Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Aug 21, 2012

The fourth iteration of Valve's team-based modern-military first-person shooter, rebuilt and constantly expanded for competitive play with new maps, new weapons, and new gameplay mechanics. It was later made free-to-play and most versions were later replaced with the sequel.

You Surprise That Counter Strike Hasn't Gotten An Actual Sequel?

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By falserelic

I was thinking about this for awhile now. The game has been out for years and alot of people loved it. It surprises me that valve hasn't actually made a sequel to this game. The game itself has potential to become something even more. I know valve is capable of making a good sequel but they never did. I don't know if there's a certain reason why, but its weird that they never made one.

What are your thoughts about it?

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By tim_the_corsair

There have been several "sequels" in terms of new versions on new(er) engines.

True, there has never been a CounterStrike 2, but I struggle to see a need for one, or what they would do to it that wouldn't stop it from fundamentally being CS.

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By NickL

There is no need or reason to make a "true" sequel to a game like CS.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By falserelic

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

There have been several "sequels" in terms of new versions on new(er) engines. True, there has never been a CounterStrike 2, but I struggle to see a need for one, or what they would do to it that wouldn't stop it from fundamentally being CS.

If they do end up making a sequel. How would you feel if they added a campaign mode or co-op?

Gantrathor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Gantrathor

Counter-Strike is a highly competitive E-Sport, and it's been around a long time. Making a sequel, and potentially changing the fundamental rules of the game, would be like ESPN making "Football 2." I don't think the fans would like it if a full blown sequel were made.

Mixwizzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Mixwizzard

It doesn't need a sequel. It has an OK mod community that makes maps regularly.

Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

#7  Edited By Savage

Valve was working on a Counter-Strike 2 for a time in the early years after Counter-Strike went retail. They hired Minh Le and Jess Cliffe, the creators of the mod (as is Valve's frequent MO) and gave them free reign at Valve to make a proper followup to the original CS. After a couple years though, the sequel project was shelved and Minh Le left Valve. Since then I'm not sure if it's known if Valve has made another serious attempt at a fullblown sequel to CS, but they've not forgotten about the game as they've kept patching it and adding to it to help keep it alive, including re-releases in CS:CZ, CS:S, and CS:GO.

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By NickL

@falserelic said:

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

There have been several "sequels" in terms of new versions on new(er) engines. True, there has never been a CounterStrike 2, but I struggle to see a need for one, or what they would do to it that wouldn't stop it from fundamentally being CS.

If they do end up making a sequel. How would you feel if they added a campaign mode or co-op?

They tried to make CS into a campaign once. Have you ever played CS:Condition zero deleted scenes? (I think at some point it came with copies of condition zero)

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By falserelic

@Savage said:

Valve was working on a Counter-Strike 2 for a time in the early years after Counter-Strike went retail. They hired Minh Le and Jess Cliffe, the creators of the mod (as is Valve's frequent MO) and gave them free reign at Valve to make a proper followup to the original CS. After a couple years though, the sequel project was shelved and Minh Le left Valve. Since then I'm not sure if it's known if Valve has made another serious attempt at a fullblown sequel to CS, but they've not forgotten about the game as they've kept patching it and adding to it to help keep it alive, including re-releases in CS:CZ, CS:S, and CS:GO.

That's interesting, first time I've heard about that.....

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Ravenlight

@falserelic said:

If they do end up making a sequel. How would you feel if they added a campaign mode [...]

IMO, it would cease to be CS and become some other game at that point.

[...] or co-op?

Based on how Valve thinks TF2's MvM mode does, I wouldn't be surprised if a co-op sort of mode snuck in somewhere down the line.

Dixego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Dixego

There's no sequel because this ain't Call of Duty, son.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By falserelic

@NickL said:

@falserelic said:

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

They tried to make CS into a campaign once. Have you ever played CS:Condition zero deleted scenes? (I think at some point it came with copies of condition zero)

CS:GO was the first game I've played I never played the previous CS games. The reason why I made this topic. Is because during a match some CS fans was disappointed how CS:GO turned out. They was hoping for something more, and felt bored of playing the game. But I'm surprised to hear that valve tried to make a campaign for CS in the past.

Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

#13  Edited By Savage

@falserelic said:

@Savage said:

That's interesting, first time I've heard about that.....

Considering Valve's approach to game development has always been constant iteration and playtesting without being afraid to toss out what isn't working, I'm sure there's an awe-inspiring amount of work left on Valve's proverbial cutting room floor from all sorts of games they've worked on over the years, both ones that did eventually came out and others that never survived to release.

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By NickL

@falserelic: From what I remember it was pretty bad.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By falserelic

@Dixego said:

There's no sequel because this ain't Call of Duty, son.

I wouldn't want counter strike to end up being a Call of Duty rip-off. Valve would never let that happen.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ghost_cat

I want a CS sequel where I shoot more dudes. YEH!

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By falserelic

@NickL said:

@falserelic: From what I remember it was pretty bad.

From watching that vid it does seem like it could have been better.

Dixego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Dixego

@Ghost_Cat said:

I want a CS sequel where I shoot more dudes. YEH!

This guy knows his games.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By tim_the_corsair

Condition Zero was a fucked up abortion of a game, holy shit I just broke out in hives remembering playing it.

It was also responsible for the fucking riot shield making it across into normal CS if I remember correctly.

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
    EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By EquitasInvictus

As already mentioned, I also think Counter-Strike isn't the sort of game to warrant a numeric sequel.

CS:S and CS:GO are justifiably enough of a "sequel" for the kind of game Counter-Strike is. As long as each new iteration and update on the formula keeps selling, I don't think they'll ever be ambitious enough to take the franchise any further. There's a lot of risk in attempting to make it something more (and potentially making it into something it's not, which would make it a non-Counter-Strike entirely), and if what was posted about a scrapped campaign are true, that experience probably gives them even more a reason to not bother.

I'm sure there are people with great ideas that are channeling it over other avenues than trying to make Counter-Strike a game it isn't supposed to be, though, so it's not like anyone is losing out.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.