack has a backmasked line that says: "It will happen again, in another town, called Ordinary".

JoeDangerous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After all the coverage: I think I really want to hit this up in a year's time or so. This seems like the perfect $30 game and hopefully I can get it on Steam (dude I just want all my digital purchases in one place that's it). Really impressed by how smooth it looks to control and the overall environment. Heck with all the expansions I may dip into those, too!

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By NTM

@doombot13: This is something I think people should find out on there own, but yes Alan Wake definitely is (as a big fan of Alan Wake, it's my favorite part of Control). It's what has my attention most when it comes to what they could do with Control next. As for Quantum Break, that's way less clear, but it could be. Just read every single collectible; you'll learn stuff that you didn't in Alan Wake. It makes the oddities that are happening in Alan Wake much more clear; answers questions about what happened to some characters, and what the darkness really is (which is what you're fighting in Control, it's all one and the same. And it's weird to not figure that out right when you kill an enemy in Control, as they die similarly.) You'll also find the airplane that crashed in Alan Wake if you remember that part. Ah, sorry to go into spoiler territory here which I feel this isn't the place, but I won't erase it. Don't read the spoiler stuff if you don't want any details.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Spoilers I guess huh. Ah well, the moment folks said there was a connection to something that blew their mind I already figured what it'd be. No Mr. Glass moment for me I guess.

Fuck, I didn't even get the Mr. Glass moment.

Goddamnit, I'm signing off forever.

See y'all tomorrow.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, I guess this game is much better than it looked in the quick look. Maybe I should actually play through alan wake one day, still have it and the expansion on steam.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I'm there for any more story content they want to put out, but I'm tentative on the proc-gen, combat oriented bit. Control's two endgame optional bosses are really goddamn annoying and some of its encounter design in the story was a little uninspired. It was an incredible exploration and exposition game with a fun combat system, but if combat had been the actual focus / primary draw I think Control would've suffered for it. Fingers crossed I s'pose.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@briarpack: Cool. Good stuff. Lots of little references, and yeah, I remember that Alan Wake Experience bit, now that you mention it.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By nutter

@oursin_360: I love Alex, but I was not much further than him when that quick look aired and it was infuriating.

Trying to use a shotgun from across the room, not picking up on the puzzles, that are all built up as the game goes on...I’m not saying the puzzles are incredible, but they’re good enough and Remedy does spoon feed you everything you need to know to prep you for the next puzzle.

Also, that base PS4 version, woof!

I’m happy he got more invested as he played more.

Edit:

Alan Wake is one of my favorite 360-generation games. For me, it’s WAY up there with Bioshock, Bioshock Infinite, Witcher 2, The Last of Us, Uncharted 2, etc.

haneybd87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So apparently the Foundation expansion is going to be a timed exclusive for PS4? What the hell? It’s not as though there was any timed exclusivity for the main game. This just seems shitty for those of us who have already purchased the game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.