Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

"I [finally] did it!"

Carlos1408

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Carlos1408

Praise the Sun everyone! \±/

I have finally S ranked Dark Souls, on my fourth (completed) play-through. Today I got the final achievement (Knight's Honor) and then "The Dark Soul" Achievemnt popped up. Man what a ride, now I really can't wait for Dark Souls II. When I get back home for Christmas I'll be able to play on my brothers PS3, think I might replay Demon's Souls while I wait.

So anyone else going to replay Demon's Souls whilst they wait for Dark Souls II? I've heard the game has had a bit of a revival online lately. Well anyways, I hope to see you all online on Demon's Souls or Dark Souls II in the coming months (might still keep PVPing on Dark Souls as well haha).

But for now "I will stay behind, to gaze at the sun. The sun is a wondrous body. Like a magnificent father! If only I could be so grossly incandescent!" \±/

P.S.: If anyone is curious this character is a strength and faith build. Do ask if you want details. ;)

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Completed the game once and yeah I will probably boot it up with a new character somewhere around December/January.

Cyrus_Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Congrats! I was in the process of playing through Dark Souls again until my Playstation decided to crap out and flash the YLOD.

Carlos1408

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Carlos1408

@ravelle: @cyrus_saren: Oh man that sucks, if it's any consolation throughout this generation I've gone through about three or four Xboxs due to RRoD.

Edit: It's also totally worth playing through the game again with a different build, a whole new experience. If you guys get a chance too the DLC is awesome. :)

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By c_rakestraw

Nice work!

I've been swapping between Demon's and Dark Souls (mostly the latter, though) while I wait for Dark Souls 2. Probably played those two games more than any other this year. They're so good. Surprised I haven't gotten bored of them yet.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By audiosnow

I S-ranked DkS a few months ago and promptly bought Demon's Souls. The community seems pretty active still, though I found it very difficult to adapt to the lack of improvements that Dark Souls brought in, and left it shortly after starting. I need to take some time and get invested.

EDIT: By all this I mean, congratulations!

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ravelle: @cyrus_saren: Oh man that sucks, if it's any consolation throughout this generation I've gone through about three or four Xboxs due to RRoD.

It's also totally worth playing through the game again with a different build, a whole new experience. :)

Most definitely but the lack of new items is disappointing, every item you find is the same you already have.

mpgeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm still trying to beat Four Kings on my first playthrough. Usually Im pretty decent at games but this game just owns me for some reason.

Carlos1408

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ravelle said:

@carlos1408 said:

It's also totally worth playing through the game again with a different build, a whole new experience. :)

Most definitely but the lack of new items is disappointing, every item you find is the same you already have.

If you've finished the game once there is bound to be a bunch of items you haven't found yet. Although there won't be many they tend to be the most exciting ones.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By audiosnow

@mpgeist: What kind of build do you have? The Four Kings are pretty rough no matter what one has, but I've managed to breeze through a few times through a combination of careful planning and blind luck. I might be able to suggest a strategy based on your play style.

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
    citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Congrats man, I just beat it for the first time a few days ago (mostly INT build) and felt really accomplished, S-ranking must have been a bitch.

Carlos1408

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mpgeist: What's your strategy been so far? If you have high enough faith I highly recommend Great Magic Barrier (you get it in one of the hollow trees in ash lake).

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By cornbredx

Ya I finished the game on PC a couple weeks ago. Thinking about playing through again but I have so many games in my back log I may not get back to it for a while.

@mpgeist : I beat four kings pretty easily. Supposedly he's the hardest boss in the game, but I disagree (for me Gwyn was way harder as well as the Abyss Walker). If you need tips, just ask =)

I don't want to spoil it for you if you're not alluding to that.

Carlos1408

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@citizencoffeecake: Cheers dude and congratulations to you too. To be honest I think the hardest part is completing the game for the first time. But yes, S-ranking it was hard although more time-consuming than actually challenging. Good thing is I know the game by heart now haha.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

@mpgeist: The key is to kill them as quickly as possible. Doesn't matter whether you're character's fast or not. Long as they deal strong damage consistently, then it's all a matter of staying alive, either through expert evasive maneuvers or loading up on poise and tanking hits. A shield with good magic defense (the Crest Shield, for instance) should help, since their spells are often their most powerful attacks. Great magic barrier is also an option should you be proficient in sorcery.

And if all else fails, there's always Iron Flesh.

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By redyoshi

Congrats. I was thinking of continuing to drop points into faith on my True Greatsword of Artorias build so I could finish up all the trophies with that character, since that sword is supposedly great at high levels. Since I got Demons Souls from PS+ a while back I'll also play that while picking away at the platinum. I feel like going through that game just using the fluted armor. That should all hold me until March, hopefully.

gatehouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By gatehouse

@carlos1408: Congrats duder, I really wish I'd planned on S ranking this game when I first started, I've just completed a NG+ and think I might have to go through at least once more to be able to get everything (all the miracles, spells and souls needed).

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Sinusoidal

Yeah, the online is super active these days. I played through the game for my first time starting a few weeks ago and just finished up this past weekend, and I had to a lot of it hollowed because every time I was human, I got my ass handed to me by somebody with a super-sick PvP build. I think my favorite were the two who had the circle-strafe lagstab so incredibly perfected that they were backstabbing me seemingly from across the room. Boy they were fun to fight! The first one even took the time to taunt me over and over after he cheesed my ass. At least the second one respectfully bowed after I went down from being repeatedly backstabbed in the side... What exactly is the strategy against this? Run away, take off your armor and start rolling?

To be fair, I did have a few more closer fights that were pretty awesome even when I lost.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.