Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls II

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Mar 11, 2014

Blood, souls, and tears are continually spent as players traverse the land of Drangleic in FromSoftware's third entry in the Souls series.

Interesting glitch makes torches useful again

Tobako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

According to this thread at reddit http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/23sobt/glitch_in_the_undead_cryptditch_bonfire_area/

I've tested it myself in that area and it does work! provided that you don't have your brightness too high you will really need a torch in order to see the environment, unfortunately it goes away after awhile.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

Kind of weird to exploit a glitch that makes you have to use something you don't want to.

Torches, while not necessary, are still useful in The Gutter. They are also used for 2 boss fights, of which one it is fairly necessary to use. You can also use them on the enemies in No Man's Warf who are afraid of it. There are more uses for it (I killed someone in PvP with it once), but it's all optional.

Tobako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally I was really looking forward to it, I think having to use torches instead of a shield in dark areas would've made for a much more exciting and challenging experience. The character glow totally takes away the absolute necessity to use them.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Game would've been so much better if every area was Tomb of the Giants, I agree. Doom 3 is the greatest, most visually impressive game ever made. Also missing from this game: Poisonous swamp, sewer level, the ending cutscene of MGS4, pretentious Ken Levine plot twists, and Michael Bay.

rocketboot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is always 2-handing and dual wielding if you're looking for ways to get off without a shield. And although this is an exhausted argument I have to say, carrying a torch in a lot of areas does enhance visibility. It's not absolutely necessary but it really helps. In fact running out of torches already sucks, and there isn't a merchant that sells them or anything. If half the game was pitch black you could find yourself unable to progress if you ran out of enemies to farm for torches.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Game would've been so much better if every area was Tomb of the Giants, I agree. Doom 3 is the greatest, most visually impressive game ever made. Also missing from this game: Poisonous swamp, sewer level, the ending cutscene of MGS4, pretentious Ken Levine plot twists, and Michael Bay.

You know that would be a better ending. You walk up to the Throne.... all seems clear..... then there is a roar! You turn and look around "Metal Gear?!?!?!?!"

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@karkarov said:

@fredchuckdave said:

You know that would be a better ending. You walk up to the Throne.... all seems clear..... then there is a roar! You turn and look around "Metal Gear?!?!?!?!"

YES YES YES.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I can't tell if you are being facetious. While everything sounds dumb, having Michael Bay direct this game would've, obviously, made it the best game ever.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#9  Edited By musubi

I don't see why this is a big deal at all.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I don't see why this is a big deal at all.

Kaos999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They've always been useful for me. Dont understand that because something is useless for you its useless for everyone? I've only used my flasks for healing, making the other healing items completely useless for me, are they universally considered useless?

Thought this silly notion had died already....

Mic_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Mic_D

I've found hidden ledges while carrying a torch, but apart from a few enemy types I rarely found them useful.

@kaos999 Depends on the situation. Popping a life gem will still allow you to move while healing which can be very handy.

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Krullban

Using ENB on PC makes the game pretty awesome.

Kaos999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Mic

Not for me as it's much quicker to down a flask than to go through that slow walk animation at 115 agility. Seriously. Dont understand why adp gets ignored as even when my dodge timing is off I still get missed 95% of the time.

That being said I still wouldn't discount the healing items just because they are useless for me. That's all I was saying.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c26fd6917af0
    deactivated-5c26fd6917af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I like the torch how it is. The places where it gets used seem meaningful and fun. Using it everywhere sounds tedious.

It also creates an issue with the limited time of the torch. I'm sure there are some people who would think it adds more tension except it really just means, "Well I guess I have to go farm more," if you happen to run out of time on it. I haven't checked, but over the course of my last playthrough I built up roughly 3 hours of torch time, but probably spent far more than that in dark areas.

mason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been cranking the contrast on both my graphics card and monitor to make the brights brighter and the darks darker. It makes the game look a lot less washed out. Not only does it make things moodier, it also serves to make the game more exciting since I'm sometimes surprised by what's lurking in dark areas. It makes the torch a useful tool at times, and I find myself going out of my way to light those sconces.

It's never as dark as the Tomb of the Giants. Nothing is ever pitch black, nor do I want THAT. I just like it to look closer to the contrast level of the early DS2 footage.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.