Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Hey, any Q's about Dark Souls?

• 75 results
    rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Edited By rorie

So the guys from Namco Bandai dropped by to show off a bit of Dark Souls yesterday, and I'm not sure if the GB crew had any plans to do a Man, I Saw That with it (we couldn't get any direct feed, and the trailer they released wasn't super long). I sat in on the session, and got a good look at around half an hour of the game. This is...basically Demon's Souls II, for all intents and purposes. It looks the same and it acts pretty much exactly the same: the demo took place in a trap-filled tower that the Namco guy walked up, battling some crazy-looking reptilian enemies along the way. One of the new things that enemies can do is grapple you; there's a fun Mimic enemy that will pop out when you try to open it, and attempt to kick you and bite you. Occasionally it'll even grab you and throw you in its mouth; most of the enemies seemed to have these kind of grapple moves that you can't break out of, so you'll have to be extra careful this time around.

The major differences I saw:

• No more hub world. The entire world is apparently streaming this time around, with checkpoints/campfires scattered around that will let you heal up and save your game before wandering back out into the world. All enemies respawn when you hit a checkpoint, though, so you shouldn't expect to be able to cheese your way through the levels with them. NPCs are also apparently going to be scattered around the world, rather than in a central hub world. I asked about warping around between areas that you've visited, but I don't think the demoer knew the plan for that yet.
    • Crafting is now apparently extended to armor this time around. I asked about crystal lizards (my absolute least favorite part of Demon's Souls), but I think the guy was non-commital about his answer. At any rate, look forward to collecting more stones and upgrading your weapons along the way. 
    • Your character is no longer a ghost, but instead a new kind of undead that can resurrect himself as many times as he likes. The drawback? Eventually he'll go insane and become a kind of demon (I think; this part was a bit fuzzy). Your goal in the game is to escape this fate. It wasn't clear how resurrections work; you do lose all your souls when you die, and have one chance to return to the spot of your death to retrieve them, but you don't resurrect with half a health bar anymore. 
    • The color scheme is apparently going to be slightly more colorful, perhaps because you're no longer in a ghost world. It's by no means bright and cheery, but the character's armor was noticeably more colorful than the stuff I wore in Demon's Souls. But then again, those were the Binded Cross armor items which were pretty dank.
    No Caption Provided
    Apart from that, the game was essentially Demon's Souls II. The character the demo guy was playing was a sword/shield character, which was what I played in the first game, so it was interesting to see him block and attack like I used to. I'm trying to think of any other major differences, but none are coming to me based on what I say. Apparently World Tendency has been removed, so I guess there'll be less intentional suiciding. There will still be bloodstains and all the regular multiplayer/singleplayer mingling internet stuff from the first game, apparently.

It was difficult to get a gauge on the game's difficulty, since the demo character had 50 or 99 in all of the stat categories. The new grappling attacks look like they'll be rough for melee characters, but we'll have to wait and see how it all shakes out. If anyone has any questions,
    rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By rorie

So the guys from Namco Bandai dropped by to show off a bit of Dark Souls yesterday, and I'm not sure if the GB crew had any plans to do a Man, I Saw That with it (we couldn't get any direct feed, and the trailer they released wasn't super long). I sat in on the session, and got a good look at around half an hour of the game. This is...basically Demon's Souls II, for all intents and purposes. It looks the same and it acts pretty much exactly the same: the demo took place in a trap-filled tower that the Namco guy walked up, battling some crazy-looking reptilian enemies along the way. One of the new things that enemies can do is grapple you; there's a fun Mimic enemy that will pop out when you try to open it, and attempt to kick you and bite you. Occasionally it'll even grab you and throw you in its mouth; most of the enemies seemed to have these kind of grapple moves that you can't break out of, so you'll have to be extra careful this time around.

The major differences I saw:

• No more hub world. The entire world is apparently streaming this time around, with checkpoints/campfires scattered around that will let you heal up and save your game before wandering back out into the world. All enemies respawn when you hit a checkpoint, though, so you shouldn't expect to be able to cheese your way through the levels with them. NPCs are also apparently going to be scattered around the world, rather than in a central hub world. I asked about warping around between areas that you've visited, but I don't think the demoer knew the plan for that yet.
    • Crafting is now apparently extended to armor this time around. I asked about crystal lizards (my absolute least favorite part of Demon's Souls), but I think the guy was non-commital about his answer. At any rate, look forward to collecting more stones and upgrading your weapons along the way. 
    • Your character is no longer a ghost, but instead a new kind of undead that can resurrect himself as many times as he likes. The drawback? Eventually he'll go insane and become a kind of demon (I think; this part was a bit fuzzy). Your goal in the game is to escape this fate. It wasn't clear how resurrections work; you do lose all your souls when you die, and have one chance to return to the spot of your death to retrieve them, but you don't resurrect with half a health bar anymore. 
    • The color scheme is apparently going to be slightly more colorful, perhaps because you're no longer in a ghost world. It's by no means bright and cheery, but the character's armor was noticeably more colorful than the stuff I wore in Demon's Souls. But then again, those were the Binded Cross armor items which were pretty dank.
    No Caption Provided
    Apart from that, the game was essentially Demon's Souls II. The character the demo guy was playing was a sword/shield character, which was what I played in the first game, so it was interesting to see him block and attack like I used to. I'm trying to think of any other major differences, but none are coming to me based on what I say. Apparently World Tendency has been removed, so I guess there'll be less intentional suiciding. There will still be bloodstains and all the regular multiplayer/singleplayer mingling internet stuff from the first game, apparently.

It was difficult to get a gauge on the game's difficulty, since the demo character had 50 or 99 in all of the stat categories. The new grappling attacks look like they'll be rough for melee characters, but we'll have to wait and see how it all shakes out. If anyone has any questions,
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2  Edited By KaosAngel

Is it good?

bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By bhhawks78

Does every animation take so long it makes the combat feel almost as slow as an MMO.

Will dying be needlessly punishing taking away all your exp/$?
    lead_farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By lead_farmer

did you see any large monsters in game?

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#6  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Does it have hatred? Does it have puppies?

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By KaosAngel
    @bhhawks78: Man bhhawks78, way to ruin the momentum with questions.  Hah.
    Krixok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Krixok

Rorie, I will pay you $500 if you sneak me this game early. I NEED THE PAIN! It HURTS SO GOOOOD!

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By RE_Player1
    @bhhawks78
    Does every animation take so long it makes the combat feel almost as slow as an MMO.

Basically this is what I want to know.
    rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By rorie
    @bhhawks78: I wouldn't say needlessly punishing, but if you thought Demon's Souls was too hard, you're not going to want to play this. 
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#11  Edited By Yummylee

Honestly, you've just about answered everything I'd think to ask :P Well there's the targeting system, and more importantly did you see any targeted flying enemies, with the camera then spazzing out all over the place as was common when the creature would fly across? I loved close to everything about Demon's Souls, though the World Tendency (which is scrapped, thank the lord) and the sketchy targeting were some noticeable flaws that cheapened the game.

Oh and archery, how that's looking?.. OK, scratch that opening sentence to this post ;P

Depth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Depth

Are the areas big and explorable?

Game looks fucking rad by the way.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By RE_Player1

O I got a question. Are the mechanics so different that picking up Demon's Souls now will create bad habits? I don't want to buy it and play it a bunch only to have learn everything all over again. Basically will having knowledge of how to play Demon's Soul benefit me going in Dark Souls?

Avatar image for deactivated-59fb4bc479490
    deactivated-59fb4bc479490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any words on special edition stuff?  The last one has a very awesome manual and soundtrack with it, will this be getting the same treatment?

The first game had amazing level design, in terms of the look of each level, how it made the player react to the design of a level was nearly as important to the experience as the enemy placement and combat design.  Does that game have a similar feel?

I thought Dark souls was a ways off, is it seriously ready to be played or is the a pre-e3 demo?

Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Akrid

Sounds like all good news!

I'm glad that they were sensible enough to get rid of the broken and/or pointless elements they had before, namely world tendency and the health bar thing (Sooo... I have half my health, but that's somehow better then having all of it...?).

I have no questions.
    Chrisjp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Chrisjp

Any idea if the story is connected to Demon's Souls?
    rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By rorie
    @Cbouncerrun: I don't believe it is at all. 
    rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By rorie
    @Akrid: They didn't say anything at the preview, but this went up over at shacknews: 

http://www.shacknews.com/article/68419/dark-souls-pre-order-incentive
    rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By rorie
    @RE_Player92: Nope, it all looked pretty much the same from a gameplay perspective. Shield blocking, countering, roll dodging, etc. All looked pretty much identical. 
    deathbyyeti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By deathbyyeti

thank you for the write up rorie

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By rorie
    @Abyssfull: It looks like there's a new icon to indicate which enemy you're targeting, but that's about all I saw in terms of your questions. They didn't demonstrate any archery or magic, unfortunately. 
    rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By rorie
    @Depth: I think it's the same kind of thing as in the first game, where they're mostly linear, but they do have some side areas where you can find cool stuff. At least, that's what the guy said. The area we were showed did have a big watery pit at the bottom of it with a surprise mini-boss, though; he actually fell down there and was surprised by a pretty sizable bad guy. So it looks like there'll be some fun to be had by looking around. 
    PatVB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By PatVB

As someone who has never played Demon's Souls, will I be able to pick up this one or would I be better served by going through the first game?

thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By thehexeditor

Is the Boss of Bosses scared of the game's difficulty?

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By rorie
    @nabokovfan87: As for the other stuff, unfortunately we only saw one level. The trap castle we were in did have quite a bit of traps to it, though. We'll know more when we see more, I guess, but they did mention crystal forests and other, more varied areas of the world. 

The game's coming out in October, and they said there'll be fully playable stuff at E3. 
    xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

@bhhawks78: 

Butthurt?

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By rorie
    @thehexeditor: Let's just say I'm glad I'm not doing a game guide for it. 
    rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By rorie
    @pat4327: It looks pretty much the same, so I'd go ahead and get into Demon's Souls if you're at all interested in it. It's a 20 dollar game, and this is a very incremental upgrade from it, so you might as well get your feet wet now. 
    Depth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Depth
    @pat4327 said:
    " As someone who has never played Demon's Souls, will I be able to pick up this one or would I be better served by going through the first game? "
    You should definitely play the first game, after you have got the basics down the game is a lot of fun. It's not as hard as some people say, basically you just have to be patient and learn patterns.
    re4ctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By re4ctor

Did they do any analysis of the first game to see where people were dying a lot, and giving up? Are they trying to address that? 

I don't mind challenging games, but I don't like frustrating ones.
    rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By rorie
    @re4ctor:  Vinny asked them about what they did to address complaints about the first game, but the Namco guy essentially said that it was going to be tough again, and that most of the vocal fans who communicated with the developers seemed to enjoy the difficulty of it. So I wouldn't expect to see it much easier. 
    PatVB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By PatVB
    @Rorie: @Depth: Thanks, guys! Vinny's descriptions of it scared me away, but I think I'll see if I can pick it up tomorrow!
    thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By thehexeditor

The last game I played that was published by Namco Bandai was Ore no Imouto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake Ga Nai! Portable (My Little Sister Can't Be This Cute! Portable)

No Caption Provided
    This game is the polar opposite of that. Bring it on I say!
    TehJedicake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By TehJedicake

Came.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By benjaebe

No questions, but thanks for the write-up and answering others. Really looking forward to this game.

edgeward

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By edgeward

Will there be some option of any kind to respec your character?

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By rorie
    @Edgeward: They didn't mention any, but given the flexibility of the stat system, I would doubt it. 
    uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By uniform

Are the emotes back? My one gripe was the terrible emote system, so I'm hoping they tweaked it.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#39  Edited By CL60
    @bhhawks78 said:
    " Does every animation take so long it makes the combat feel almost as slow as an MMO.

"
    You know if you died you could run back to where you died and get all your souls back? 
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#40  Edited By Marz

Is there going to be a story to tell?  Demons Souls didn't seem to have one at all.

tarvis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By tarvis

Long time listener, first time caller.  Did the rep happen to mention whether or not there will be voice chat?  Nothing worse than getting speared because your coop buddy wasn't wearing a Thief's Ring or healing you when you were low health for Clever Rat's Ring and Morion Blade.

Crocio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Crocio

Did they improve the actual look of the characters?

Ashen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Ashen

Hey Matt, any idea on how they'll handle xbl silver users? I haven't checked out DS online because PSN is down (just started playing it like 3-4 days ago), but it seems that online interactivity is pretty core to the experience.

enemymouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#44  Edited By enemymouse

I'm curious as to whether your character's animation gives you more of a hint when you're about to walk off of a ledge - like stumbling or going off balance. Also, how are the swordplay physics compared to the first one?

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Rorie said:
    " @bhhawks78: I wouldn't say needlessly punishing, but if you thought Demon's Souls was too hard, you're not going to want to play this.  "
    Is it pretty much demons souls but multiplatform? *Please say yes I loved demons souls* 
    beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By beforet

I still have to play Demon's Souls.

Nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47  Edited By Nate
    @Ashen said:

" Hey Matt, any idea on how they'll handle xbl silver users? I haven't checked out DS online because PSN is down (just started playing it like 3-4 days ago), but it seems that online interactivity is pretty core to the experience. "

Check out this article on Kotaku -  http://kotaku.com/5800064/our-first-look-at-dark-soulsIt sounds like silver members will not get any online functionality (even bloodstains/tips hints).

@Rorie 
    Will it give instructions in the game? Or will this be like Demon's Souls in that I'll be lost without the wiki or other guides?  Any sense of a little more tutorial type stuff?
    rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By rorie
    @uniform: Dunno. They didn't show any. 
    rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By rorie
    @The_Laughing_Man: Pretty much, as far as I can tell. 
    rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By rorie
    @enemymouse: Swordplay physics looked about the same, down to the animations, but there are some charge-up magical attacks that you can do with two-handed weapons. It's a long-ass animation to be whipping out, but it looks powerful. There doesn't look to be any kind of ledge detection; you're either on or you're off, so be careful!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.