Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Dual wielding question

plop1920

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By plop1920

Hello guys,

So I've never played demon souls because I don't own a ps3, so I jumped right into dark souls without any experience.

I picked a thief, and so far everything has been going good, I'm just pass the tutorial where the giant bird picks you up. Anyway, so what are the benefits of dual wielding? Do I get any stat bonuses or something? It seems like my attacks only swing with one weapon at a time, and I'm mainly just using my mainhand attack. Can I parry while dual wielding? Is it just cosmetic??????

largo6661

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By largo6661

i@plop1920: it tends to be a bad idea because the negatives far outway the postives. For one no there is no stat bonus, its only the attacking blade that does the damage. Secondly blocking with a sword isnt a good strategy because you will take damage anyway and you cant block arrows, infact dual weilding makes blocking pointless as pretty much all bad guys will be able to break your guard and stagger you. If your just starting out go for a spear or a long sword and a small sheild which will allow you to keep your distance, which is a good idea for a non-armor class. hope that helps.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By TheHT

if you get a parrying dagger it's not so useless. well, at least in demon's souls.

plop1920

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By plop1920

Thanks for the replies. So other than just looking cool or making the game harder for yourself, there's no positives to dual wield over a dagger/shield as a thief?

largo6661

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By largo6661

@plop1920: not really man. You can parry with some blades but the timing is really precise and not all enemies can be parried. You should really focus on movement and dodging considering your class. If you want to make it harder give it a try but for your first run through its best to have your shield to fall back on.

plop1920

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By plop1920

@Largo6661: Alright, thanks again

Avatar image for runeseekermireille
    RuneseekerMireille

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First run through, at least until you learn the spawn patterns, use a shield. In Demon's Souls one of the best PvP setups was dual katanas, but I don't know how that will pan out in this game. Eventually, though, you should be able to play the game with no shield, but that's takes a bit of memorization and playing it safe first.

Questionable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Questionable

Just use DW for boss battles where block is useless anyway like when you have someone else to tank for you. DW deals more damage as burst than 2handing the same weapon.

LevelRouter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By LevelRouter

From my experience with demons' souls you can use your offhand weapon to inflict status effects such as poison (achieved via upgrade by mercury stone), or gain bonuses like increased damage when your health drops below 30% (morion blade).

VanillaPlant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By VanillaPlant

DW is good for PVP or if you are a total baller; otherwise, sword and board is generally the way to roll.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.