Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Mar 25, 2008

A prequel to the fan favorite Final Fantasy VII, focusing on Zack Fair and his adventures as a member of SOLDIER in Shinra Corporation.

What About Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII?

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seppli

Looking up some *Combine Items* list for Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, there it was advertised. Upon refreshing my recollection of it with a video review, it looks pretty damn neat. Would it be worth my while, if it was on PSN? What say you?

Huge bummer however, it's not on PSN. Lunacy! Jesus - somebody better put some effort into getting all these PSP and PS1 games back on PSN. I mean, it's got to be like free money at this point. A fiver or tenner for these old games is akin to highway robbery really, but cheap enough to actually get me to buy 'em. How about some flippin' Rollcage Stage II! Yes please, mun!

Jeez! *exasperation*

squiDc00kiE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Yeah sucks its not on PSN but I loved it on psp. Pretty short for FF standards, took me 18 hours, but it felt like an appropriate length for the game. It was really unique and told a good story. God...I miss that game. Might try and track down a umd now.

5Figh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

speaking as someone who never really enjoys the stories in FF games it blew my mind how invested i got in Crisis Core. i didnt even like those characters in FF7 but they managed to tone down the melodrama just enough to the point where it more closely resembled melancholy and it was great. i would love to see this game on psn

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

This game is amazing, I was especially impressed for the complexity that was put into Zack as a character, but I do think the materia system in this was a little too easy to master and make enemies very easy to kill.

It not being on PSN reminds me of the release of the PSP:GO coinciding with the release of Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep (my personal favourite hand-held game ever) which was one of the most high-profile PSP games of that year, and was UMD-only. For whatever reason, I guess Square Enix is picky about what PSP games they want to be downloadable. I wonder if that means they have an intention of doing something with them (like how they have re-done the story of the DS game, KH: 348/2 days in their new HD release - they could be planning to do that with KH:BBS later or with Crisis Core eventually).

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Quarters

It's probably the best FFVII related piece of media/game, in terms of plot, presentation, and gameplay. Take that for what you will.

Grixxel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It was alright. If you really liked FF7 crazy plot with super soldiers and all that you might get alot more enjoyment out of it.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Baillie

Best Final Fantasy I played, actually enjoyed it! Whoa!

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I got about halfway through the game and got tired of how every combat could be completed by doing nothing but mashing a single button. So I stopped! True story!

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By rorie

I got about halfway through the game and got tired of how every combat could be completed by doing nothing but mashing a single button. So I stopped! True story!

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

If you are the slightest fan of the FF7 story or universe, Crisis Core is pretty much a must have. At least I ended up liking it a lot.

If you are just in it for some AcionJrpg gameplay and some anime, then meh? It's alright I guess.

Slaegar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Slaegar

Crisis Core is pretty awesome. It has that playstation 2 smell of lots of skinny hallways, but I feel like it does the Kingdom Hearts style of combat better than Kingdom Hearts. The weird roulette summon system was silly and like Rorie said you could kind of mash your way through by attacking and rolling. I still liked it and recommend it if you can find a copy. Maybe Gamestop will resell them as Vintage™.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

Crisis Core had an okay story, really repetitive combat after awhile, but the whole ending sequence is probably the most powerful story moment in the whole FF7 series. Okay, second. Nothing beats the rocket from FF7.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

It's good! The combat gets repetitive to the point where I started hugging the walls of maps to avoid fighting. I was in it for the story, and on that front it didn't disappoint. Except for the Genesis stuff, which was pretty lame.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16  Edited By Seppli

@rorie said:

I usally try not to break a game if I can. Is there only one button to its combat (it's not inconceivable that that could be great, but it's rather unlikely), or can I have an enjoyable combat experience if I go at it with *an attitude*? Difficulty really only matters so much, as long as I can play like a badass and make it look and feel good, even if the challenge of the experience itself was neglible.

For example, I'm currently replaying Crysis 2, which is rather easy and easily exploitable, but it also plays great and feels badass - I'm having a really good time with it. That said, lacking challenge, such things can only carry an experience so far - but it should easily last for the 20'ish hours that people report it being.

Oh well, until it's being made available in some form, either with a HD re-release on Vita, or just putting the PSP game on PSN (assuming it'd be compatible with Vita), it doesn't matter all that much anyways.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I really enjoyed it but it's not a game where the side content is worth doing. There are like 300 side missions and they all take place in the same 7 or 8 environments. Two or three of them have unique loot or something. Random leveling up is kind of lame too. Since it's a just play it for the story kind of game then maybe watch it on youtube.

Zainyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

Largely enjoyable. As previously mentioned, the random encounters got a bit tiresome but never enough to make me want to stop playing. Potentially the nicest looking PSP game I've seen. As someone who never played FF7 and only has a superficial knowledge of the characters, this game still did a good job of making the universe interesting whether you have a love for the previous game or not.

Zainyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Largely enjoyable. As previously mentioned, the random encounters got a bit tiresome but never enough to make me want to stop playing. Potentially the nicest looking PSP game I've seen. As someone who never played FF7 and only has a superficial knowledge of the characters, this game still did a good job of making the universe interesting whether you have a love for the previous game or not.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seppli: This game is one of my favorites and almost made me cry. But stupid Square Enix won't put it on PSN. I hate those guys. I just want a remake with better graphics and trophies for Vita.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#21  Edited By Hailinel

Crisis Core is a blast. Its gameplay is fun, and I really enjoyed the story and its take on the characters. I kind of wish that they'd do more with Cissnei.

vikingdeath1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its a fun game for sure. Whether you liked traditional final fantasy or not, its super neat.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Crisis Core is a good game by PSP standards, pretty good thing to play on the go. Dirge of Cerberus NA version is an alright game. Square won't make an FFVII remake though, they're allergic to profits.

kpaadet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would totally buy Crisis Core again to play it on my Vita if they released it on PSN, unfortunately there seems to be some sort of licence issue stopping that from happening.

Avatar image for deactivated-62f93c42ce57b
    deactivated-62f93c42ce57b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i thought it had some great fmvs and overall i enjoyed it. it was ok coming from a big ff7 fan. better than advent children.

Verendus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If this would be released on PSN I'd buy it immediately for Vita. I never owned a PSP so I never got a chance to play Crisis Core.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loved this game back when it was released. Maybe I should dust of my old PsP and give it another playthrough.

Panelhopper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Panelhopper

I would buy a psp to play this, I'm not even joking

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.