Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Double ass handed day today

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By kingzetta

I beat the first three or four bosses like nothing, I got to the Tooth dragon today and raped me hard.
    On my way back i got cursed which really bummed me out for like an hour. Then I lifted the curse and made me very happy.
    I decide to go down to the forest instead, me and two other guys laid wasted to everything in there. Then we got to the Moonlight Butterfly and it kill all of us quite fast. None of us had any long ranged attacks and all of it's attacks went through our shields. We were just scampering around the narrow bridge, wondering what to do. It was fun day today, I actually made a lot of progress. 

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By TheHT

nice. the butterfly was a bitch for me too. i tried firing arrows, but it takes so long and doesn't do much damage that it's not worth potentially screwing up the timing on dodging it's attacks. i also tried equipping an old wooden shield to block instead of dodging (it had the highest % magic def for me) but the thing attacks A LOT before resting.

after thinking i had dodging down, it one shotted me with it's third attack (the left-to-right beam) so i grinded some souls, bought 99 firebombs, and just spammed it with them until it was dead.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By BisonHero

@TheHT said:

nice. the butterfly was a bitch for me too. i tried firing arrows, but it takes so long and doesn't do much damage that it's not worth potentially screwing up the timing on dodging it's attacks. i also tried equipping an old wooden shield to block instead of dodging (it had the highest % magic def for me) but the thing attacks A LOT before resting.

after thinking i had dodging down, it one shotted me with it's third attack (the left-to-right beam) so i grinded some souls, bought 99 firebombs, and just spammed it with them until it was dead.

In general, how effective is "spam the shit out of a boss with firebombs"? I haven't played the game myself, only watched the Quick Look where Rorie used the same tactic on an earlier boss.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By TheHT

@BisonHero: well, so far it's been workable on everything i fought except the hydra. so i'd say it's super effective.

white

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By white

@BisonHero said:

In general, how effective is "spam the shit out of a boss with firebombs"? I haven't played the game myself, only watched the Quick Look where Rorie used the same tactic on an earlier boss.

Not unless the boss is severely weak to fire (like the slime boss in Demon's). Otherwise, you're just wasting your time and your souls.

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@kingzetta
    I beat the butterfly on my first try, had 10 flasks though which definitely helped. I found that if you run all the way to the end of the bridge (opposite side from the fog that leads past the boss area) it will stop doing the hard-to-dodge spread attacks and start shooting these slow-moving homing balls at you, which can be rolled through with relative ease. So I blocked the spread shots and rolled through everything else. Also, when it switches sides, use the broken wall as cover! Its shots won't go through and you can just stand there till it switches again.  It's actually probably harder with multiple people.

rubberluffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By rubberluffy

What exactly does curse do?  I see people talk about it all time but never what it does.

On my end, I just beat that big club knight thing that is behind the locked door by the Taurus demon, after I had accidently ran into him from the other side (darkroot) and got beaten into paste.  Backstabs work REAL well against him.  Got a Havel's Ring for my troubles.

Been taking it real slow because I'm pretty nervous about things.  Explored the underground city (with the dogs and bandits) and darkroot a bit.  Hate the city.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MiniPato

I beat it after maybe my 4th try. I'm a thief class, so magic isn't my forte. But I did buy soul arrow which allows me 30 casts. And I had a tin catalyst which has a pretty high physical damage of 145. So basically I dodge and shoot soul arrows at it to whittle down the health. Then when he lands, do the strong attack with the catalyst constantly. I beat him after he landed the second time which is good since I didn't have enough flasks to survive a third wave of magic being shot at me. Those homing projectiles are basically a one hit kill if all of them hit me for the level I faced him at.

Protip: Just try to be as close to him as possible, it will make dodging the magic easier, except for when you can hide behind the wall. Cause if you are far on one end of the bridge and he is on the far end of the other, his slow homing projectiles will basically curve towards you and go down the narrow bridge, leaving very little room to dodge it.

SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rubberluffy
    It instakills you and when you revive you are at half health until you use a cure item. The cures are 3000 souls at the belltower with the gargoyles or 6000 by the shortcut to the sewers from Firelink. If you get cursed again while cursed already your life is halved again, so watch out for that.
    rubberluffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By rubberluffy
    @SuperfluousMoniker
    That's terrible.   What likes the use Curse the most and how can I avoid it?
    MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MiniPato

@rubberluffy said:

@SuperfluousMoniker: That's terrible. What likes the use Curse the most and how can I avoid it?

These frog lizard things in the sewers cough up a cloud which curses you. If you stay in the cloud too long, you get cursed. Try not to get surrounded by them, otherwise they are pretty easy.

SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rubberluffy

What Pato said. I'm not aware of any other monsters in the game that use it. I'm sure there's at least a couple though. Also, the only way to build curse resistance is by having Humanity, and people have been saying that firebombs are a good way to kill the frogs without getting too close and risking the curse.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.