Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Humanity - or the reason why you might end up farming rats.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seppli

You need Humanity in Dark Souls. While being Hollow, you are being mechanically locked out of all functionalities and suffer from crippled reward mechanics (reduced droprate and no humanity gain from bosskills). Only the currently too restrictive 'White Soapstone' co-op mechanic is at the average Hollow's disposal, which I have not yet gotten to work for me in a time appropriate manner, because of its damn level-restriction.

• You can gain Humanity by beating Bosses while being alive (not Hollow).
    • Successful Invasion or killing an Invader (both only for non-Hollow players)
    • Loot of environmental corpses
    • By Co-op Bosskill as Hollow with the White Soapstone
    • Or by farmin' Rats (about 1 Humanity in 15 minutes with 300+ Loot-Skill at the Bonfire in the Depths)

I swam in Humanity at the beginning of the game. I always had humanity and always got more and I spent them freely on pimpin' Bonfires everywhere. Later I got the improved rite of kindling allowing to kindle a bonfire three times for a bonfire worth a whopping 20 estus flasks. That's when I started to run out of Humanity. I was pretty much Hollow most of yesterday's and today's gaming session. I killed at least 6 bosses today and I didn't get any Humanity, that's when I understood I need to be alive to earn humanity from bosskills.

For the first half of my Dark Souls experience, I thought Humanity was something to spend freely. Yesterday I hit rock bottom. No humanity left over. No steady humanity income. Broke and without hope for a humanity payin' job. That's when I turned to farmin' rats to get back on my feet. Thank you Dark Souls for this lesson in humility, though I am not humbled, but pissed! I don't get my fair reward for killing bosses because I'm hollow? GRRRRRR.... another awesome dick move (serious). Life's a bitch and then you die. Nobody captures that shit as accurately as you do!

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

So this was more or less your story of being a rapper. Hitting the top. Starting crack )Humanity) Then hitting rock bottom? 

DeBurgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By DeBurgo

Except the lesson here is that you just gotta save up the crack for a rainy day

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By jozzy

I have been hollow for at least 90 percent of the game 50 hours in. I will probably do better on my next char :)

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By LordXavierBritish

In that respect humanity hasn't really changed much from Demon's Souls's human form. The best way to get it is still either stealing it from other players or helping other players.

It is still a fickle resource and extremely delicate, you should only use it when you have a lot on your counter or you really need help.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Seppli

@DeBurgo said:

Except the lesson here is that you just gotta save up the crack for a rainy day

Or farmin' rats at ye old grindstone is good for your humanity.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By shirogane

Why you'd ever need more than 10 estuses i have no idea.

I spent my 30 humanity on the Darkwraith covenant to get their items. That armor is totally worth it.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @Seppli
    How do you do the improved kindling?
    I remember having seen that option at some point, but now I can't find it.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Seppli

@Tennmuerti said:

@Seppli: How do you do the improved kindling? I remember having seen that option at some point, but now I can't find it.

Beat the mask boss in catacombs. Unlocks ability to 'kindle' more than once. Just kindle up to 3 times for 20 flasks.

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By ImperiousRix

I was Human for a solid chunk of my first 6 hours or so, but I just recently lost 3 Humanity to the Capra Demon, and have gone back to my protective nature, not wanting to use any Humanity.

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

@Seppli: Couldn't you just buy humanity from the lady in the tunnel from Firelink to Undead Burg? 5000 souls a pop, and we all know where one can obtain 6000 souls in about a minute... Unless she sells a limited supply or something.
    McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By McShank

@Seppli: there is a ring that you can get that gives you 300 loot discovery which results in finding humanity alot easier when farming for them / anything else. This saved me alot when i had lost 20+ humanity and a ton of souls thanks to a black phantom constantly invading me as i was trying to summon people for a boss :( Also, you can get higher then 300 if you start stacking humanity atop this ring and find even more things.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Jeffsekai

There is a much better spot to farm, right before you fight Nito there is a room where infinite mini skeletons spawn and they drop humanity at a crazy high rate. I fought in the room for maybe 5 mins and got 7-10 humanity.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#14  Edited By gla55jAw

@SuperfluousMoniker said:

@Seppli: Couldn't you just buy humanity from the lady in the tunnel from Firelink to Undead Burg? 5000 souls a pop, and we all know where one can obtain 6000 souls in about a minute... Unless she sells a limited supply or something.

I think she only has 1.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @Seppli said:

@Tennmuerti said:

@Seppli: How do you do the improved kindling? I remember having seen that option at some point, but now I can't find it.

Beat the mask boss in catacombs. Unlocks ability to 'kindle' more than once. Just kindle up to 3 times for 20 flasks.

thanks 

@gla55jAw said:

I think she only has 1.

yep only 1
    myalt22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By myalt22

@jozzy: Same here, I have been ridiculously conservative with my Humanity. I don't even use it for bosses.

Vashyron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Vashyron

@Tennmuerti said:

@gla55jAw said:

I think she only has 1.

yep only 1

Lame. There goes that notion down the drain.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.