Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Any interest in Monster Hunter?

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By imhungry

Seeing as how there's been such a great reaction to the Souls series even with what some would call clunky or slow-moving battle mechanics that require a lot of patience and careful execution, I find it odd that the Monster Hunter series never quite met with the same success in western territories. It has similar purely skill based combat, with no leveling mechanic at all, yet never caught on in the same way. Full disclosure, I haven't actually played Dark Souls, but from what I've seen it strikes me as being similar and a game that I could get into as a Monster Hunter lover. And so I'm curious as to what you Dark Souls players think about this.

Any of you finding yourselves interested in Monster Hunter after exposure to this? Is the difference in successes simply due to the surrounding game and world being less engaging?

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Chop

Nope. 

I don't like the Monster Hunter series but Demon's Souls is my favorite PS3 game and might just be my favorite game this gen (Dark Souls is up there too).

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @ImHungry said:

Seeing as how there's been such a great reaction to the Souls series even with what some would call clunky or slow-moving battle mechanics that require a lot of patience and careful execution, I find it odd that the Monster Hunter series never quite met with the same success in western territories. It has similar purely skill based combat, with no leveling mechanic at all, yet never caught on in the same way. Full disclosure, I haven't actually played Dark Souls, but from what I've seen it strikes me as being similar and a game that I could get into as a Monster Hunter lover. And so I'm curious as to what you Dark Souls players think about this.

Any of you finding yourselves interested in Monster Hunter after exposure to this? Is the difference in successes simply due to the surrounding game and world being less engaging?

Controls mostly. Do not feel like flinging around a Wii remote. In Dark souls my attacks where calculated and I did not have to worry about some motion bar messing up.
    TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By TobbRobb

I got a bit interested, and I've tried a little MH. But it just felt too slow and deliberate. I just didn't think it was fun, you literally had to make the monster stand still and take like a 5 second swing that was impossible to cancel. It's too bad, because I actually like the theme and atmosphere of MH and it seems to have that enjoyable grind. I just didn't like the combat.

DEMONOLOGY_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DEMONOLOGY_24

dark souls totally has leveling up last time I played I was totally level 24. and to answer your question the reason monster hunter never became successful was because capcom refuses to put it on any major platforms not many people play on their psp's or wii's and people who have those two systems don't usually play this kind of game. to put it simply put it on xbox playstation and pc and people will buy and play but as of now nobody wants to play it.

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By themangalist

Dark souls' combat looked responsive and satisfying. I can hardly say the same for Monster Hunter for what I've played of it. I don't know how to say it in specific terms, but MH is hardly a game I would call having great combat. 

CountMacula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By CountMacula

@The_Laughing_Man: Pretty sure MH3 was designed with the classic controller in mind. I think there was even a bundle that had some newer version of the thing packed in with it? I could be mistaken though...

Boiglenoight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Boiglenoight

I'd love, LOVE to see a Dark Souls / Monster Hunter gameplay mashup. The theme and controls of Dark Souls, with the monster hunting / crafting / farms of MH.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TentPole

I really enjoyed Monster Hunter Tri

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#10  Edited By Hector

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@ImHungry said:

Controls mostly. Do not feel like flinging around a Wii remote. In Dark souls my attacks where calculated and I did not have to worry about some motion bar messing up.

The Monster Hunter game for the Wii is played with the classic controller. So it plays like any other MH game on a Playstation console.

Crono11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Crono11

I LOVE Monster Hunter. It broke my heart when they made Tri for the Wii.

I haven't had a chance to play either Demons or Dark Souls but I plan to in the future.

SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SteamPunkJin

If they'd put out a Monster Hunter on the 360 or PC (and release it in NA Territories) I would be all over it in a heart beat.

So far the only things that have come close imo are : The Bosses in Lost Planet 2 and Peacewalker HD

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By CptBedlam

Nope... very different tone, style and even gameplay (combat in MH is slower and much less responsive)

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Hector said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@ImHungry said:

Controls mostly. Do not feel like flinging around a Wii remote. In Dark souls my attacks where calculated and I did not have to worry about some motion bar messing up.

The Monster Hunter game for the Wii is played with the classic controller. So it plays like any other MH game on a Playstation console.

Again still the controls seemed off for all the ones I played. 
    OtherworldOdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By OtherworldOdd

I love Dark Souls and I love Monster Hunter. I played the hell out of them on the PSP. Like 500+ hours on the first one.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jack268

I'm loving Freedom Unite right now, but I think I'm gonna put the series down for the moment and wait for Tri G or 4.

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By supamon

Yep. Monster Hunter is one of my favorite games. Played through all the versions on the PSP with friends to max HR. Don't own a PS3 but always had a interest in Demon souls so Dark souls was my first foray into the soul series and wasn't let down.

@Crono11: The news broke mine too. Try out Dark Souls when you can. I'm sure you will like it as I did.

@SteamPunkJin: You know what's even worse? There IS a Monster Hunter for the 360 and PC. Except the 360 version is only for Japan only (it's IP locked) and the PC version is only for Japan and Korea. Why Capcom why??? :(

SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SteamPunkJin

@supamon said:

@SteamPunkJin: You know what's even worse? There IS a Monster Hunter for the 360 and PC. Except the 360 version is only for Japan only (it's IP locked) and the PC version is only for Japan and Korea. Why Capcom why??? :(

Yea, I found out about those while trying to find a way to get a PSP Emulator and and MH games working so a friend in Canada and I could play - seems like Tri is the best hope for any real MH in the US, but I don't know that it warrants buying a Wii.

Right now PeaceWalker HD is playing out a lot like Monster Hunter with guns, just hit the first boss I think I -need- to coop for. Sadly I doubt I'll be crafting the Tank's parts into some cool new armor.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MiniPato

I think MH isn't a success here because Capcom refuses to put it out on a platform that has a good, well supported online. Put it out on the PSP, of course it won't succeed in the west since it's heavily pirated, barely anyone has one, and the west is not like the condensed Japan where it's easy to find people to play with. Put it out on the Wii? Again, not a very accessible online system. Now they put it out on the 3DS? Jesus Capcom, come on! The reason why online is important, imo, is because I could not get into MH until I went online. Every MH game after the first (not counting unreleased ones) have been on platforms where online is not the strong point and they are continuing that trend. It's much easier to grasp the combat and gameplay if you're playing with others.

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By McShank

@Boiglenoight said:

I'd love, LOVE to see a Dark Souls / Monster Hunter gameplay mashup. The theme and controls of Dark Souls, with the monster hunting / crafting / farms of MH.

im with this idea. I enjoy the control of the Souls games vs the wii's style but the monster hunter games are pretty in depth and are enjoyable. I Love my Monster hunter freedom on psp, just wish it was on a console with better controls.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By imsh_pl

The idea of an RPG with no character progression doesn't really appeal to me (I know that MH is more of a dungeon crawler but you get the idea).

musclerider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By musclerider

I wish MH existed on a system that didn't make me want to throw myself down a flight of stairs. A PSP? Blech. I guess the social gaming aspect of the PSP is kind of lost on us westerners.

Also trying to cycle between items while getting attacked by an enemy that you can't lock on to is constantly running out of frame is kind of annoying. Dark Souls at least feels like a game that was made during the last 10 years.

For me personally MH felt needlessly complicated and obtuse while in Dark Souls it made more sense. This is coming from someone who beat Dark Souls but just could not bring myself to play MH.

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By supamon

@SteamPunkJin said:

@supamon said:

Yea, I found out about those while trying to find a way to get a PSP Emulator and and MH games working so a friend in Canada and I could play - seems like Tri is the best hope for any real MH in the US, but I don't know that it warrants buying a Wii.

Right now PeaceWalker HD is playing out a lot like Monster Hunter with guns, just hit the first boss I think I -need- to coop for. Sadly I doubt I'll be crafting the Tank's parts into some cool new armor.

I have contemplated the same thing for the Wii but at this point I think it's a better idea to skip it and wait for the next one to hopefully appear on other consoles as well.

I've played Peace Walker HD and as much as I love Metal Gear it's not scratching the itch for me either. It tries to be like MH but lacks the depth of the armor crafting, mineral/parts collection, item combining system or melee combat. But it's still Metal Gear so I still like it lol.

Unlocking the MH missions and fighting Rathalos with guns is awesome for awhile but it gets a little stale since I'm basically spamming rockets at him from afar.

Avatar image for muttersometaxicab
    MuttersomeTaxicab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

I really had some fun with Monster Hunter Tri. I keep meaning to go back to it. If a PS3 version ever washes ashore in the West, I will totally be all over it. Admittedly, I'm much more fond of Dark Souls' tone/content/mood, but there is something oddly compelling about the batshit insane design decisions made for both games.

meismike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By meismike

I don't know why people say there is no character progression in monster hunter, that's what the whole game is about. Its all in the gear that you make(very similar to how you upgrade your gear in DS but 10 times more complicated and varied). The "problem" is you can't just keep killing the base enemy 10000 times to get better. The other problem is all the negative press it gets, so many people are misinformed. I urge anyone who loves DS to just give it a try... for more than 3-4 hours.

Avatar image for captaintightpants
    CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Monster Hunter is the reason I thought I would enjoy the souls series. Unsurprisingly Dark Souls was my favorite game of 2011 and I still love the hell out of Monster Hunter. I want Monster Hunter on the 360 but hey... what can you do.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#27  Edited By ProfessorEss

@The_Laughing_Man said:

Controls mostly.

Yup. Monster Hunter (in concept) always seemed like something that I would enjoy.

Gimme a full-fledged PS3 or 360 Monster Hunter and I'd be more than happy to give it a whirl.

robot4me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By robot4me

@The_Laughing_Man: you must not play many wii games because monster hunter 3 had a special edition with a classic controller. It plays great without any wii motion gestures.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @robot4me said:

@The_Laughing_Man: you must not play many wii games because monster hunter 3 had a special edition with a classic controller. It plays great without any wii motion gestures.

What does me not playing many wii games have to do with it? I sold my Wii when I got tired of the Wii mote. Never looked back. ALso Istill think Wii motion plus should have been part of the bundles from the get go. Why pay for someone that should have worked right from the start? 
    matoya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#30  Edited By matoya
    No Caption Provided

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@robot4me said:

What does me not playing many wii games have to do with it? I sold my Wii when I got tired of the Wii mote. Never looked back. ALso Istill think Wii motion plus should have been part of the bundles from the get go. Why pay for someone that should have worked right from the start?
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @robot4me said:

Also on a side note. I do not keep track of all the Wii control stuff. When I hear Wii I jump right to the motion controls. Sadly thats what the gimmick has gotten into my head as being. 
    robot4me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By robot4me

@Matoya: what's with the picture. you look like you are going to cry.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.