Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

CounterSpy

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Aug 19, 2014

2D side-scrolling action game in the vein of Flashback, with a 50s/60s Cold War setting.

Counterspies Like Us

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm pre-ordering it tomorrow. Really hoping it turns out good. Previews so far have said its good, I like procedurally generated games and stealth games so I'm betting that I will like this. Also buying it to get the $10 from the Play 2014 promotion (got all other 3 games already). Can't wait to play it Tuesday. Or whatever day I can play because I work. Damn job!

Basm321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just need more stealth games for my ps4, so I'm in

civid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

First thing I've seen of this, looks like a great fit for the Vita. That is if I can fit it onto my puny 4GB bullshit harddrive. Man I love that console, but fuck Sony for those overpriced SD-cards.

dotdashdotdash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The developers said in one of the preview videos that it is not a stealth game and is designed more as an action shooter. So if you go in expecting a stealth game, you may be disappointed.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Looks like Shadow Complex with more camera angles and a neat art style. Will probably pick it up if the PS3 version isn't awful.

capshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I've been looking forward to this for a while now. The mix of side scrolling sort-of-stealth and (what looks to be) sort-of cover-based shooting seems interesting, and the general look of the game is interesting. I've always liked Cold War espionage stuff. I recently got around to buying Rogue Legacy, so it'll be nice to get the $3 back once I get this.

Boiglenoight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By Boiglenoight

Looks like another potentially good game for the Vita.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

The developers said in one of the preview videos that it is not a stealth game and is designed more as an action shooter. So if you go in expecting a stealth game, you may be disappointed.

That's kind of a bummer. I was hoping this would turn out to be a 60's spy movie version of Mark of the Ninja.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I was excited to play this then I noticed it was only coming out for PS3/PS4.

Thanks a lot Adam Boyes.

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: are you sure it's not coming out on vita? The product page says "Cross-buy entitles you to download this game on your PS4, PS3, Vita"

soupbones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 14

@quid_pro_bono: It's on my Vita right now... so yes, it's absolutely coming to Vita ;-)

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soupbones: I think I'll have to pick it up! How does it control on vita?

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Getting a real Shadow Complex vibe from parts of that trailer!

Kato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Kato

@quid_pro_bono: I've only played one mission so far, but the controls on the Vita are awesome. The only thing I'd complain about is aiming while not in cover, but that happens so rarely that it's not that big of a deal. The controls are very snappy. I saw lots of reviews complaining about the framerate as well but it seems real solid to me? Maybe it gets worse later on (or the reviews were written with non-final code).

@bollard: The gameplay itself is pretty similar, but the structure of the game is different. There's no big map, the game is divided into "missions" which are each procedurally generated. I love Shadow Complex quite a bit but the way this game does it is good too.

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Quid_Pro_Bono

@kato: thanks man, that puts my Vita concerns at ease. Definitely going to pick this one up.

soupbones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Havent played it on the PS4 yet, but the vita controls are fine. I do wish I could aim with the right stick while walking, but that's a minor complaint.

I noticed minor hiccups and slightly long load times on the Vita - but those might be vita-specific judging from the vids I saw of the PS4 version.

Played it for an hour on the vita today - but I have a feeling I'll enjoy it even more on the PS4 with a bigger screen. The game's art direction is outstanding.

jejoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This game is pretty awful. It's all art and no design. I think it would hold up in the late game, if the stealth mechanics were actually sound, but they're not. This is the kind of game that someone who hates stealth games would make.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Played for a few hours, pretty enjoyable so far. Guess I'm a bit dissapointed in there being no narrated-storyline and so on, but only a simple Cold War background to it with a slightly silly tone. The visuals save a lot.

Dredlockz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jejoma: I wouldn't say it's awful, but I agree with you about the stealth issues.

The game seems to reward you for being stealthy (with the Defcon counter mechanic, generals, etc). But the nature of the camera (you usually can't see guards on screen when they're a bit ahead, but they can see you) and level design seems to be made for cover-based shooting and action.

It could be related to levels being procedurally generated, because walking into a new room and being immediately infront of 5 dudes makes it pretty hard to approach the situation with stealth.

Once you get good at reading those enemy indicators (they show the general direction of the enemy off-screen and if they are facing you or not) you can get through a bit better without being seen, but it's still a pain.

sub_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

I just wanna say that Counter Spy is really good. It's like 2D action game, with occasional drift into 3D ala Shadow Complex, where the perspective changes and you can shoot users in background.

Since it's stealth, it's more like a puzzle game than action game.

I'm playing it on Vita right now, and man the loading time is long. Other than that, I'm enjoying the game.

Dredlockz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sub_o: yeah! them loading times are insane. I wonder if it is actually taking time generating the level or what?

Or is it just an issue with Unity for Vita, which is in a pretty early stage.

Thuggish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been playing this on Vita the last couple of days, at lunch; it's a lot of fun so far :)

Scruggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Scruggs

I really loved what I played, but it only took me 2 and a half hours to beat this thing. I wish there was more level variety, more ways to approach situations, and more things to do in the mission hub. Hopefully they make a sequel.

DHIATENSOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mechanically it's strong but the Defcon system has killed it for me. Just sucks the fun out of what is otherwise a tight and nicely made game.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I played it for like 90 minutes and it's the kind of wishy-washy "stealth game but not really a stealth game" that the reviews pegged it as. Mark of the Ninja it is not.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope this gets a sequel. It took me about six hours to finish all three difficulties and unlock everything, and I was left wanting more. (also, certain mechanics could use polishing)

A more fleshed out version with deeper stealth mechanics could be truly great.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.