Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Why is there no review yet??

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By gamefreak9

Am i missing something? are they trying all the classes or something, maybe i just can't find the review...

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By Dagbiker

mabey they arnt reviewing it.

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Lunar_Aura

If they don't have one by now then there's a good chance that they will not.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By benjaebe

Rorie posted his impressions 45 hours into the game, and it's a better review than most reviews are. I think they've made it pretty obvious that it's a great game, whether from playing it on various live shows and talking about it behind the scenes or on the Bombcast. At this point it doesn't really need a review.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By laserbolts

If there isn't one yet I would be surprised if there ever will be.

krummi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By krummi

I cannot decide whether I would read a review as maybe the biggest point in the game is the joy of discovery (to me atleast). Personally I think the important buying decision on Dark Souls is to know whether you can get around the controls that cannot be modified and if you are willing to be in the position where there might not be any guidance at all from the part of the developers.

And accept that the fact that the game could be a bit ruthless now and then. And.. And..

Shady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Shady

Because they suck at video games.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By Chummy8

There won't be a review.

Shady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Shady

Also, there aren't any real classes. You can change your mind at anytime, really.

Master_Funk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Master_Funk

I was getting the feeling that kessler was gonna review since hes finished it, but its been a while since that so probably not.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By Sambambo

I think their individual thoughts on the game are very clear at this point.

Avatar image for alwaysbeclothing
    alwaysbeclothing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By alwaysbeclothing

Rorie played a whole lot of it and decided that he still hadn't seen enough to write a definitive review. He posted his impressions here. If you need an arbitrary review score however, given from all of Whiskey's impressions I think the game would rate to a solid 4/5 stars. Given their enjoyment of it, and how unforgiving the system is. The game makes you feel both entirely powerless, and in later segments like a god. Assuming you have the patience to make it that far.

CosmicQueso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#13  Edited By CosmicQueso

Just picture in your mind a score, any score, and then you can be mad about it and post a blog on your reactions to the imagined score.

What the hell does it matter in mid-November what they think about a game that came out 6 weeks ago? They've quick looked it, bombcasted it ad nauseam, and there's a forum chock full of commentary. Then, go on ANY article or review and someone somewhere will have compared something about the game as being not as good as Dark Souls. There is so much Dark Souls words everywhere that it's more of an Outbreak than anything at this point. I'm waiting for Dustin Hoffman to break through wearing a protective mask and telling me to go kill monkeys from all the babbling that's gone on about Dark Souls for the past months.

We get it, Dark Souls is great, and everything else pales. Just go enjoy the game.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @TekZero said:

There won't be a review.

This 

But the full truth of the matter is that no one on the main GB staff really enjoys RPGs. Mass Effect and Skyrim they can get behind because (take this in the least elitist-dick-bag way possible) compared to the rest of the genre those games are light on the mechanics/tropes familiar to other games with a heavier focus on action which is what the GB crew enjoys more. Just look at how few full fledged RPGs get reviews on the site, even Dragon Age 2 didn't get one.
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MikkaQ

There won't be one. It's too late either way, people already know whether they want it or not, I don't think one website's opinion will change that. They've said the closest thing to a review is Rorie's impression article, which I found more informative that most reviews were anyway.

ds8k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ds8k

Do you really need a review of this game? To be honest, I think game reviews are an archaic device of the past. I'd rather see Quick Looks of games instead of the opinion of one person, and Giant Bomb does a fairly good job of Quick Looking the most important (and sometimes unimportant) games releasing.

If you're unsure about the game after the numerous live bits, the Quick Look, and the Bombcast conversations, then maybe the game is not for you.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By phantomzxro

@benjaebe said:

Rorie posted his impressions 45 hours into the game, and it's a better review than most reviews are. I think they've made it pretty obvious that it's a great game, whether from playing it on various live shows and talking about it behind the scenes or on the Bombcast. At this point it doesn't really need a review.

I would have to disagree on this, i think it is clear Giantbomb crew review the games that want to review and don't hold any kind of standard to review everything. Also i none of the review team if you will really cared for the game/ Only Rorie and Vinny seem to like it in any kind of way. Rorie did give his impressions but i don;t think he would review it. So if you want an official review you will have to look elsewhere.

Now i would not take an impression over a review but i do think it was nice to give it for people who only follow giantbomb.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Afroman269

4/5

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By iamjohn

@phantomzxro said:

Only Rorie and Vinny seem to like it in any kind of way.

Everyone on the staff has played it (plus Will and Rorie), you know, and Jeff is practically the only person who didn't enjoy it. I think the fact that they haven't reviewed it has more to do with what that game is (i.e., ridiculously long and based on a lot of trial and error) than their opinions on it (since they've, for the most part, been pretty positive on the game and multiple people on the staff have talked about wanting to have the time to get back to it).

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @iAmJohn: Like I mentioned up the page, it mostly comes down to the GB crew not really enjoying RPGs in general. It's not a bad thing since everyone has their own tastes and preferences, but I don't come to the GB crew to expect expert opinions and reviews for RPGs, there are better sites for that sort of stuff.
    phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By phantomzxro

@iAmJohn said:

@phantomzxro said:

Only Rorie and Vinny seem to like it in any kind of way.

Everyone on the staff has played it (plus Will and Rorie), you know, and Jeff is practically the only person who didn't enjoy it. I think the fact that they haven't reviewed it has more to do with what that game is (i.e., ridiculously long and based on a lot of trial and error) than their opinions on it (since they've, for the most part, been pretty positive on the game and multiple people on the staff have talked about wanting to have the time to get back to it).

while I see your point and the length may have some play into it i still think it is a matter of taste and only rorie and vinny have truly played it. I think everyone else has just checked it out for game of the year reasons, for when they have the debates. Most of the review staff don't care to review it or even play it with only Vinny and Rorie being the only people close to being able to give a review, i still don't think anyone has a passion to submit a review for the game (casually playing dark souls and grinding it out for a review are two different things). Skyrim is a very long game but i'm sure you will see a review for it. I feel only Vinny and rorie have any good things to say about it, with everyone else thinking their crazy for playing it. So i don't know about everyone enjoying it more like some understanding the appeal for it.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By McGhee

It's number 2 game of the year behind Skyrim. That's all one needs to know.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By buzz_clik

@gamefreak9 said:

Am i missing something? are they trying all the classes or something, maybe i just can't find the review...

Just curious, but do you already own/love the game? Also...

@laserbolts said:

If there isn't one yet I would be surprised if there ever will be.

and

@SuperSambo said:

I think their individual thoughts on the game are very clear at this point.

Avatar image for thehermaeusmora
    TheHermaeusMora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TheHermaeusMora

i know x play on g4 reviewed it, they gave it a 5 out of 5 which they dont do if the game doesnt deserve it (ex. cod?)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.