Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

At First - Upset That My Job/Kids Prevents Me from Playing More

Awolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Awolf007

As I'm seeing so many people post thread about finishing the game, my competitive nature begins to become frustrated that I'm just now in Anor Londo even after getting the game on release date. However, I'm only 30 hours in due to my job/kids/wife and other life responsibilities in general. However, I have flipped my perception.....

I am genuinely appreciating the fact that I'm only 50% or so done with the game because once its over, NG+ will inevitably happen (just like Demon's Souls), but it isn't AS great as the first discovery/play- through. Games like this don't come along often. I am so utterly captivated by the gameplay, visuals, infinite customizability, online co-op options and pvp, that I want to savor this experience. Fortunately, life is forcing me to do so - because if I didn't have a mortgage, two young kids and a sometimes annoying (but very hot) wife - I would be playing this game full-time.

So - just wanted to send out some Friday gratitude for the sheer, brilliant enjoyment playing Dark Souls brings. (Not to mention I get off work at 4pm today and will get some play time in before wife and kids get home from work/daycare. :)

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By LordXavierBritish

How hot is very hot.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#3  Edited By DarthOrange

I know how you feel. I'm only about 13 hours in. Thanks school! and i have a psychology mid term next week. :(

It does make you appreciate games that much more though.

Awolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Awolf007

Solid 8.5 (when tan and wearing tight clothing/short shorts). Not posting a picture on an internet forum, though - if thats the next question.

bombHills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By bombHills

I feel ya man, minus the kids part. A wife, mortgage, and job takes it's toll on game time. The best was last week when the lady went to visit her sister out of state. I don't even remember the last time I played that much... hope she takes another trip soon after Skyrim drops.

LOCKETHETHIEF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By LOCKETHETHIEF

I feel as though I'll get much more enjoyment out of this than Skyrim. I had a real satisfaction after beating the game solo. Like already mentioned, games like this don't come along often.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Doctorchimp

Yeah I'm also just about 30 hours in. Between school and hanging out with friends, Dark Souls was my home entertainment.

I'm definitely not envious of people who can pour twice that amount of time though and beat it....jesus...

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MikeGosot

Retarded Question #1: Why don't you play with your kids? 

When my 6 year old sister started to annoy me while i played No More Heroes i said to her: "Hey, do you want to cut bad guys with A LASER SWORD!?" and she was like "WOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!". I'm not expecting your children to actually learn to play Dark Souls, but if you're playing with them by your side, maybe they would be all like: "WOW! DRAGONS!"

Mrsignerman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Mrsignerman44

@MikeGosot said:

Retarded Question #1: Why don't you play with your kids? When my 6 year old sister started to annoy me while i played No More Heroes i said to her: "Hey, do you want to cut bad guys with A LASER SWORD!?" and she was like "WOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!". I'm not expecting your children to actually learn to play Dark Souls, but if you're playing with them by your side, maybe they would be all like: "WOW! DRAGONS!"

I don't think it's a good idea to put kids near someone who is playing dark souls.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@Mrsignerman44 said:

@MikeGosot said:

Retarded Question #1: Why don't you play with your kids? When my 6 year old sister started to annoy me while i played No More Heroes i said to her: "Hey, do you want to cut bad guys with A LASER SWORD!?" and she was like "WOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!". I'm not expecting your children to actually learn to play Dark Souls, but if you're playing with them by your side, maybe they would be all like: "WOW! DRAGONS!"

I don't think it's a good idea to put kids near someone who is playing dark souls.

It is if you hate children.
    jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#11  Edited By jacksukeru

@MikeGosot: It's all fun and games until someone attacks the blacksmith :)

Me? I don't have any of those things holding me back from pouring in an insane amount of time into this game. Unfortunately, unlike Demon's Souls I've had a far greater lust to experiment with the different classes this time, thus I started a total of four characters, the first of which I remade several hours in. Basically I've seen the first part of the game a lot.

Like a real lot.

Seriously a lot.

Currently have a Thief looking dude I'm not sure what to do with, might teach him a bunch of miracles, a Magic Spear wielding lass in light armor, a Heavily Armored lady whose Drake Sword I'm thinking I might replace with an Axe eventually and a fierce Black Knight greatsword swinging pyromancer woman. They're all pretty fun to play but the combination of wanting to see everything and an odd form of procrastination has kept me from seeing more than three bosses so far (Not counting the tutorial one). I'm satisfied with this number of characters though so I guess I'm about to regain some forward momentum.

Awolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Awolf007

@MikeGosot - the game is a little violent and bloody for a 5 year old (my son). The Mrs gets on me HARD if I let him watch. He is TOTALLY into it when I let him though. And you were exactly right, he was all over the Red Dragon on the bridge. The last time I let him watch was last Friday when i was farming the bridge with the Dragon fire trick and he kept saying, "Go back to the dragon, aren't you gonna fight him? ". I was like, "Do you want your Father to die?" My daughter is 2, so her main focus in life is destroying shit to get attention. So if I'm playing and they're both home, I throw on some transformers on my laptop to keep them busy. Inevitably my son comes in the living room and starts watching - who can blame him with how amazing this game looks? The problem arises when my wife comes home and they're both pretending to kill dragons and my wife is like, "so how long did u play Dark Souls while they were watching?"

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.