Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Crysis

Franchise »

The series of games made by Crytek. Includes Crysis, Crysis: Warhead, Crysis 2, and Crysis 3.

my rant on Crysis

Masonicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I like Crysis, but there's some things that really killed Crysis for me: the Nanosuit Retcon(it retconned from cool Next-gen Power Armor that made by human to Alien Technology that works lot like Spiderman's Symbiote) and Nomad's Death

what do you think?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Crysis 1's first half is very good and an example of what modern shooters should be striving for, instead of super linear corridors.

Crysis 2 is more linear but its pacing and balance is top notch and the powers in that game allow you to do some awesome shit. It's the best game that Crytek has ever shipped.

However, I can't get myself interested in playing Crysis 3. I can't shake the suspicion that it's a poor man's version of 2.

Masonicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Masonicon

@believer258:

Well! what keeps me from playing Crysis 2, let alone Crysis 3 is: Nanosuit retcon(from Cool Next-gen Power Armor to Alien Technology that works just like Spiderman's symbiote)

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Crysis 1's first half is very good and an example of what modern shooters should be striving for, instead of super linear corridors.

Crysis 2 is more linear but its pacing and balance is top notch and the powers in that game allow you to do some awesome shit. It's the best game that Crytek has ever shipped.

However, I can't get myself interested in playing Crysis 3. I can't shake the suspicion that it's a poor man's version of 2.

I disagree with this, I thought the first game was far superior to the second one. It's mostly due to what they did with the nanosuit - they took away almost all of the control you had over it, and instead they really streamlined it. I know it makes it easier, but man, I felt like a badass switching between all of the modes in the first game, and it really gave me a sense of immersion that was sorely lacking in the second game.

The last fourth of the game wasn't good at all though, I HATED the zero-g level, but escaping the island was very cinematic and cool, despite the horrible new enemies to fight and the lack of any fun ways to fight them.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

3 is actually alright, still worth more or less playing through it to finish the story if you can get it for cheap on a sale.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

well, Crysis 2's nanosuit recon actually was interesting, since Crysis 1 was just a glorified cheat code super power. The main character was a dead man walking, he kept being used as vaccination for the alien spore machine, and then at the end he was melded in with prophet who was inside the suit the whole time. In part 1 the Koreans had a knock off Nanosuit which was identical but with the amount of variety of the terrain and combat just made it unique through just a gameplay experience. And in Part 1 the suit just felt like a excuse to do silly things then the actual importance of the narrative, I'm not sure if collecting barrels and pretending to be donkey kong atop of the highest peak was the original story Crytek intended, but that's my story of Crysis 1.

Still waiting for Part 3 to leave EA origin.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crithon: Ain't nuthin' wrong with Origin, duder.

@random45 said:

@believer258 said:

I disagree with this, I thought the first game was far superior to the second one. It's mostly due to what they did with the nanosuit - they took away almost all of the control you had over it, and instead they really streamlined it. I know it makes it easier, but man, I felt like a badass switching between all of the modes in the first game, and it really gave me a sense of immersion that was sorely lacking in the second game.

The last fourth of the game wasn't good at all though, I HATED the zero-g level, but escaping the island was very cinematic and cool, despite the horrible new enemies to fight and the lack of any fun ways to fight them.

I can see that, but the speedy transitions felt like they gave me "more presence on the battlefield", as it was once described to me. I played 2 before ever playing 1 and when going back, the first game just felt clunky in comparison. Yeah, it's streamlined, but it's streamlining done right. They cut out unnecessary stuff to make the game way more fun to play. They cut out a menu. Possibly the smallest, quickest menu in existence, but a menu nonetheless, and a menu in the middle of the battlefield is a really bad thing in my book.

@gaspower said:

@believer258 said:

3 is actually alright, still worth more or less playing through it to finish the story if you can get it for cheap on a sale.

I don't care about the story at all. I can barely tell you what happened in either of the Crysis games. There's some aliens, a disease, and old guy who wants my suit, a nice suit that some old guy wants, and it was all supposed to be written by that guy that did Altered Carbon. Super disappointing, Altered Carbon was a good book.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@believer258: maybe, but the last game I played on it was Mass Effect 3 and that left a horrible taste in my mouth.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Hayt

I've never quite understood how Crysis' suit controls were clunky. You have a radial menu, which seems to be the go to thing when you need to make something work on console so you really have no excuse if you're playing on PC. The only way it could be simpler is if it did all the changing for you, which is what they did in Crysis 2 which was a dire mistake.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By korwin

Two sentences with poor grammar does not a rant make.

Masonicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@korwin said:

Two sentences with poor grammar does not a rant make.

Why?

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By artelinarose

That about sums it up!

Though I haven't played Crysis 3. I spent $20 on it and it blue screens my computer after a few minutes because anything I have to run through Origin seems to. I don't get it.

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Vuud

I did not like the rebalancing and changes to the suit powers from Crysis 1 to 2.

Also, I'm playing through Crysis 2 and I REALLY miss the lady suit voice. :(

peacebrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

I had no idea what was going on in Crysis 2. Something about prophet and a suit or something, also New York for some reason. Game was still a blast to play.

Letting the story stop you from playing Crysis 2 is a pretty awful reason in my opinion; I think the entire series is a garbled mess of sci-fi nonsense. The games themselves are awesome though (haven't played 3).

EternalVigil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The story and motivations of the characters in Crysis are incredibility dumb and convoluted, as isn't it revealed near the end of Crysis 2 the creator of the Nanosuit is over 100 years old being kept alive by nanomachines and has been planning for the invasion all along, which coincidentally the aliens had also been planning for millions of years by burying their ships under Central Park?

I like the greater freedom that Crysis 1 had and letting you go off and do side objectives and tackle things any way you wanted using all the tools at your disposal. The problem is, both those games (Crysis 1 and 2, haven't played 3) break down once you add the Nanosuit as the thing straight up snaps any difficulty in half. You can spend the entire game virtually not fighting anyone by cloaking and just running to the objective unseen. Even the few times you have to fight you can just run away super fast, cloak and start picking them off one by one. Even on the hardest difficulty it's pretty easy to break any threat you face, especially when they added suit modifiers in 2 that allowed you to cloak for even longer without recharging.

I do like the suit voice in crysis 2 a lot though.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

2 was pretty awesome. I thought it found a great balance between tactical combat scenarios and over-the-top set piece moments. Like a mixture of Halo and CoD with some cool powers and guns thrown in.

I've had Crysis 3 sitting here since release, but I keep putting it off because I know my 360 version is inferior.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By EuanDewar

First Crysis is a weird one for me cause I was able to recognize much of what people found impressive about it but I just couldn't enjoy that stuff for myself, unfortunately. Crysis 2 I had a whole lot more fun with.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Whoa, I'm reeling from that exhausting rant. Crysis is a good series.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258 said:

That about sums it up!

Though I haven't played Crysis 3. I spent $20 on it and it blue screens my computer after a few minutes because anything I have to run through Origin seems to. I don't get it.

Have you tried uninstalling and re-installing Origin?

@vuud said:

I did not like the rebalancing and changes to the suit powers from Crysis 1 to 2.

Also, I'm playing through Crysis 2 and I REALLY miss the lady suit voice. :(

Yeah, the male suit voice is not great. The lady one was so nice and smooth and high-tech, and the male one just sounds way too electronic.

Masonicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forgot about anything else for a While, all what I said in this rant is: the Nanosuit origins are retconned from Cool Next-gen Power Armor to Alien Technology that works just like Spiderman symbiote as well Nomad's Death

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By NTM

The first Crysis is, along with a couple of others shooters, my favorite FPS ever. Warhead was superb, but perhaps too short which made it not quite as good as the original for me. Crysis 2 had great music, an OK atmosphere, and great visuals (that disappointed some since they weren't as good as they could have been). On the consoles at least, the game was marred by many visual and aural bugs and glitches, which made it unfun by itself, but it also had extremely terrible A.I. which just weren't that fun to fight, and especially watch (humans more than alien) and bad voice acting for the most part, so while in the end, I can call it a good game, it is perhaps one of the most disappointing games of the last generation.

As for three, it felt largely forgettable, not as in the events that occurred in the game, but as a game itself that came out in 2013 as compared to other big titles, but I enjoyed my two playthroughs of it and it fixed a lot of problems two had, though arguably had some worse aspects to it, still; good game and surprised me after what I would consider to be a failure two was. I hope they put out, at least, with or without Warhead (preferably in if they can), the trilogy on next-gen with fixes the games. I mean, better A.I., little to no bugs and glitches, which they all have, though in the original, most didn't bother me, and just visuals to match next/current-gen quality.

Make it so they look good, and run smoothly, so it may not be as good as the PC versions still, but they'd still look really great and run smooth. Some gameplay tweaks would be cool too. Anyways, yeah, because of one, I'm a huge fan of Crysis. I was really interested in exoskeleton suits at the time of playing Crysis, and when I first heard that the story for two was going to be more about that, I thought that was kind of cool, but then the way they took it was not at all what I wanted; plus, I wanted Nomad back because I felt they could explore him a bit more; he was a likable character to me, but no, he dies in the comics by a rocket.

In the comics, they also brought up some interesting stuff, like teleportation from Earth to... I think it was Jupiter, or a moon of Jupiter or something, as well as time travel, but then in the games, none of that was brought up. Oh, and yeah, that wasn't a rant, I guess mine would be considered more of a rant...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.