Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

I killed the first merchant.. did he have anything useful?

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Grissefar

I guess my finger slipped, whatever he is dead now. Besides bow and arrow, which I don't care about, does he have anything useful or should I just truck on?

KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By KarlPilkington

Why are so many people accidentally killing the first merchant? Does he look dangerous?

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Grissefar
    @KarlPilkington said:

Why are so many people accidentally killing the first merchant? Does he look dangerous?

Thanks for the help. It's nice that you aren't a complete dick about it it.
    Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

You killed him, you tell us if he has anything usefull?

He does sell some basic equipment and projectiles, which is mainly why he's still alive in my game.

management

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By management

If you want Fire Bombs, Arrows, and the shard that makes you able to write stuff on the ground that's the only place you can get it, at least as far as I know.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By Humanity

I'm actually also curious why so many people are killing him.

Is it just messages on the ground saying "STRIKE!" or something?

KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By KarlPilkington

@Grissefar: Not being a dick, genuinely curious how it's happening so often.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Grissefar
    @Management said:

If you want Fire Bombs, Arrows, and the shard that makes you able to write stuff on the ground that's the only place you can get it, at least as far as I know.

Ok no problem then. I already got the write stuff stone from the sun guy in front of the dragon bridge, and I guess his uchitangara and humanity isn't too unuseful.

@KarlPilkington said:

@Grissefar: Not being a dick, genuinely curious how it's happening so often.

I can understand that I guess. Sometimes I wonder why people keep asking why people keep killing the NPCs too.
    sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#9  Edited By sammo21

Is he that squishy? What dmg did you do to him? Also, what did he drop and how many souls did you get off of him?

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Grissefar
    @Sammo21 said:
    Is he that squishy? What dmg did you do to him? Also, what did he drop and how many souls did you get off of him?
    Easy to kill, got key, uchi and humanity and a handful of souls.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Grissefar said:

@Management said:

Ok no problem then. I already got the write stuff stone from the sun guy in front of the dragon bridge, and I guess his uchitangara and humanity isn't too unuseful.

Pretty sure that's a completely different thing you got from the sun guy.

largo6661

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By largo6661

thats a pretty dumb thing to do, you want firebombs, arrows or repair items then you better hope the undead drop em. So yeah he's kind of important. hope that helps

t3h_d0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By t3h_d0n

Someone's mentioned the first merchant has the firebombs, and I've found them incredibly useful so far. Especially on some of the bosses. That merchant also died the first time I played as well. I was running from a couple of enemies and I ran them right into the merchant's room. I didn't know he was in there. The enemies proceeded to hack both the merchant and myself to death. It was early in my play-through, so I went ahead and made another character.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Grissefar
    @CrazyBagMan said:

@Grissefar said:

@Management said:

What does the merchant thing do then? The sun guy thing makes me write/rate messages.
    Daneian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

#15  Edited By Daneian

There was a really helpful note saying to kill him for me. Happily obliged. Missed out on a Bow and Bombs because of it.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@Grissefar said:
    @CrazyBagMan said:

@Grissefar said:

@Management said:

What does the merchant thing do then? The sun guy thing makes me write/rate messages.
    The sun guys gives you the summon stone, the merchant sells the write/rate thing.
    I know for sure since I just bought it off the guy after finishing the mecha boar. I thought it was a one use thing so I left it till I had spare souls.
    Thor_Molecules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Thor_Molecules

The only things I bought from him were the Orange Soapstone for writing and voting on messages, the residence key for opening doors in the lower areas of the Burg, a 100% physical resist heater shield which I have already replaced with something better, and a bow and tons of arrows, which I think is pretty damn useful.

I wouldn't want to miss out on the Orange Soapstone myself, but if you really got that same item from Solaire ( sun dude ) I guess the game just cut you some slack. Solaire gave me a White Soapstone for summoning other players, did he give you that one as well?

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Grissefar

You're right I guess the sun guy gave me summon stone, but he probably gave me soapstone too because there was a ton of messages around him and I wrote my first one there too.

Simtastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Simtastic

@Buckfitches: Sorry for going off topic but what shield did you replace the heater with?

Avatar image for deactivated-629eab11cc270
    deactivated-629eab11cc270

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I killed him earlier today and now that I'm stuck I completely regret it

Killboyy777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Killboyy777

i so regret killing him myself. There was a message on the floor, "try attacking".

I feel like it was a game breaker..

musclerider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By musclerider

He does drop the orange soapstone when you kill him. The Uchigatana is pretty rad if you don't get the Drake Sword.

I did the same thing on my first go-around but I also managed to kill Andre the blacksmith.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#23  Edited By jacksukeru

I guess since no one has mentioned it, I'll do. The guy also sells a thing that lets you repair your weapons and armor at a bonfire. It seems to be the only way to repair stuff in the beginning save for going down the elevator at Fire Link Shrine and finding the blacksmith in the area there. However, once you make it to the blacksmith seen in the quicklook you'll be able to buy a repair kit from him.

DeathTrap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DeathTrap

@Daneian said:

There was a really helpful note saying to kill him for me. Happily obliged. Missed out on a Bow and Bombs because of it.

Ouch. I really hate it when people put misleading or outright false notes...

dontsleep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By dontsleep

On top of that people are voting up the misleading notes. i found a jump off cliff rated 10 which killed me.

Questionable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Questionable

@Grissefar said:

@KarlPilkington said:

Thanks for the help. It's nice that you aren't a complete dick about it it.

The guy asked a genuine question and you responded like a dick, dick.

jk, jk dont shoot me!

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Turambar
    @Grissefar: He also sells the residence key, which you need to get access to the npc that teaches sorcery.  Both the next sorcery npc and arrow seller are both in Sen's Fortress, a long ways off.
    Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Turambar
    @getsomedrankHowardPhillips said:
    On top of that people are voting up the misleading notes. i found a jump off cliff rated 10 which killed me.
    Actually, the "rated" portion just means it has been rated 10 times.  You need the miracle "guidance" to see the actual +/- value of the note.  No, that is not a joke.  That miracle only has 5 uses too.
    McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By McShank

@Simtastic said:

@Buckfitches: Sorry for going off topic but what shield did you replace the heater with?

The Eagle Great Shield from Blighttown. I used the hearter until then but I had upgraded it to +4.. i also didn't make it to blighttown till i was SL 41.. so i had a decent amount of Strength already.

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By McShank

@Turambar said:

Actually, the "rated" portion just means it has been rated 10 times. You need the miracle "guidance" to see the actual +/- value of the note. No, that is not a joke. That miracle only has 5 uses too.

until you need to hit a bonfire to refill it. Alot of messages are complete wastes of time so you dont even need to know if they are good or bad as 90% of mine are "I did it" or "Praise the sun" which is complete utter uselessness.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@musclerider: So the Uchigatana isn't as good as the Drake Sword? How close is it and is it cheap to upgrade? I was a massive fan of katanas in the first game (and in real life).

musclerider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32  Edited By musclerider

@xobballox: You get it from the merchant when you kill him. I think the upgrade cost is the same as most regular weapons (Maybe like 9 titanite shards to get it to +5). I don't really know because I only had it on my other playthrough which is now long gone. 80 durability was kind of a killer for me though.

tl;dr: Powerful sword if you missed out on the Drake Sword.

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

I've noticed this too. I take all messages with a grain of salt because it seems that only assholes are voting things up. I've seen helpful messages but they're always at 0.
    fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#34  Edited By fattony12000

ALWAYS SWITCH TO YOUR BOW WHEN NEARING ANY FRIENDLY NPCS JESUS CHRIST FUCK.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b43dadb9061b
    deactivated-5b43dadb9061b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Which makes these games great.

Avatar image for generalmojo_786
    GeneralMojo_786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By GeneralMojo_786

lol i also killed him by accident, but it wasnt much of a big deal, im up to demon ruins now after the first boss, that merchant wasnt really a game changer, you will find many others on your way around dark souls, and thanks to the new update, the lady hollow just before the depths now sells arrows.

Bass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#37  Edited By Bass

@GeneralMojo_786: actually, just about any merchant sells arrows now. After you complete the early-game, this guy is more or less useless to you as a merchant. You shouldn't be spending too much time in the parish. After you have the residence key, orange soapstone and have found a merchant that sells arrows, you should kill him for the free uchigatana (only obtainable if you join the forest covenant otherwise), not to mention humanity and a few souls.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.