Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls II

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Mar 11, 2014

Blood, souls, and tears are continually spent as players traverse the land of Drangleic in FromSoftware's third entry in the Souls series.

Leaving messages in Dark Souls II

chiablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I know that you no longer need the orange soapstone to leave messages for other players, but did they increase the number of options available?

I found it super frustrating when someone would leave a super cryptic message that probably made sense to the author at the time, but is meaningless to me.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I actually kind of feel like the somewhat cryptic messages is part of the charm of the Souls series. There are occasionally some pretty noticeable omissions that are hard to get around though.

ostinatto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

how can i leave messages in this game?

there is no orange soapstone?

Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

@ostinatto: Just press Start and go to the menu tab for messages. You can write messages, review recently seen messages, and check your own messages from there.

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can combine two sentences, so you can leave a message like "treasure ahead but Be wary of ambush"

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

The messages are WAY better now with the options to add a second little sentence. They're still cryptic but you can be clearer, i.e. stuff like "treasure ahead, be wary of left" to indicate treasure ahead to the left. I left a "treasure ahead, try jumping" message on the rooftops in Forest of Fallen Giants and that's gotten a TON of ratings. Getting ratings gives you health so it's a big help while you're out exploring. Especially since Estus uses and lifegems are in short supply.

The only weird part is that I'm not sure if there's a max number of messages you can have at any given time or what, because I've been leaving a lot and they seem to be disappearing from my written history.

chiablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The messages are WAY better now with the options to add a second little sentence. They're still cryptic but you can be clearer, i.e. stuff like "treasure ahead, be wary of left" to indicate treasure ahead to the left. I left a "treasure ahead, try jumping" message on the rooftops in Forest of Fallen Giants and that's gotten a TON of ratings. Getting ratings gives you health so it's a big help while you're out exploring. Especially since Estus uses and lifegems are in short supply.

The only weird part is that I'm not sure if there's a max number of messages you can have at any given time or what, because I've been leaving a lot and they seem to be disappearing from my written history.

I'm really glad to hear this. Dark Souls messages were essentially useless, other than the occasional "Try Humanity" when a boss fog gate was nearby or where a lot of people have summoning signs.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I really like the new messaging system myself. I rate anything that is true, funny or encouraging.

rocketboot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh my god I laughed soooooooo hard when I saw a message that read "Praise the sun! and then Praise the sun!"

Avatar image for singingmenstrual
    SingingMenstrual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If anyone can write messages whenever they want that everyone else sees, does this mean the Souls games have pathways and walls littered with millions of messages?

How does this work?

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Steadying

@singingmenstrual: You don't see literally everyone's messages. The most I've ever seen crowded up is, like, five or something. You generally only see a lot near a fog gate that leads to a boss.

smokeyd123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm actually happy to say that someone rating a message saved my life, giving me enough health to take the swing that would have killed me. THE SYSTEM WORKS!

I've been getting a ton of ratings on a message I left near the pots that break your health just before Black Gulch.

Branwulf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I found one that read...

*ahem*

"Tongue but hole"

: |

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.