Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Dust off your DS1 copy its free on Games with Gold

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

I think it's time to jump back to Dark Souls 1 to welcome the new players with a nice "Well, what is it?" after their first invasion. Anyone else going to fire it up again?

While I'm at it how does the 360 treat a disk copy of the game vs a digital version of the game? Does it treat them as the same thing or two different versions? Can I download the digital version for free and keep my disk version safely put away? If the disc version is already installed on my 360 does it overwrite that with the digital version?

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Dark Souls.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By bigjeffrey

I downloaded it and played it for like 10 minutes. Never played a souls game before.

@mooseymcman said:

Dark Souls.

Yay on 10000 post??!!

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I downloaded it and played it for like 10 minutes. Never played a souls game before.

@mooseymcman said:

Dark Souls.

Yay on 10000 post??!!

Thanks! now I'm never going to post again to preserve my lovely 10,000...

Shit.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dark Souls.

Best 10k post possible, methinks.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@bigjeffrey said:

@mooseymcman said:

Dark Souls.

Yay on 10000 post??!!

Thanks! now I'm never going to post again to preserve my lovely 10,000...

Shit.

I said the same thing when I reached 11111 but then I accidentally posted in that fucking Star Wars VII cast thread and didn't realize what I had done until afterwards. Now I'm just waiting for 12345 and then I'll stop!

...probably not, but still.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Has anyone downloaded the game that already owns the disk copy? How does Microsoft deal with digital vs disk copies of the game being on the same system? Are they treated as separate games? How about the DLC that's connected to the disk copy? Does that automatically connect to the digital version of Dark Souls?

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@golguin said:

Has anyone downloaded the game that already owns the disk copy? How does Microsoft deal with digital vs disk copies of the game being on the same system? Are they treated as separate games? How about the DLC that's connected to the disk copy? Does that automatically connect to the digital version of Dark Souls?

They're treated as the same game, though if you have the disk copy installed to the HD, two copies will show up in your library. Disk games don't interact with your profile license at all; your DLC and the GoD copy do, however, but the DLC will integrate properly with both a disk and a GoD copy.

DougQuaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@golguin:

The digital and disk versions are treated as the same thing.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

What is it!?

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Sony gave PS+ users the best Souls game in April 2013, and are giving them Dragon's Crown this month.

Nintendo is dead.

I'll download this even though I own it on all three platforms already lol.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

You monster

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#13  Edited By Humanity

@fattony12000 said:

Sony gave PS+ users the best Souls game in April 2013, and are giving them Dragon's Crown this month.

Nintendo is dead.

I'll download this even though I own it on all three platforms already lol.

What is even more exciting is that Street Fighter 4 they're giving away this month.

Edit: I agree that it's a cryin' shame that 360 owners have to settle for second best (well technically third best since DS2 fixed DS1)

RawknRo11a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

Apparently there is a weird issue with the digital version where it won't pull updates, so if you have saves from the disk version it won't see them. It also won't see the DLC...

Not sure but this probably means until the issue is fixed the people using the digital version and people with the disk version won't be able to interact.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Once I beat DS2 I'd love to jump back in and play new game +.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By geirr

@shagge said:

@mooseymcman said:

Dark Souls.

Best 10k post possible, methinks.

Wow, yes. Congrats!

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Apparently there is a weird issue with the digital version where it won't pull updates, so if you have saves from the disk version it won't see them. It also won't see the DLC...

Not sure but this probably means until the issue is fixed the people using the digital version and people with the disk version won't be able to interact.

I did read that someone had an issue with the save file, which is why I made the topic. I guess I wont be downloading the free version, but I will mark it as bought.

groin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Looks like it time to 1 shot new players with great combustion in the burg.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I've never played a Dark Souls game, but was curious because of the hype and how everybody talks about it's difficulty. I downloaded it during Games with Gold and fired it up for the first time recently.

The only challenge I've had so far is dealing with the awful frame rate and the story set-up that has to do nothing with my character so far (I'm still very early in the game). Plus, a few elements' (humanity, certains items, etc.) uses and benefits aren't explained very well, so I had to read a bit about them on a DS wiki.

I'll stick with it because I'm sure it'll get better as I get deeper into it.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

@bonorbitz: The hardest part of Dark Souls is definitely the beginning of the game. Once you've gotten a feel for how your character moves and you've decided on a weapon type that feels best, the rest of the game becomes totally doable. As for the framerate, it only really gets terrible in Blighttown.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.