Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Is it worth me putting more points in DEX?

Simtastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Simtastic

Currently SL 56 and I have 34 points in DEX. Just wondering if it's worth putting anymore in as both weapons I use (Fire Iaito and Lightning Spear) don't scale to my stats.

Will having a high DEX help out in NG+ where weapons with scaling will actually be worth using?

StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By StrikeALight

As far as I know, the only weapon that might be worth upgrading dex for is the fury sword. I don't have access to Ando Londor yet, but that's the weapon I'll primarily be using mid-late game.

freddie_bert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#3  Edited By freddie_bert

It depends which weapons you want to use. There's a few weapons that scale with Dex and those weapons are generally seen as some of the best in the game, especially in pvp cases. Personally, I got my Strength up to 40 so I could wield most of anything and two hand whatever else, I don't mind not using Havel's shield cause there are other great shields out there. I then started just putting points into Dex because not only does it contribute to weapon scaling, but it also raises your Right-hand weapon strength, unlike strength.

Tenryu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Tenryu

Unfortunately no, there's barely anything worthwhile to even get dex into the low 20s with :( The main reason for this is the fact that converting a weapon into an elemental type like lightning or fire does drastically more damage than most scaling weapon types. The only time scaling catches up, if it ever does since most scaling weapons for dex only go to be is... yeah really not till you're in the 80s, 90s for a stat. Even the S scaling bow the Pharis Black Bow is weak sauce for damage, it just doesn't do enough.

This may change in the 1.04 patch when it comes out someday, but as of now dex is a second class stat relegated to just pumping for requirements. Can it be made useful? Sorta, but you won't see it like I said till very high end into the life of your character, and if you're investing that many points into your character you can make them more effective by spreading those levels into other more viable stat alternatives.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Xeiphyer

Currently, not really. Scaling Weapons aren't very good for a really long time, and the way stats contribute to their damage late game, they aren't much better than the static ones.

However, there's that patch coming down that is supposed to re-balance some stuff. So possibly once they nerf lightning weapons and shift some other stuff around it might be a lot more worthwhile like it should be.

Stahlbrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By Stahlbrand

I just started NG+ with my DEX main, she is something like SL80 and 46 DEX. I've got a few DEX-heavy weapons (furysword, winged spear+15, notched whip+14, life hunt sythe+3, black bow of pharis) and so far only the furysword comes close to the performance of my fire and lightning spears. After 40 points in DEX, added more points has made very little difference in damage.

heartlessomen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By heartlessomen

i'm just curious but i remember reading something a while ago that dex supposedly increased attack speed, has this been debunked?

VanillaPlant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By VanillaPlant

@heartlessomen said:

i'm just curious but i remember reading something a while ago that dex supposedly increased attack speed, has this been debunked?

Yup, there is little reason to raise dex or str once you meet the requirements for your gear. Its generally better just to dump those points into vitality or endurance.

heartlessomen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By heartlessomen

@VanillaPlant said:

@heartlessomen said:

Yup, there is little reason to raise dex or str once you meet the requirements for your gear. Its generally better just to dump those points into vitality or endurance.

alright, good to know...that's too bad though, had originally thought to have had a high dex build of the first char that i had made in order to be super fast. thanks for the info!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.