Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

10 Minutes of Gameplay Footage

Timing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 19

#1  Edited By Timing

Edit: here's a video that only shows the actual gameplay. See below for the original post.

Here's an interview which finally shows us some raw gameplay, and I think it looks great, albeit very familiar. The camera is shifted at 1:10 to show the entire screen, and while the text is in Arabic and the answers are in Japanese, the answers do eventually get translated into English.

Like other previews have mentioned, very similar looking interface though apparently no mana bar (Edit: upon closer inspection it looks like magic (at least the form that's shown here) works with a sort of 'ammo count' similar to arrows). Light and heavy attacks return, I think they even mention that in one the answers. And there's a cool boss which, of course, kills the player. Overall the game looks a little faster than Demon's Souls, especially when it comes to ladder climbing, and I'm very much okay with that.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#2  Edited By Icemael

It literally just looks like Demon's Souls with better graphics. 

Which is cool. I liked Demon's Souls. And I realize there are new things that aren't really shown in the demo, like the open world. But still... I was hoping for more improvements to the combat. I can't believe they've kept the shitty lock-on system. Action games these days should be able to detect what enemy you're trying to hit by checking the direction in which you're moving the analogue stick, and temporarily auto-target that enemy.

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By RobotHamster

Awesome thanks for this, even though I never finished Demon's Souls I'm still pretty interested in this.

Tackchevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Tackchevy

WANT 

Definitely Demon's Souls 2. Almost a DS 1.5, if you will.  Looks like a rare refinement of something that was already great. Demon's Souls is to Dark Souls as SMG was to SMG 2.  Somewhat disappointed by the lack of an MP gauge, but I think that I'll learn to love it just as much as "YOU DIED"

Day 1 get, I'm taking vacation from work the release date on through that weekend. GameStop better open the fuck on time. Haven't nerdgasmed like this since xmas '92, for real. 

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By scarace360

Ok im will to try it this time around.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By RE_Player1

Yo that looks like Demon's Souls but now it's for the 360 too. 

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By kingzetta

that monster on the bridge was badass.

ventilaator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By ventilaator

It's literally Demon's Souls. It's called Dark Souls so they could put it out on the 360 (with Sony owning the Demon's Souls name and all), but couldn't Sony sue for something like this?

Timing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Timing

Updated the OP with a video of just the screen. No audio though.

I hope some more footage will surface over the coming days, what with E3 and all.

Timing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Timing

Here's the (to my knowledge) first video with sound.

It shows a bonfire (respawn point), messages, the menu for Sixaxis gestures (I wonder how they'll handle those on the 360) and lots of (poor) fighting.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By benjaebe

So it's Demon's Souls again except with half of a new name.

Fucking brilliant, day one buy.

Timing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Timing

Gah, apparently they showed it on GameSpot live earlier, but I missed it. I'm not sure if they showed any more than these two videos but dude... just watch these two videos! 
    It looks like you'll be able to jump in this game, and also kick to break the enemy's guard, just like the knights in world 1-3 and 1-4 of Demon's Souls could.

Edit: there is more yet.   

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.