Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

DSFix taken down due to DMCA complaint by Namco

• 72 results
    Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Apparently, it was a mistake - it came from their German office and was a result of them trying to curb the debug version of Dark Souls that was leaked.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

@ghostiet said:

Apparently, it was a mistake - it came from their German office and was a result of them trying to curb the debug version of Dark Souls that was leaked.

Of course it was a mistake, but that never stops people jumping the gun and claiming Namco are a bunch of scumbags who can't do their jobs properly and they won't buy their games any more. Sad really.

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By Giant_Gamer

@ghostiet: But still, is there a law against the debug patch?

@alexw00d: Well, they didn't do their job properly the first time! and most if not all their ports have/had problems. Right now I'm playing Naruto ultimate ninja storm 3 and it is a frames mess!

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@alexw00d: are you claming they did their job properly with releasing a broken game and banning a fan made fix in their persuit of pirates?

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rethla said:

@alexw00d: are you claming they did their job properly with releasing a broken game and banning a fan made fix in their persuit of pirates?

What I am saying is people should wait to see the whole picture. Nothing more, nothing less.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#56  Edited By GaspoweR

Wow, that is really shitty. I'm reeeeeally baffled by how bad Namco is handling this.

Orexis97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexw00d said:

@ghostiet said:

Of course it was a mistake, but that never stops people jumping the gun and claiming Namco are a bunch of scumbags who can't do their jobs properly and they won't buy their games any more. Sad really.

Well, with the way this community has been trending are you honestly surprised?

Also,

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=144500932&postcount=740

Oh look, it's officially a mistake. Who would have thought?

Wolfgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@orexis97 said:
    @alexw00d said:

@ghostiet said:

Well, with the way this community has been trending are you honestly surprised?

Also,

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=144500932&postcount=740

Oh look, it's officially a mistake. Who would have thought?

I'm just glad this got worked out and wasn't with any malicious intent from namco/bandai. Sometimes these things are just an unfortunate series of human errors that will sort themselves out.

UncleBenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#59  Edited By UncleBenny

Also, somebody tell everyone to stop sending out death threats whenever something doesn't seem like it's going their way. death threats are dumb. that makes you dumb if you send out death threats.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@do_the_manta_ray: Hey whatever works for them, they aren't getting a third DS2 purchase from me regardless.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's pretty shitty, but it's not the first occurrence of this happening. Whether we like it or not, modding a game in any fashion is not under our ownership. Anyone, and anybody, can take that away from you if what you are extending upon is under their ownership.

It really does suck, but maybe people will think twice next time before doing another person's/developer's work for free? That's what I feel the people that crafted the modding api/structuring for Minecraft must feel like now after Mojang swept it up.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By TrafalgarLaw

Well the culture of users fixing problems with buggy ports on PC is part of the problem. Developers and publishers are just fine with shoveling out their game relying on users to fix the problems. At some point, you have to make a stand and not fix shoddy ports or better yet, not buy them in the first place.

Do not condone or support the notion that YOU have do the developers' job. The DSfix was not even acknowlegded or incoorporated into a official patch. Now that's bullocks.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#63 fisk0  Moderator

I wonder how DSfix would cooperate with the new Steam version of Dark Souls in either case. I assume the switch to Steamworks also includes using VAC, and VAC looks exactly for the kind of stuff that DSfix does.

Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

@fisk0 said:

I wonder how DSfix would cooperate with the new Steam version of Dark Souls in either case. I assume the switch to Steamworks also includes using VAC, and VAC looks exactly for the kind of stuff that DSfix does.

DSFix (version 2.3 and later) works perfectly with the Steam version of Dark Souls. All of the features of DSFix, including framerate unlocking, are fully compatible. Dark Souls has never used VAC and still doesn't, even though it now uses Steamworks.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#65  Edited By cornbredx

Someone should probably edit the OP with the news that this was a mistake and Namco was not actually targeting this mod.

@fisk0: It works fine. Hopefully the switch to steamworks means it will cut down on the hackers, but I don't know. We'll see.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By development

@everettescott said:

@development said:

For those that don't know,

They released a patch last week that disabled GFWL functionality and enabled Steamworks functionality. I had been playing the game and wondered why I couldn't start it. Turns out this update was put out. I looked at the comments for the update and numerous other people were unable to play the game. I uninstalled DSFix, reinstalled Dark Souls, verified integrity, and still couldn't play the damn game. I still can't play it. Sucks, since it's probably my favorite game... ever.

I can only assume they think DSFix is not working well alongside their recent update and decided the nice thing to do is take down DSFix. I don't even... are they actually that clueless as to how fucking awful the game runs without DSFix? Even without GFWL, I have to imagine it still runs as shitty as it used to without DSFix, horrible resolution and all.

I'm pretty sure it's if you have the fps unlocked, i've heard. I don't and it runs fine with the fix.

That's a deal breaker for me. I might just go torrent it again. The only reason I'm playing it on PC is for mods and 60 fps.

edit: Just read here that it was indeed a mistake (I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on that, this one time). So nevermind... but I mean the game is still unplayable ('cause I'm keeping the framerate unlocked)... so I hope they can fix that.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@development: Why would you unlock the framerate? The game's physics and engine calculations are NOT calibrated for 60 fps. For example, durability is lost twice as fast in 60 fps. Hit-scan and fall damage are also waaayyy off in 60 fps. Dark Souls was never meant to be played in 60 fps due to the engine limitations. You can remove the limitation by force but it will only influence calculations in a bad way.

obcdexter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

I always play it 60fps on PC and it works like a charm. There are very few occasions where I need to turn it off to make a tricky jump, but, also thanks to DSfix, that's merely a button press.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@trafalgarlaw said:

@development: Why would you unlock the framerate? The game's physics and engine calculations are NOT calibrated for 60 fps. For example, durability is lost twice as fast in 60 fps. Hit-scan and fall damage are also waaayyy off in 60 fps. Dark Souls was never meant to be played in 60 fps due to the engine limitations. You can remove the limitation by force but it will only influence calculations in a bad way.

I remember hearing somewhere that keeping it at 59FPS is best, for some reason. Regardless, I played about 8 hours of Dark Souls at 60FPS and never experienced any issues. If I ever start experiencing serious issues I'll knock it down to 30 and play like that, it won't bother me too much.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

@fisk0 said:

At least before it was briefly take offline, it worked beautifully with th new Steam version once you tweaked it past the usual hang-ups. Haven't tried since this hiccup.

Glad to see this has been resolved! DSfix is absolutely essential to having a good DarkSouls PC experience

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By development

@believer258 said:

@trafalgarlaw said:

I remember hearing somewhere that keeping it at 59FPS is best, for some reason. Regardless, I played about 8 hours of Dark Souls at 60FPS and never experienced any issues. If I ever start experiencing serious issues I'll knock it down to 30 and play like that, it won't bother me too much.

I played like 200 hours with the framerate at 60 and only experienced one issue. You fall through the floor if you fast-slide down the ladder that leads to the 3 rats, near the red drake in the Undead Parish. Why would I play it like that? Come on, man. Makes me wonder if you (trafalgarlaw) ever experienced DS1 unlocked first-hand.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.