Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls II

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Mar 11, 2014

Blood, souls, and tears are continually spent as players traverse the land of Drangleic in FromSoftware's third entry in the Souls series.

Pre-order bonus items, worth it?

expensiveham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By expensiveham

Are the pre-order items worth getting? I am asking because the cheapest steam keys i can find don't include the pre-order bonuses (7€ difference).

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By soldierg654342

All the stats on them that I've seen makes them look like total ass. They look like they've all been dipped in taffy too. I would say no, they aren't worth the money.

Myrmicus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Plus, you can buy them from a merchant later in game.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Honestly, they are pretty awful even for starting gear.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Dixavd

I got a T-shirt for pre-ordering the physical PC copy, certainly beats any of those in-game items.

Avatar image for muttersometaxicab
    MuttersomeTaxicab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Transgressor's Staff isn't too bad if you're going hex/spell early on, but that's kind of it?

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They have garbage for scaling.

Plus you can buy them later on in the game if you HAVE to have them. Granted by that point you're near the end and probably have great gear already. So yeah...

Don't worry about it. Plus they look super stupid.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By cornbredx

If you already know you are going to get it on Steam that's worth it in and of itself. That and you can usually preload the game which is nice.

The items themselves aren't anything to shout home about but I was thinking of doing the pre order as well for the other bonuses that come with it (soundtrack, comic book PDF thing, art book PDF thing). In game pre order items are not really the draw for me doing it.

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

OH SHIT!

I just realised that I never got a code for that stuff in my collector's edition. . . Bought it directly from Namco's store too. Huh.

I finished Dark Souls II like three weeks ago now so to answer your question; I guess not.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I used one of the DLC shield until I found myself another shield in very early on. I believe I also used one of the DLC weapons when my starting weapon was on the verge of breaking. They can be useful early on, but you'll eventually replace them.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Karkarov

The only worthy bonuses DS2 had were in japan where you could get a wooden box with resin models of a bunch of the games weapons and shields. The in game pre order bonuses are a joke, don't waste your money. Like others have also said, they can still be bought in game if you just have to have them.

plop1920

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By plop1920

Not at all, they have bad scaling and you can get them later in the game. I think the only useful one is the light shield because the stats required aren't ridiculous for new characters

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They were only useful to me because I started as the class without a shield, and this gave me a shield I could use right away.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

Plus you can buy them later on in the game if you HAVE to have them. Granted by that point you're near the end and probably have great gear already. So yeah...

I actually think the Faraam armor looks cool. Just a preference thing obviously. I've seen many people say they don't like how it looks, but I used it on one of my characters and really enjoyed the ... cosmetic value? No idea if that's a thing. It is now though.

Anyway, no you don't need get any of the items. You get access to them earlier in the game with the pre-order, but they are still in the game if you don't have that pre-order bonus. You just get access to them in the latter half of the game. I haven't used any of the weapons, because I think all the weapons look shit. I used the armor though and it's not bad at all. I guess you can get better armor compared to the weight it has, but whatever. I never maximize weight/armor/cost efficiency and effectiveness. I care more about how my dude looks than him taking several % more damage. I found that all the armors I really liked the look of, when reinforced to +10, they all get the job done just fine.

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

They are pretty much garbage, the black armor set is kinda cool, but you get that later on anyways. Plus that part of the preorder stuff seems broken because I had to get the black armor the normal way even though it was suppsed to be with the pre order code in the black armor edition.

expensiveham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for the replies, got the cheapest steam key i could find (30€).

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion said:

@clonedzero said:

I actually think the Faraam armor looks cool. Just a preference thing obviously. I've seen many people say they don't like how it looks, but I used it on one of my characters and really enjoyed the ... cosmetic value? No idea if that's a thing. It is now though.

Anyway, no you don't need get any of the items. You get access to them earlier in the game with the pre-order, but they are still in the game if you don't have that pre-order bonus. You just get access to them in the latter half of the game. I haven't used any of the weapons, because I think all the weapons look shit. I used the armor though and it's not bad at all. I guess you can get better armor compared to the weight it has, but whatever. I never maximize weight/armor/cost efficiency and effectiveness. I care more about how my dude looks than him taking several % more damage. I found that all the armors I really liked the look of, when reinforced to +10, they all get the job done just fine.

What? Faraam armor isn't the preorder stuff is it? Either way i LOVE the faraam armor, i use it myself as well.

I was talking about the stupid weapons and shields.

Cloudleet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

I didn't get the weapons till the day after I started playing it and by then they were pretty much garbage. You will find better stuff two hours in.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@clonedzero: It's not? Huh... I was under the impression it was, but now that you mention it I have no idea where I got that from. I haven't used my code yet and probably never will. I don't see the point to get stuff early. I barely ever use pre-order stuff anyway. Still have some stuff for ME3. Played that game to shit and never used that code either.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Personally I love making a new character and immediately having options instead of having to go through the motions for the first few hours, they're not particularly powerful but they're fun to use much like almost every other weapon.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.