Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

I love this game <3

Rarari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Rarari

Hello everyone! Well since I've only got an 360, I have never played Demons's Souls. I read reviews and watched videos of it. It seemed like the perfect game for me, a dark fantasy RPG filled with deadly traps and evil, murderous creatures. What's not to like about that?

The difficulty.

Many reviews talked about Demon's Souls's difficulty, that it was the hardest game they've ever played etc. That scared me a bit. I hesitated about Dark Souls first, it was on the 360 so I could finally play a game that I would love, but the difficulty! I thought it would be like Ninja Gaiden 2, where I get slaughtered on the first screen when playing on any other difficulty than the easiest one but

when all other RPG's on the 360 (that I had played) seemed to lack something I was looking for in a game I had no chance. Games I played were lacking:

Challenge.

I had no chance, I took a deep breath and jumped off the cliff into the abyss.

When Dark Souls arrived to me, I clutched my controller in my hand and started a new game.

57 hours later, at the start of New Game+:

THIS GAME RULES! It's not at all as difficult as I thought it would be. Some common senseis all that's required for this game. I'm loving every bit of it!

Also the level design for places like Sen's Fortress and New Londo Ruins is just so awesome, Sen's Fortress is everything a deadly, trap-filled castle of slithering lizardmen should be. The creature designers also did a great job, those curse frog thingies are just so freaking unnerving. Those eyes stare straight into my soul! And don't get me started on the mimics and whatever the eye/tentacle/teeth creatures in Lost Izalith are supposed to be.

All in all: Dark Souls is the best RPG I've played on the 360. (My absolute favorite RPG ever is Final Fantasy 9, but that's another story.) We'll see if Skyrim can top it, but I doubt it.

This has been a long first post, thank you for reading it all. I just had to get it all out somewhere since my girlfriend isn't the least bit interested about my videogame ramblings :P

TL;DR:

Dark Souls is absolutely, positively 100% made of pure awesome(titanite).

Avatar image for deactivated-5d8bd173e1e3b
    deactivated-5d8bd173e1e3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have to agree 100%. I mean I just picked up this game 2 days ago, after watching nothing but videos for 2 weeks straight. Hearing "this game is hard" really put me off personally because as much as I enjoy a challenge I don't want to rage over the game either. Now yes i'm not even up to my second bell yet, however the game is really enjoyable. I kind of regret not picking this up on launch now.

LOCKETHETHIEF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By LOCKETHETHIEF

Yeah, I was sucked in from the start, and even after beating the game, I immediately jumped right back in. I rarely do that with games unless they captivate me thoroughly. I'm currently farming 2 millions souls so I can get STR to 50, End to 50 and the rest into VIT. I WANT TO USE HAVEL'S SHIELD!!!

ps. yeah, I calculated exactly how many more souls I would need to get from 69 to 109..I just can't get enough of this game.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By CptBedlam

Yep, not since Shadow of the Colossus was I sucked into a game this much. Everything about it fascinates me.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Xeiphyer
    @Rarari: Welcome to the site!

Glad you are loving Dark Souls. These games really are unique, they just don't make em like this anymore =P
    StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By StrikeALight

I love this game, but my interest has waned a little bit. Probably due to not having much time to play at the moment, but I definitely remember feeling more obsessed with DeS. I think (or at least hope) they'll both stand the test of time.

@CptBedlam said:

Yep, not since Shadow of the Colossus was I sucked into a game this much. Everything about it fascinates me.

Yeah, same. For me, it probably has to do with the lack of compromise regarding the vision of the game developers.

Rheinmetall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Rheinmetall

I couldn't agree more. I have not played any game like this before, and I'm an old gamer. Perhaps you might consider getting a PS3 console. For Demon's Souls and other good games.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By McGhee

I agree and I don't know if I've ever seen a game take over the forums like Dark Souls has.

And welcome to the site.

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By McShank

All this love for such a hate filled, Death trap of a game brings a tear to my eye. Also, this was my 666th post :D Time to jump back into dark souls and see if i will die again!

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By EVO

I finally finished it earlier today. It took me 75 hours. And if Arkham City wasn't sitting on my shelf unplayed, I'd do it all over again.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By tim_the_corsair

What is it about this game that encourages all this collective circle-jerking?

Not bagging the game, but every second thread seems to be "I love Dark Souls" related.

sungahymn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By sungahymn

Good for you.

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By tekmojo

I was watching this earlier great 3 on take from one guy super interested in it, one guy intrigued, and the other just wasn't for him.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Agreed.

I like the difficulty most.
    People often yell that something is hard when its just different from most modern games really.
    That's why I love the hell out of games like Monster Hunter and Dark Souls, they're more logic and skill then most and that's what keeps me hooked.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MezZa

Agreed this game is something else compared to what's on the market today. I'm loving every minute of it. Even when I'm pulling my hair in frustration. Welcome to the site by the way, good first post.

Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Mmmslash

Finally picking this up today.

As a pretty hardcore Monster Hunter fan, I couldn't be more excited. As soon as I saw there was tail-cutting for phat loot, I was way in.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.