Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Crysis 2

Game » consists of 37 releases. Released Mar 22, 2011

Set three years after the original Crysis, an ambushed Marine named Alcatraz dons the famous Nanosuit and fights his way through an obliterated New York City to stop the alien invasion.

Gamereactor gives Crysis a 9/10 and 13 hour story

Korosuzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Korosuzo

I know I have spent too much time looking up new games so when I find something that looks legit I want to share it with everyone.  Someone posted this link on another game website in the forums and after translating the Swedish to English for the Crysis 2 review it seems like a legit and respectable opinion. So here is the site, if you have Google Chrome it'll ask if you want to translate just click yes and you should be able to read it fairly well other than a hiccup in translation here or there.  Story looks to be about 13 hours long which is a nice change from the most recent shooter Homefront that clocked in at under 5 hours.  The AI sounds like it's some of the smartest yet, the levels are open and varied as to allow you to approach each battle or area uniquely and the story sounds so-so.  Seems like the biggest gripe is a weak story and some tiresome dialogue but if the gameplay is up to par shouldn't hold it back that much. 

Full review at the link below.  You could probably cut and past text too if you don't have a translator on your web-browser for Swedish - English.
    http://www.gamereactor.se/recensioner/26491/Crysis+2/?sid=68784f04514af76022d4564c0ee8aec1

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By DonPixel

Aaa don´t know let´s not jump into conclusions just yet.. see what happend with Homefront early reviews.. 

Personally I can say I finally played the demo and Im enjoying it kinda a COD with better graphics, I like the fast phase and the shoot feel.. sure Im buying it, but I don´t know about the campaign, Crytek is somewhat of a Guerrilla studio like.. technically they good but they drop the ball in storytelling.  

Also have to add about the multiplayer:  Im loving no auto aim, seems to me like a mix betewn Halo and COD.. games i like both

Avatar image for i_love_eva_braun
    I_love_Eva_Braun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By I_love_Eva_Braun

13 hour story you say? I want to believe

Harmonican

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Harmonican

Bummer about the story. After all the interviews with Richard Morgan about the writing I had high hops for it. He said all the right things, but I guess he didn't deliver (the again, it's only one guys opinion).

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jack268

Gamereactor is a free magazine. I wonder where they get their money.  

But really now. This is a game that I feel I can't trust other people's opinions on. A lot of people missed the point of the first game and played it like it was CoD, which is a pretty boring way to play the game, and if Crysis 2 supports that playstyle better, obviously they will like it better while the people who liked the first game will like it less.  

It just feels like this game will either rip my heart out violently or make sweet love to it. I'm gonna try not to let reviews/pre-release material swing my opinion.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SomeJerk

13 hours to finish the console version (the terrible port done to the PS3 does not count) sounds possible if you're slow and like to go ooh and aaah and capture stills and videos while playing, while also writing things to keep in mind for the article/review/whatev.

Translated means: 9 hours tops for you or me, if we take time and enjoy ourselves

Something I did in Crysis, more than just go from A to B, was to mess around in the open world finding other ways of achieving my goals. I did the very same in GTA4. I would lose all faith in GTA if GTA5 came out and gave me only one road from A to B rather than an entire county, so I know I'm not going to enjoy this before I even try it :(

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @buckybit said:
    " For my money, this is the best "game" Crytek made in their career, yet."
    you said yourself that its less sandboxy, more streamlined, with a call of duty clone of a multiplayer component 
    and then you say its Crytek's best game yet 

i cannot compute !
    Avatar image for buzz_killington
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By buzz_killington
    @Korosuzo said:
     Seems like the biggest gripe is a weak story and some tiresome dialogue but if the gameplay is up to par shouldn't hold it back that much.

That's funny, because if you remember, Richard Morgan-the lead writer on the game-was talking big game about how game stories are always garbage and he's going to make a difference this time around.
    Korosuzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Korosuzo

It's true that you can't usually trust early reviews.  When I heard the good reviews about Homefront they didn't seem to quantify what was good and what wasn't in detail. I was skeptical and then add in the fact that no demo was arriving, extreme hype, and little to no actual gameplay footage and I put up a caution flag.  The early reviews were haphazardly put together and from sites I knew I couldn't trust.  

I felt this review was of good length and went into some great depth to explain various pros and cons about the game.  It was damn long at about 20-25 paragraphs which was nice and I made sure to check their backlog of reviews to make sure they don't give everything a 9/10.    

If nothing else I learned more about the game then from what I've seen in previews.  That combined with what I've experienced in the Xbox 360 multi-player demo helped me to feel better about a pre-order on amazon.  I didn't want to have what happened to the Homefront people happening to me and the next day realizing I was tricked into buying a game just because of the media hype and ads.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DonPixel
    @Korosuzo: Im getting the game, I like the multiplayer. Im happy solid alternatives for COD are being release I love FPS competitive multiplayer modern, sci-fi even ww2 so the more the better IMO 

after Homefront bummer Crysis kinda made my day.  

sitll I don´t think it´s gonna rock the metacritic score.. but who knows
    Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By Vinny_Says

13 hours is 9 hours too long for FPSs these days!

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By ShaneDev
    @buzz_killington said:
    " @Korosuzo said:
     Seems like the biggest gripe is a weak story and some tiresome dialogue but if the gameplay is up to par shouldn't hold it back that much.
    That's funny, because if you remember, Richard Morgan-the lead writer on the game-was talking big game about how game stories are always garbage and he's going to make a difference this time around. "
    Ha ha thats right I remember that. I guess everyone saying that his story would be just as bad were right. 

I had heard that the start of the game is rather slow and uninteresting but I will probably get this eventually. 
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#16  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I can remember the days when I would have considered 13 hours to be short! 

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
    @blacklabeldomm said:

" 13 hours is 9 hours too long for FPSs these days! "

I know? How the hell am I supposed to work on my K/D ratio with all this "story" bullshit in the way?
    JerichoBlyth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By JerichoBlyth

I've been playing the multiplayer demo non-stop and managed to reach level 10 within an hour and a bit :- )

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By penguindust

Anything over 6 hours is long for a shooter these days, sadly so.  Still, if a lot of that 13 is just backtracking and repetitive stuff (repetitive even for an FPS) then length won't make a difference.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By DystopiaX
    @PenguinDust
    Anything over 6 hours is long for a shooter these days, sadly so.  Still, if a lot of that 13 is just backtracking and repetitive stuff (repetitive even for an FPS) then length won't make a difference.
    Crysis was always billed as a single player experience so hopefully they're better than that. Will pick this up eventually when I build my pc cause it's kind of like you have to.
    Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Slaker117
    @ShaneDev said:
    " @buzz_killington said:
    " @Korosuzo said:
    That's funny, because if you remember, Richard Morgan-the lead writer on the game-was talking big game about how game stories are always garbage and he's going to make a difference this time around. "
    Ha ha thats right I remember that. I guess everyone saying that his story would be just as bad were right.  I had heard that the start of the game is rather slow and uninteresting but I will probably get this eventually.  "
    I was kind of rooting for him to fail because in that interview he came off as an incredibly smug asshole. Hope he chokes on his words. :D

But of course if he is ever hassled about it he'll just say that gamers are too shallow to appreciate his work. It's not like he could completely misunderstand what it takes to make an interesting game story as opposed to a book.
    NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By NTM

They said it has a weak story and somewhat tiresome dialogue sequences. Hm, that seems about right for what could have gone wrong in this. And sadly, the thing I worried most. You don't need a professional writer to make a great story and dialogue in games, you just need an imaginative and creative mind.
    SirBlimE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SirBlimE

http://www.gamereactor.dk/anmeldelser/83084/Crysis+2/  The danish review is also up, same score. He clocked the campaign at 12 hours. And praises the game for its pace and change in action to keep it from getting boring. Biggest complaint is the lack of a proper story, and that the aliens look and move like chrome gorillas with dreadlocks. 

EDIT: Just noticed it's the same review just translated.

Avatar image for joyfullofrockets
    JoyfullOFrockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By JoyfullOFrockets

These suits are made for punching aliens in the face, and that's just what they'll do.

Korosuzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Korosuzo
    @SirBlimE said:
    "  http://www.gamereactor.dk/anmeldelser/83084/Crysis+2/  The danish review is also up, same score. He clocked the campaign at 12 hours. And praises the game for its pace and change in action to keep it from getting boring. Biggest complaint is the lack of a proper story, and that the aliens look and move like chrome gorillas with dreadlocks.   EDIT: Just noticed it's the same review just translated. "
    Yeah I didn't mention that earlier but I also remember the review mentioning the enemies in the last part of the game acted a little weirder.  More alien and less human which he acted was a bad thing but I guess I'll just have to wait and see.
    Maclintok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#28  Edited By Maclintok

I've got high hopes for Crysis 2 (pre-ordered for 360).  I think expecting a Far Cry 1 level of open-ness to my console shooters is expecting a bit much these days, although It would've been sweet to roam around NYC picking up missions in a non-linear fashion while progressing through the larger game in a hub-to-hub manner. Certainly, the dev team probably wanted to do a lot of epic scripted moments too and that is rather difficult to balance against open world antics. 

I recall an early developer video explaining how they were trying to achieve "mini sandboxes" within the framework of a linear, highly scripted campaign, but essentially all they're saying is that they've given you a bunch of tools (weapons, power suit abilities) and don't force you to just use one tool to overcome any single encounter or obstacle.  In developer-speak, it's:  "hey, our game is a bit more than just shooting!". 

But it really is all about shooting with some cloaking and ground-smashing thrown into the mix.  I'm perfectly fine with that.

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Contro

Nice.  

x360 Singleplayer Gameplay 

Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#30  Edited By Tordah

I understand Swedish, and based on that review the game seems pretty damn good.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#31  Edited By JJWeatherman

Nice to see some positive scores coming in. I feel justified for loving the demo now.

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Jackel2072

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.