Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Wow I can't believe Kevin van Ord likes this even more

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Grissefar
    GameSpot review - 9.5

Since he gave Demon's Souls game of the year, I didn't expect him to like this one as much because of crazy expectations, but it's actually gotten a higher score than Demon's Souls! Now I just can't wait to play the heck out of this game and find out what kind of extra coverage Giant Bomb has on it this week. I really hope it involves Vinny.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I like how something can be the game of the year on those sites and still not get full marks. I love sites who think a review is an objective calculation of merits and not a recommendation based on merits.

Thor_Molecules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Thor_Molecules
    CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By CptBedlam

@Buckfitches said:

http://www.next-gen.biz/reviews/dark-souls-review

EDGE likes it too. Also, we have a review thread.

That Grissfar guy is just an ignorant idiot that apparently likes clogging up the forums with his useless threads (see his ign review thread where he ignored the review thread as well).

@Grissefar: For fucks sake... we don't need one of your threads every single time you stumble across a review!

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Grissefar
    @CptBedlam said:

@Buckfitches said:

That Grissfar guy is just an ignorant idiot that apparently likes clogging up the forums with his useless threads (see his ign review thread where he ignored the review thread as well).

@Grissefar: For fucks sake... we don't need one of your threads every single time you stumble across a review!

Stay positive, mahn.
    Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Klei
    @CptBedlam said:

@Buckfitches said:

Dude, seriously, go take your pills and go enjoy life. I think you need a bit of rainbows and such.
    Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Turambar

@CaLe said:

@Pr1mus said:

They made an hour and long quicklook, talked plenty about it on the bombcast and hinted that Matt Rorie was gonna make a review. Even of that doesn't happen its already got more coverage then most games...

You're right and that's completely fair. I just don't like how some of them write it off as not for them without even giving it a try.

That's just Ryan, and Ryan is kind of a douche, so it's expected.

Though to be fair, it's not just Dark Souls that gets the "I don't even need to try it to know I want nothing to do with it" treatment. No one other than Brad was willing to give Starcraft 2's multiplayer any time of day out of pure wussiness.

DeadlyVirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By DeadlyVirus

@Turambar said:

@CaLe said:

@Pr1mus said:

They made an hour and long quicklook, talked plenty about it on the bombcast and hinted that Matt Rorie was gonna make a review. Even of that doesn't happen its already got more coverage then most games...

You're right and that's completely fair. I just don't like how some of them write it off as not for them without even giving it a try.

Though to be fair, it's not just Dark Souls that gets the "I don't even need to try it to know I want nothing to do with it" treatment. No one other than Brad was willing to give Starcraft 2's multiplayer any time of day out of pure wussiness.

Yeah, kinda like Jeff and Uncharted...

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By bybeach

Wern't they covering more Dark souls this week, mentioned in I Love Mondays?

Avatar image for captaintightpants
    CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By mazik765

@Turambar said:

@CaLe said:

@Pr1mus said:

To be fair, you don't need to play a game to know it's not for you. I am never going to play any of the Gran Turismo games because I don't need to play it to know I won't enjoy it. Maybe the same is true for Ryan and hard core RPG's, or the majority of the crew and Korean e-sports.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Turambar

@mazik765 said:

@Turambar said:

@CaLe said:

@Pr1mus said:

To be fair, you don't need to play a game to know it's not for you. I am never going to play any of the Gran Turismo games because I don't need to play it to know I won't enjoy it. Maybe the same is true for Ryan and hard core RPG's, or the majority of the crew and Korean e-sports.

I'm harsh against Ryan because I just actually don't like Ryan. And I bring up Vinny's refusal to play SC2 because his reasoning was actually factually wrong. He held the belief that he would instantly be paired against people far better at the game than he, and that's what the placement matches help prevent. That said, Pr1mus is right in that however disagreeable their reasons are, their ability to be fully transparent about it is a good thing.

ds8k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ds8k

Hey, at least Ryan tried out League of Legends. I absolutely refused to play it because I thought I wouldn't like it. After being forced to play, uninstalling, then trying again, I'm now a month in and thoroughly enjoying it.

ludorverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ludorverr
    @ds8k said:

Hey, at least Ryan tried out League of Legends.

I was surprised Ryan actually tried Trackmania 2. Though it's a fairly easy game to try (familiar ground - cars), I thought Jeff would be the only person to ever say they liked the trackmania games. On the bombcast every time I heard them call the game "weird" (in an almost dismissive kind of way) I had a sad look on my face.

Yeah it always bothers me when Ryan and others are talking about a Souls game and are all "THIS GAME IS FOR MASOCHISTS NOT REAL HUMAN BEINGS". But I'm more bothered by their narrow-mindedness and refusal to TRY NEW THINGS. But then they start with the excuses of their jobs meaning they have no free time and such, which I suppose I can understand - barely.
    Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Turambar

@Anwar said:

@Turambar:

One thing which bothered me a lil' bit was the consensus of the discussion about Dark Souls(QL or Bombcast or both? Not sure anymore) that you have to be a teenager with a lot of time on your hand and you couldn't do that now as an adult in your free time. The fuck was that all about?

That's probably just their somewhat jaded game reviewer persona who in fact don't have the ability to dedicate a lot of time to a single game unlike other adults. Their misinterpretation of how hard and time consuming Demon's Souls was is also a factor.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By Afroman269

The game does look really cool but I no longer have the patience for that kind of game like I would have years ago.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By Winternet

Is this out of the GiantBomb Random Thread Generator? It looks like it.

trace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By trace

It looks like we already have an active thread over here. For the sake of condensing conversation, let's move all Dark Souls talk about reviews from other sites there. Thanks!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.