Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Crimson Alliance

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Sep 07, 2011

Crimson Alliance is a Co-op focused action RPG developed by Certain Affinity and published by Microsoft Studios.

Was really looking forward to this

MrMuscle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By MrMuscle

Ive been following this game for a while and it looked really promising. A good old fashioned dungeon crawler with loot and coop. Well i downloaded it yesterday and boy, it really didnt meet my expectations.

So we all know how much fun looking for loot is. Hoping to get an uber drop from a mob keeps us playing just 10 minutes more, just 10 minutes more. But in Crimson Alliance they have removed the fun of it. You have 3 equipment slots, i play the mercenary class so its weapon, shield and clothing. So you are severly limited from the start when it comes to the amount of loot. Then it seems like the loot doesnt drop at all, it may be in some rare chests, but other than that you have to buy it. Now im just 4-5 stages in so this might change i dunno.

Ok, so no good loot. But if the leveling system is good then it can save the game right? Unfortunately there is no leveling system. You have 4 abilities per class and these abilities only get enhanced by your gear. So no branching skill tree or anything.

I knew some of this coming in, but not that it was this cut down. It IS a xbla game so i guess im at fault for expecting a Diabloish experience.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Cincaid

@MrMuscle: Thanks for your input. I had the game on my radar but didn't buy it on day one because I heard so little about it. From what you're saying I think I'll just pass on it.

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By ervonymous

@MrMuscle said:

It IS a xbla game so i guess im at fault for expecting a Diabloish experience.

You do remember Torchlight, right?

Too bad, I tried the trial version myself and it was really simplistic. Do you have to buy every class separately or do they unlock if you pay the 800 for one? If not then it's beyond fucked.

jaycrockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By jaycrockett

No loot, no rpg leveling up, no random levels. There doesn't even seem to be a combo system you might expect in a beat'em up. You know, AAB,ABA, etc. Very disappointed. Still I do have a soft spot for games like this. I think I'll go back and finish Daggerdale, which while a very mixed bag is at least an rpg.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By WinterSnowblind

It's not a loot hunting game, it's trying to be more similar to Gauntlet. I thought it was a pretty fun action RPG, as long as you aren't expecting it to be Diablo.

MrMuscle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By MrMuscle

@ervonymous said:

@MrMuscle said:

It IS a xbla game so i guess im at fault for expecting a Diabloish experience.

You do remember Torchlight, right?

Too bad, I tried the trial version myself and it was really simplistic. Do you have to buy every class separately or do they unlock if you pay the 800 for one? If not then it's beyond fucked.

Oh I definately remember Torchlight. I still boot it up now and then. But i kinda figured that was a one off and because it was out for ages on PC it wouldnt be fair to put that in the same group ad Crimson Alliance. But it does look like I have to wait for Torchlight 2 to get a really good dungeon crawler on the xbox. Luckily Diablo 3 is drawing closer!

Hi_Voltg3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Hi_Voltg3

I was sad about this as well but I looked passed it trying to be a dungeon crawler and looked at it more as a Gauntlet game. This I'm okay with.
    pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By pweidman

Listed as 'free' on XBL right now duders. Just started the DL, and it's slowww. I didn't buy but one of the summer of arcade games btw. WTF? Take advantage I guess. They owe me this for at least the broken ass unpatched game that Daggerdale was.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#9  Edited By Sooperspy
    @pweidman said:

Listed as 'free' on XBL right now duders. Just started the DL, and it's slowww. I didn't buy but one of the summer of arcade games btw. WTF? Take advantage I guess. They owe me this for at least the broken ass unpatched game that Daggerdale was.

You get into the game, and then you pay $10 for 1 playable character, or $15 for all 3 characters. 
    Sorry.
    pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By pweidman

@Redbullet685 said:

@pweidman said:

You get into the game, and then you pay $10 for 1 playable character, or $15 for all 3 characters. Sorry.

You sir, are right. I feel like an idiot now, lol. And now that I think of it, I think I read somewhere that this was the setup for the game. Oh well.

LemonJoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By LemonJoose

I agree -- I tried the demo and was pretty disappointed.  It removes too much of the stuff I like about action-RPGs. It's way too dumbed down for my tastes.  The action is not exciting enough -- if you want that you are better off playing a game like Dante's Inferno, DarkSiders, Conan, or Viking.  If you want a loot and skill-progression based action-RPG you are better off playing Torchlight or Sacred 2.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DonPixel

@MrMuscle: I guess is not what you were expecting, IMO the game is not trying to be Diablo/Torchlight it feels more "action co-op oriented".

For what is worth of all the Consolized Dungeon Crawlers wanna be out there, This is the one I've enjoyed the most in a console, it's pretty fun with friends or alone.

themartyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By themartyr

I think it's an interesting experiment in a new market model for XBLA. I was hoping for a co-op Torchlight, but the same is much closer to Gauntlet than anything else. It's fun as a co-op game, but there isn't really a whole lot to sink your teeth in if you intend to just play on your own.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.