Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Faith/Miralcles or Magic/Intelligence

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
    buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By buttersdaman000

Which is better?

I started out as a wanderer so my Int. is 11 and my Faith is 8 but I dont mind leveling up the lower one if its the all around better route

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Spoonman671

Well faith is generally more focused on healing and defensive spells.  Sorcery is more about Soul Arrows and stealth spells.  There's some overlap though--for example, there is the Lightning Spear miracle and the Magic Shield sorcery--so no matter which path you choose to focus on there will be some flexibility.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By MezZa

Neither is better. It's two totally different play styles.

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By buttersdaman000

@MentalDisruption:

So Faith is defensive and Magic is offensive?

@Spoonman671 said:

Well faith is generally more focused on healing and defensive spells. Sorcery is more about Soul Arrows and stealth spells. There's some overlap though--for example, there is the Lightning Spear miracle and the Magic Shield sorcery--so no matter which path you choose to focus on there will be some flexibility.

Hmmm ok

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By LordXavierBritish

Miracles are almost all support spells unless you pursue covenant rewards while Magic is mostly focused on offense with a few utility spells. 

Generally if you want more survivability take Miracles, if you want more firepower take Magic.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MezZa

@buttersdaman000 said:

@MentalDisruption:

So Faith is defensive and Magic is offensive?

Not necessarily. Faith is a better compliment to someone who also wants to have a melee presence whereas magic is more of a glass cannon style that makes up for a lack of a melee by having powerful offensive spells (unless you go pyromancer, but that's a hybrid style). Faith lacks the major offensive spells until later on and tends to be more of a complement to a melee style. Faith starts out mostly defensive, but with the right spells you can change that.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Spoonman671

You should also consider how you plan on upgrading your weapon before deciding which magic type to concentrate on.  Read up about Divine/Occult (faith-based) vs Magic/Enchanted (intelligence-based) weapons.  You'll want these two things to coincide so that when you level up a stat it will improve both your weapon and your magic.

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By McShank

There are weapons that need both faith / intel to be used properly which is the only reason I would see to level both up seeing as some spells require 40 of one but there is also items that will be used for lets say sorc but instead scale with faith while there is an item used for miracles that will be be used to scale with intel but it will still require you to have the needed of the stat to get the spells. It is dark Souls way of letting you have a little of both.

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By buttersdaman000

Hmmm I think im gonna go with magic while still focusing on a melee character

If I had known about this earlier I would have gone with faith, but now after thinking about it, I really dont want to grind 3 levels just to get my faith even with my magic.........

LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buttersdaman000: If you want to focus mainly on melee I'd go Pyromancer.

It doesn't scale with any stat so anyone can use it, the only thing you need to do is dump a few souls nto your glove.
    buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By buttersdaman000

@LordXavierBritish:

Yeah I might do that.....

I would spend less souls right?

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By envane

@McShank: these cross stat casting weapons are pretty terrible .. for example the dark moon catalyst , still used for casting sorceries but uses yoru faith instead , as far as i can see there is no talisman of beasts ( could cast both orceries and miracles and was focused on even int/faith distribution) so i dotn really see mixing both to be viable , unless you dotn mind switching casting tools alot or are just using the spells for utilty and not trying to get maximum power out of them.

i played a sorcerer and definately the last few spells (white dragons breath , crystal soul spear and homing crystal soulmass) do amazing damage .. , i couldnt go without good defese and weapons though so next character im gonna try a faith based build .. definately need sunlight spear and lightning spear , and going to try wilding ornsteins spear as it has B scaling for faith as well as dex.

LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buttersdaman000: The idea isn't to spend less souls, but less stat points.

You can always get more souls, but stat points become harder and harder to accrue the more you level.

Technically you can get every stat to 99 at some point, but the amount of souls you would need to do that is nearly impossible to obtain.
    xxizzypop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14  Edited By xxizzypop

If you're going for a melee character, I'd really focus on faith. The ability to heal yourself is pretty cool, plus it'd be nice to bust out the spell where you repel enemies in Anor Londo. Like on those bastard archers.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.