Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Why is this?

• 55 results
    Bassario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Bassario

Everybody who invades me is decked out in really fancy armor and weapons, its starting to get annoying, no matter how hard I fight they usually 2 shot me. I finally tried invading someone else to try and get some of my humanity back and sure enough this guy had armor that (and I checked) was definitely not available to me at the one vendor I am up to (in UNdead Burg) he was able to comfortably 2 shot my spirit, another guy I managed to get a full 2 handed claymore stab in the back on which nearly killed him so he just started running away constantly only stopping to fire some very fancy looking crossbow that looked like some dragon head.

Is this mechanic suposed to be unfair? I am assuming these ppl are on their 5th playthrough and much higher level, what is going on there?

Mijati

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Mijati

They have gear that's extremely good for PvP, they enjoy giving grief players like yourself who are just playing through the game normally. They know tricks to get certain items earlier than "normal" by going to areas that you wouldn't come across until later in the game when playing through the game for the first time.

The people you're fighting are similar levels to yo, they're just prepared for PvP more than you are.

phrali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By phrali

do not play pvp in this game if you are looking for a fair fight. Not going to happen

Bassario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Bassario

lol just a bit... just happened again this guy had some insane sword, worst of all I am in western Australia and my ping makes this 3 times more unbareable, I rolled about 2 and a half times that time before being rubber banded back to where apparently I was stabbed in the back. Pathetic, its actually ruining the game for me

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#5  Edited By jacksukeru

You will only get invaded by people in your level range, playthroughs have nothing to do with it, but people can stay at a low level and complete much of the game so practically all gear is available to everyone. If you are in the early areas but at a high level you are going to run into folks who are further in the game.

Also you don't really buy the best armor at vendors, you find it and, more importabntly, upgrade it to make it powerful.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Aetheldod

@Bassario: Well then dont play it online dude ... you know it is entirely optional right?

Mijati

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Mijati
    @Bassario said:

lol just a bit... just happened again this guy had some insane sword, worst of all I am in western Australia and my ping makes this 3 times more unbareable, I rolled about 2 and a half times that time before being rubber banded back to where apparently I was stabbed in the back. Pathetic, its actually ruining the game for me

If you're not human then you won't be invaded so if you want to avoid it just don't reverse hollow. There's very little reason to do so anyway.
    Bassario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Bassario

@Aetheldod said:

@Bassario: Well then dont play it online dude ... you know it is entirely optional right?

Yeah I just thought of that. Time wasting little douchebags cant get me if I unplug the cable, kinda really sad I have to resort to that and miss out on all the messages ppl leave to help out -_- on my second playthrough I wont even be able to get revenge coz Ill probably bump into poor newbie ppl trying to do it back to them. Really bad mechanic... so bad, a shame.

Bassario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Bassario

@Mijati said:

@Bassario said:

If you're not human then you won't be invaded so if you want to avoid it just don't reverse hollow. There's very little reason to do so anyway.

What is the "very little reason" to reverse hollow? I just do it coz I dont like being undead ^_^ makes me feel like I am playing the game right by saving up humanity, just so loosers with nothing better to do can come and cheap-steal it

Mijati

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Mijati
    @Bassario said:

@Aetheldod said:

Yeah I just thought of that. Time wasting little douchebags cant get me if I unplug the cable, kinda really sad I have to resort to that and miss out on all the messages ppl leave to help out -_- on my second playthrough I wont even be able to get revenge coz Ill probably bump into poor newbie ppl trying to do it back to them. Really bad mechanic... so bad, a shame.

How is it a bad mechanic? If you want the certain advantages of being human then you have to have some risks involved in it as well. If you're upset at this then Dark Souls is not the game for you. As I said, if you don't want to deal with it then don't reverse hollow and you'll be fine.
    HH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By HH

@Bassario said:

Really bad mechanic... so bad, a shame.

I agree. The same can be said for all gear-centred pvp. if you're not actively studying the shit you will lose most encounters.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Aetheldod

@Bassario: Well just you know you should choose wisely were to fight .... use the stage to your advantage , my finest PVP moment was when you are on the bridges in the catacombs and you need to activate them in order to pass through them .... I was able to fool a invading phantom into start crossing the bridge when I reactivated it , making him plunge into the dark abyss :D it was soooo gratifying , also were else will you get experience to fighint in PVP? But alas im a stubborn person and a masochist :P

Bassario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Bassario

@Mijati: oh its DEFINITELY the game for me, how is it a bad mechanic is explained above. Sad saps who have finished the game know where to go off and pick up armor and weapons to make them invincible vs what I have found, since I am learning the game. You honestly dont understand how messed up this is? and I would really enjoy a fun evenly matched pvp fight but it seems it is not going to happen.

Mijati

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Mijati
    @Bassario said:

@Mijati said:

@Bassario said:

What is the "very little reason" to reverse hollow? I just do it coz I dont like being undead ^_^ makes me feel like I am playing the game right by saving up humanity, just so loosers with nothing better to do can come and cheap-steal it

You can summon People/NPCs, you get slightly more resistances to curse I think it is and you can kindle bonfires. Those are the most obvious advantages of it and none of those are needed all of the time. If you come to a new bonfire you want to kindle you can reverse hollow, kindle it and then suicide somewhere close to get your souls back and become hollow once more. There's a couple more things it does but none of them are vital for the game and you're not losing anything by playing the game hollow.
    Bassario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Bassario

Now some wanker with hilarious MC hammer pants, a princess armidala from star wars hat and a katana that did electric damage, I got him enough times to kill me twice over, it did about half health, I ran out of stam and he did 2 basic attacks and its over, no one can call what you ppl are doing "pvp" its a pathetic waste of time for you and more importantly me, the internet cord is coming out I will miss the nice orange msgs from the decent ppl, oh well.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#16  Edited By Humanity

It's somewhat broken for the obvious reasons that people who get really good at the game and manage to enter areas when low level - retain their early levels and completely destroy newcomers who just wanna check out what this PVP is all about. In a perfect world when you're SL10 and you decide to invade or get invaded it would be by the same low level SL10 as you so both players have the same chances. Getting invaded by a SL10 who's actually put over 200 hours into the game and is looking to gank people is kind of broken. Some weapons or armor sets should have minimum SL limits I think but I guess that would take all the "fun" out of the game.

Gantrathor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By Gantrathor

Dark Souls is a game that is meant to push your patience to it's absolute limit (Took me over 100 hours to finish my first playthrough). The game is supposed to feel unfair (At first), which is why it's only for a very niche audience. The PvP is no exception, which is why you get such great rewards if you manage to kill the invader. Other players can only invade you when you're human and the boss in the area you're exploring is still alive, so don't use humanity unless you absolutely need it. And, as other posters have stated, only people around your level (I think the maximum level difference is 5) can invade you. But really, if you're having trouble with the PvP, you're probably not going to like the rest of the game. Though I encourage you to stick with it, because it's an amazing game, and not just because it's difficult. And if you play it enough, you will eventually get better at it. It's incredibly brutal, but that's the whole point. Just my two cents.

Bassario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Bassario

@Humanity said:

It's somewhat broken for the obvious reasons that people who get really good at the game and manage to enter areas when low level - retain their early levels and completely destroy newcomers who just wanna check out what this PVP is all about. In a perfect world when you're SL10 and you decide to invade or get invaded it would be by the same low level SL10 as you so both players have the same chances. Getting invaded by a SL10 who's actually put over 200 hours into the game and is looking to gank people is kind of broken. Some weapons or armor sets should have minimum SL limits I think but I guess that would take all the "fun" out of the game.

Haha "kind of" broken :P try in its entierity. You are right however, a minimum lvl requrement on armor would fix this I guess... only then for those of us who do get good at the game and who aren't complete dipshits we would miss out on the reward of getting a good item early, but I don't know... the stats already do that anyway, I managed to snag that insanely huge claymore off the second knight (the one in the parish) recently and I am a long way off 32 STR.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#19  Edited By Humanity

@Bassario: Actually I just though of a better and easier system. The game would just keep track of your online kills and match accordingly. A player with 100 confirmed invasion kills would never get matched with someone who has never invaded before. They could use 10 kill brackets and then double it. people with 10 kills or less get matched with one another, then 20 or less then 30, 50, 100 and so on. This way you can still have the free form gameplay on relying on your "skill" to get through bosses and wield better weapons but you don't have the straight up ganking that happens to newcomers that play online.

At this point if you're a new player you are forced to never go human because you're going to get completely fucked the moment you do and thats like losing out on an entire game mechanic because of how the community has approached the game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

When people start complaining about bad mechanics in the Souls series the franchise is dead.

Bassario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Bassario

@Humanity said:

At this point if you're a new player you are forced to never go human because you're going to get completely fucked the moment you do and thats like losing out on an entire game mechanic because of how the community has approached the game.

Exactly. I chose to instead play the game the way it was supposed to be played and simply turn off the internet and miss out on ppls orange notes and honestly it was a good decision, if anything not tripping over orange notes that say "imminent beanpole" or something similar every 5 steps has increased the immersion :)

phrali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By phrali

just play offline. The orange messages are always just dicks trying to trick you into suiciding by jumping off a ledge or something. You wont be missing anything.

Bassario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Bassario

@Irvandus said:

When people start complaining about bad mechanics in the Souls series the franchise is dead.

Why? People are complaining about bad mechanics in every game in existance, no game is perfect and in this case the pvp mechanic may be completely broken in that its not PVP at all, still it is probably much less filled with time wasting assholes at higher lvls but its not like the coop mechanic is any better and that is fine. Well its not fine actually... however the game is designed to be a single player game so what I meant to say is if the pvp is just a means for losers to troll new players, unplug the internet and enjoy the game, it is still a fantastic and challenging game.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By laserbolts

Just stay hollow I only used my humanity for healing when I played through the game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Bassario said:

@Irvandus said:

Why? People are complaining about bad mechanics in every game in existance, no game is perfect and in this case the pvp mechanic may be completely broken in that its not PVP at all, still it is probably much less filled with time wasting assholes at higher lvls but its not like the coop mechanic is any better and that is fine. Well its not fine actually... however the game is designed to be a single player game so what I meant to say is if the pvp is just a means for losers to troll new players, unplug the internet and enjoy the game, it is still a fantastic and challenging game.

It's a franchise built on bad mechanics that's why. Yeah it's challenging because you have to fight the controls and animations. Only half the challenge comes from the actual game play. Don't get me wrong I think it's great it just seems odd that people are complaining about stuff being broken. It's like cutting yourself on a broken plate when your the person that saw it was broken and picked it up. Actually that's not a good analogy but I'll leave it here anyway until I can think of a better one.

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Morbid_Coffee

PVP in Dark Souls isn't broken. If you're being invaded, you always have the advantage over the invader. For example:

1. The invader can never invade anybody lower than his own level, but there is no upper limit on who he can invade. So if I invaded somebody at level 10, I could be paired up with a brand new player that's easy to troll, or just as easily get paired up with a guy in his third playthrough at SL 180 who will punch my dick in.
    2. The invader can only fight alone unless you agree to use a red soap stone sign. And even then it's not guaranteed that the two invaders will work together. Going back a bit though, while the invader is by himself, you can summon two other players to come help you. 3v1 is very difficult to win, even by the best of players.
    3. The invader is forced to use spells or items to heal. You can use everything, including your estus flasks, which gives you an extra 5-20 heals.

Does it suck that you're being trolled by people who know the game inside and out? Yes. But there are ways to prevent that. Summon friends! Summon strangers! Play hollow! The game isn't forcing you to be human!

Bassario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Bassario

@Irvandus said:

@Bassario said:

@Irvandus said:

It's a franchise built on bad mechanics that's why. Yeah it's challenging because you have to fight the controls and animations. Only half the challenge comes from the actual game play. Don't get me wrong I think it's great it just seems odd that people are complaining about stuff being broken. It's like cutting yourself on a broken plate when your the person that saw it was broken and picked it up. Actually that's not a good analogy but I'll leave it here anyway until I can think of a better one.

yeah... no.. that is a bad analagy. No one is cutting themselves on anything by accident, people are just trying to enjoy a new game and dick-sockets are invading their world with gear 10 times superior for no reason other than to be a pathetic troll. To be fair! You are right, the mechanic isn't actually broken it is more the fact that this "mechanic" is relying on people using it correctly and not abusing the system and in my experience 7 out of 8 invaders were wankers who were there just to waste mine and their time there was one soul who clearly was in the same boat as me trying to try out something new but with that ratio it is completely not worth anyones time, and the ethernet cable gets unplugged. Still this is not the death of no franchise. The developers made a hell of a neat game end of story, the retards playing it just ruined the online functions that was a new thing and not well thought through is all, don't need the online for anything as it is, heck when I summoned a guy to help it was again one of those guys in uber gear with nothing better to do and he ran ahead and 2 shotted my boss... fun? no. not even close to fun. Go away time wasters. . .

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Morbid_Coffee

I'm one of those PVP dicks that enjoys the PVP mode in this game. There is one particular spot in Undead Burg that's a PVP hot spot, but that's mostly where a bunch of SL 120 players will fight, which you will never encounter in your first playthrough. If you're being invaded at a low soul level, those are the PVPers who get all butt hurt and rage over losing to the people who actually know how to PVP well. A majority of them are also hackers, which makes it more hilarious when they lose to us.

My recommendation? Stay hollow. If you want to try giving PVP a whirl again, try at around level 50-80 or 120. You'll find a lot nicer PVPers at that level range. Some of them might even give you items if they get paired with you more than once! I know I've done it a few times! Most of us around that area will also bow to you before a fight and let you cast any buffs before we actually engage. It's pretty fun!

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

When I got Demon's Souls late last year the same thing was happening to me on the next to last level. I just got the game and people who have had the game since it came out kept invading my world and it prevented me from progressing until I signed out. The weird thing is I haven't been invaded up until that point of the game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Bassario said:

@Irvandus said:

@Bassario said:

@Irvandus said:

yeah... no.. that is a bad analagy. No one is cutting themselves on anything by accident, people are just trying to enjoy a new game and dick-sockets are invading their world with gear 10 times superior for no reason other than to be a pathetic troll. To be fair! You are right, the mechanic isn't actually broken it is more the fact that this "mechanic" is relying on people using it correctly and not abusing the system and in my experience 7 out of 8 invaders were wankers who were there just to waste mine and their time there was one soul who clearly was in the same boat as me trying to try out something new but with that ratio it is completely not worth anyones time, and the ethernet cable gets unplugged. Still this is not the death of no franchise. The developers made a hell of a neat game end of story, the retards playing it just ruined the online functions that was a new thing and not well thought through is all, don't need the online for anything as it is, heck when I summoned a guy to help it was again one of those guys in uber gear with nothing better to do and he ran ahead and 2 shotted my boss... fun? no. not even close to fun. Go away time wasters. . .

Alright I meditated and figured this out. I agree with what you said, the plate analogy has more to do with the game being for masochists but that's kind of beside the point of this topic. I guess what I'm trying to say is when the developers of Dark Souls will never make a decision that doesn't screw over players. The pvp thing can't really be fixed but on the other hand I don't think the developers would want it to be. Dark Souls is a game made by evil people for evil people that common folk like us can occasionally enjoy.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#31  Edited By TobbRobb

@Morbid_Coffee: Know of any good spots to find people around lvl 60? I've been having fun with Fatboy and Slim, but I kinda want to get more into the PvP stuff. One Offline playthrough is enough single player. "I'm pretty sure that playthough made successful PvP possible though".

So far I've mostly been playing around with the forest covenant, that seems to be the easiest way to get into a fight.

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Morbid_Coffee

@TobbRobb: Darkroot Garden, Anor Londo, The Painted World, and the Kiln of the First Flame are all good spots where you'll almost always be able to find a PVP match. Just keep in mind that Darkroot Garden has a lot more PVPers just grinding away at the weaker forest covenant players for lols.

Around SL 60, in addition to the areas I mentioned before, I'd say either The Duke's Archives or Tomb of the Giants are pretty good for that level. I've never actually seen more than one or two people ever PVP in Lost Izalith, so it's not even worth trying there.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#33  Edited By TobbRobb

@Morbid_Coffee: I hate Lost Izalith with a passion, will spend as little time as possible down there.

I guess I'll screw around in the forest some more then. Not heading back to Londo until I feel like trying SnO.

Avatar image for imsorrymsjackson
    Imsorrymsjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Imsorrymsjackson

There are people chatting a lot of bullshit in this thread.

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Terramagi

Reminds me of PvPing in the Forest Covenent.

"Okay, Forest Bro! You and me, let's take this host DOWN!"

*walk to entrance to forest, host is in full Havel's and has summoned a Sunbro. ForestBro takes a bolt of lightning to the face and dies instantly*

"Oh good god! Wait, maybe..."

*bait the Havel flipper into falling off of the staircase, onto my head, and off the cliff*

*YOU HAVE BEEN INDICTED*

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By McShank

@Bassario said:

@Mijati said:

@Bassario said:

its called a strategy. This game is not for people who think 1 way of playing a game is the only way. there is no Cheap-ness in this game. It is easy to beat the game at SL 20-30 if you so wished. All it takes is the knowledge of how to play the game against each mob and the strength of one self on not upgrading your stats. It is a Major part of the game in the sense of PVP. Single player is only 50% of it and if your ping sucks then this is not entirely your cup o tea unless you can fix it. It is not a Bad mechanic for the game. It has always been this way and so far will stay this way. And if you just dont like playing as undead because it doesnt look good is your own fault and could easily stop 100% of your problems if you just dont unhollow

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Karkarov

@Bassario said:

Is this mechanic suposed to be unfair?

You have made a classic newbie to the Souls games mistake! You are assuming anything about this game or it's mechanics is anything other than decidedly unfair. The game is out to kill you, no really, it is not going to be fair, friendly, nice, or any of the above. If you are going to play online in body form and etc expect to always be outgunned, period. Most of the people you see invading are going to be veterans of the console versions with likely dozens of hours of experience pvp'ing, pre planned pvp designed specs, and gear setups built specifically for pvp. Pray you never meet one of the actual pro players. They won't even need good gear, they could come at you naked with a standard long sword and obliterate you because they are just that good.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#38  Edited By Fallen189

YOU HAVE BEEN INDICTED

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By monetarydread

@Bassario: Actually I just though of a better and easier system. The game would just keep track of your online kills and match accordingly. A player with 100 confirmed invasion kills would never get matched with someone who has never invaded before. They could use 10 kill brackets and then double it. people with 10 kills or less get matched with one another, then 20 or less then 30, 50, 100 and so on. This way you can still have the free form gameplay on relying on your "skill" to get through bosses and wield better weapons but you don't have the straight up ganking that happens to newcomers that play online.

All you have to do is look at Gears of War 2 as an example of why that mechanic doesn't work. Matchmaking based on kill to death ratios or win / loss ratios is easy to manipulate so the greifers have an easier time screwing over newbies.

Edit: It is easy because a new player can just start a new game, or a new profile and all of a sudden they are being thrown in with the newbies.

Ghost249

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Ghost249

@Bassario: You do know that you don't have to UNPLUG your internet cord... As several people have stated you can still play while HOLLOW (AKA zombified, ugly to look at, whatever you want to call it.) and still see Orange help messages as being HOLLOW does not involve the risk of being Invaded by people who either have the advantage in pvp, or muled, or BB glitched the game (Which THANK FROMSOFT that it will be patched in the upcoming DLC content for Consoles along with DWGR being nerfed.). The only thing your giving up on being HOLLOW is the ability to summon others to aid you in combat or boss clearing. Overall being HOLLOW will not affect your game experience as you will not have to deal with invaders.

Edit: Excuse my emphasis on certain words, and in all honesty, don't blame the game, enjoy it even if it seems unfair to you in most or more often occassions.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#41  Edited By benspyda

It balances out once you level up and gain access to all the available gear in the game. I advise not pvping until towards the end of your first play through.

mdnthrvst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#42  Edited By mdnthrvst
    No Caption Provided

Love, 4chan

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By xyzygy

I feel like sometimes the praise this game (and Demon's) gets for it's online is double-edged - it's great when it works, but when it doesn't it's just annoying and completely gets in the way.

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By envane

everyone whos invaded me so far has met an embarrasing end .. its like they dont expect ppl to have already played the game or something .. eheh

currently pissing off ppl in blighttown , they have to run so far to me from the invasion point , usually get poisoned on the way .. can pick them off with arrows and keep them stuck in the swamp if they dont have rusted iron ring .

id say every fight so far has been "fair " , but then again in musing a baller side sword , not exactly fair

Bassario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Bassario

@Ghost249 said:

@Bassario: You do know that you don't have to UNPLUG your internet cord... As several people have stated you can still play while HOLLOW (AKA zombified, ugly to look at, whatever you want to call it.) and still see Orange help messages as being HOLLOW does not involve the risk of being Invaded by people who either have the advantage in pvp, or muled, or BB glitched the game (Which THANK FROMSOFT that it will be patched in the upcoming DLC content for Consoles along with DWGR being nerfed.). The only thing your giving up on being HOLLOW is the ability to summon others to aid you in combat or boss clearing. Overall being HOLLOW will not affect your game experience as you will not have to deal with invaders.

Edit: Excuse my emphasis on certain words, and in all honesty, don't blame the game, enjoy it even if it seems unfair to you in most or more often occassions.

No. Just no. Not blaming the game, I love the game I am blaming the players who completely and deliberately ruin the experience of what could have been pvp for brand new players. The mechanic per say is not broken it is only broken in the sense that it lets them, there are no counter measures. Believe me out of the 7 or 8 idiots that invaded all but one were in full decked out gear yet keeping their level under 25 or so deliberately to troll and destroy new players running around in their chain mail. The one guy who was new like me, that was heaps of fun we took turns parrying and dodging and the fight took a while and the saddest thing was this was the first and only time, then I leveled about 10 times and the sad trolls just started dropping in constantly, stopping me from playing the game properly that is: NOT HOLLOW, and in human form and stacking humanity for passive bonuses such as item drops and feeling pretty good about myself moving slowly through the game and cheating death as often as possible on my first playthrough. Gonna start a new game completely offline without morons who want to waste time, and once I am lvl 80 or so and have fully experienced the game the cord can go back in and I can try my hand at some pvp, sadly I'm not sure if its even worth while, the delay for me in Western Australia is so miserable I can often roll multiple times before rubber banding back to where I was apparently hit, I can literally see someone perform a parry action, continue to hit through it and then be parried a second later from that animation, its really horrible.

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By envane

@Bassario: boo hoo , im in aus too .. get better net , will be looking forward to lagstabbing you at sl 80 ( probably alot more ppl to gank you at that lvl range )

unfortunately the burg is the place for cockblocking pvp fools , if youc an somehow progress past that then you will be able top play onlin safely for the most part , until blight town , or sens fort , of course anor londo will be filled with higher lvl pvpers , because thats what anor londo is :/ the SERIOUS pvpers will be heading for the new content and the new arena .. just cope with the trolls until they get bored ( will be the instant any arena pvp exploits are found )

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By TruthTellah

When I first saw the title, I thought someone just looked at Dark Souls and asked, "Why is this?"

A rather poignant question indeed.

Bassario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Bassario

@envane said:

@Bassario: boo hoo , im in aus too .. get better net , will be looking forward to lagstabbing you at sl 80 ( probably alot more ppl to gank you at that lvl range )

unfortunately the burg is the place for cockblocking pvp fools , if youc an somehow progress past that then you will be able top play onlin safely for the most part , until blight town , or sens fort , of course anor londo will be filled with higher lvl pvpers , because thats what anor londo is :/ the SERIOUS pvpers will be heading for the new content and the new arena .. just cope with the trolls until they get bored ( will be the instant any arena pvp exploits are found )

Hehehehe, get better net? Ok I will... if you give me $2000+ for bond and a few weeks rent in advance. I have adsl 2 and it means nothing just because my location in my suberb happens to apparently be as far as possible from the exchange so when I play online I have to deal with everyone else in the world getting to the server first and then I have to deal with everyone else at my location getting to the exchange first ^_^ it is FUCKING. MISERABLE. My close friend who works for an internet provider has basically explained to me that there is nothing I can do at all short of moving, and the girlfriend is studying and my car is falling apart and were planing a holiday to Japan so that's not happening anytime soon.

Bah realistically, I have dealt with this a hundred times before: I love pvp and have to come to terms that I can't do it coz I have the worst internet out of anyone in the world who lives in a city. At least I can look on the bright side here and note that it wouldnt matter how bad my web is anyway when a fully decked out lvl 19 troll invades me and my chain mail ass at this point in the game ^_^ ... Morons.

(off topic: have u tried Tribes Ascend? Its a very fast paced first person shooter with active Australian servers where even I can play on a ping of 80-100 :D It is the BEST damn thing as a result, if u like innovative FPS do not pass this up!)

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By envane

@Bassario: can sympathize with the distance from exchange .. used to have the same issue ... im super close to my exchange now (under 1.5k ) and get an average of a 17megabit stable connection and sometimes the full 20

ohwell hopefully the nbn wil hurry up and you can get one of those connections

dprotp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By dprotp

you realize you can stack humanity and still get the passive bonuses without becoming human right

i tend to run around with at least a couple loose humanity stacked

makes reverse hollowing for some jolly co-operation that much easier when the time arises. i tend to avoid pvp unless i go to darkroot garden to deliberately get invaded

also, people can transfer their great gear to a new character using a glitch with the bottomless box... at least in the console versions. not sure if it's present on PC

pvp at early levels is just hilarious because, unless you do some BB glitching, you're pretty much guaranteed to lose. it's why anyone who knows dark souls but isn't into pvp doesn't care about being human, in general, until later levels or co-op

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.