Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls II

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Mar 11, 2014

Blood, souls, and tears are continually spent as players traverse the land of Drangleic in FromSoftware's third entry in the Souls series.

Where do I practice rolling?

ScarFaceNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I am trying to beat the floating boss guy u fight after u kill the giant but it seems like if i just block and wait for a opportunity to attack nothing happens and he just takes my stamina down, but i figured that roll is a better option and i was about to get him to half health before he destroyed me. Now I'm just wondering where is a good stop to train for rolling with out getting hurt too much? I tried the hollow infantry but they just have daggers which are too easy since they have very little range. The spear dudes hurt too much for me to practice, So where should i practice? (P.S. 2 bonus questions, is adaptation more important then agility when it comes it roll? what class is best suited for a rolling play-style?)

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By mosespippy

I'd say practice rolling against the Old Knights that are in Hiede's Tower of Flame. It's right outside of Majula, they are big and slow so it's easy to go under their attacks, and there is a bonfire right next to the first one.

Edit: If you are going to use a dodging play style (like I did) then you might as well unequip your shield and either two hand your weapon or dual wield two weapons. If you aren't blocking with it then it's only extra weight you're carrying around and it's reducing your stamina regen and increasing how fast your stamina drains. The extra weight is also shortening the distance of your rolls.

white

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By white

Farm a bit and put points into ADP. It increases your agility which increases the number of invulnerable frames you get in your roll. That, in turn, would give you a larger window to dodge his attacks and make your life easier.

See this page for information of Agility.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

If you don't want to roll him, keep your shield up, lock on and walk to the right. He will miss most attacks and you can block the few he won't. Then just attack between his moves.

Agility is THE stat that affects rolling, BUT you can't put points directly into it. You get agility by putting points into adaptability, so the answer is both.

All the classes are good for rolling, just get more endurance and adaptability, 20 for both is fine in most cases.

Popogeejo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Popogeejo

It's best to practice on the floating dude himself. Each enemy has their own timing and own tells.

I really struggled with floating dude until I worked out his tell and openings. If that isn't for you though then head to the Tower of Flame, back through Majula. The enemies there are a nice intro to the type of wide sweeps you'll be facing.

Dragon4234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Parry The Pursuer in front of a balliste then shoot him with it, and then wack him with anything once. Done.

ScarFaceNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It doesn't help since the i-frames are reduced in half on the pc since it is 60fps unlike consoles which have 30fps. Thats pretty bad programming to be honest. :/

Dragon4234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It doesn't help since the i-frames are reduced in half on the pc since it is 60fps unlike consoles which have 30fps. Thats pretty bad programming to be honest. :/

Ugh you serious? That's kinda a bummer.

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The only thing I can say to help is: Roll to the left. Always roll to the left.

Ideally you want to roll towards him and left so that you don't lose the opportunity running back to him!

ScarFaceNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dragon4234: Just proves you need more skill to play on pc :)

ScarFaceNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OMFG I was 1 hit away from killing him then he fucking impales me and curses me to death! :(

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

When rolling, there are two things to consider: When the invincibility frame will occur to avoid damage, and where you will stand-up after the roll.

If you think you can dodge to be outside the range of the attack, do this (though it should be noted that hit-boxes are odd, and seem to change depending on the enemy and the attack, and not just where your character's hit-box is). If you just need to avoid the damage, rolling towards the enemy is usually a good move unless the enemy has a flurry of attacks (in which case to the side is the best option).

Enemies seem to have more flexibility in their attacks though, so sometimes moving to a better position can be worse as the spin that enemies can do to hit you can sometimes catch you off-guard so you don't dodge properly. Also, enemies can cancel out of a combo if any intermediate attack misses, so don't get overconfident when you dodge out of range (as they might retaliate with an attack that can hit further away.

I still think that a shield is a better option most of the time, and most enemies don't really take advantage of the times when one of their hits breaks your defence and leaving you flailing.

Also, don't forget to look around boss environments for good places to attack from (or envirmental traps to attack with... hint, hint).

ScarFaceNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dixavd: He keeps moving before i can hit him with the slow ass catapult things

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

source?

ScarFaceNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By Tennmuerti

@scarfaceninja said:

@tennmuerti: go to the link that white posted

Wow i guess now it makes sense why I found the pursuer so difficult to dodge as a dw character on my first playthrough. If the parry frames work the same way it would also explain why it's so easy to parry him on consoles. That's kind of fucked up.

ScarFaceNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tennmuerti: Also you weapons degrade twice as fast too....

ScarFaceNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GOOD NEWS GUYS! I was finally able to take him down! That's 3 bosses now! The pirate town is my next destination :)

white

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scarfaceninja said:

@tennmuerti: go to the link that white posted

Wow i guess now it makes sense why I found the pursuer so difficult to dodge as a dw character on my first playthrough. If the parry frames work the same way it would also explain why it's so easy to parry him on consoles. That's kind of fucked up.

Someone posted otherwise.

white

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By white

@dudeglove: Only if you care about your weapons breaking too fast. Frankly, it doesn't really matter for me.

PS: Dodging still works as intended at 60 FPS.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.