Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Darkness Assault

Game » consists of 0 releases. Released Feb 06, 2015

Darkness Assault is a survival horror game that has players controlling Katrine as she uncovers a dark conspiracy.

Quick Look: Darkness Assault - Abridged

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

Edited By eccentrix

The Game:

A survival horror game from Russia starring Katrine, who must uncover a dark conspiracy.

The Quick Look: Running time of 30:50, starring Vinny Caravella and Alex Navarro.

Vinny’s three things to consider about this game:

1. Making games is hard.

2. Learning a second language is hard.

3. This game is $2.

Vinny decides to show off the game in English initially, loading a save before exploring what appears to be some kind of hospital and using the protagonist’s unique animations to dance. He picks up bullets and batteries wherever he finds them lying around on bedside cabinets or next to communal toilets. This is accompanied by poorly-translated commentary from the main character, with voice over. (“Batteries in such a hole? Well, I’ll do find a use for them.”) Vinny puzzles over why the voice actor, who seems to know better, agreed to record such stilted sentences. There are also a couple of graphic novel-style cutscenes with similar language, but in-game documents that are not provided with audio seem to contain better translations. Alex has fun trying to translate these back into somewhat human speech.

Vinny continues in this fashion, exploring corridors and shooting the many resilient night guards in his path, as well as some zombies, until he accidentally finishes the game. He then sets the language to the native Russian and Loads His Last Save. Vinny remarks that the voice actor sounds more confident in this tongue and encourages commenters to offer their own translations.

Alex provided my favorite quote from this video: “Nature’s greatest obstacle: The already-opened door.” (25:50)

Onion-Pete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

You're doing gods work good sir

Renz0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is cool, these short summaries inform me if it's worth watching

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

It might be worth sticking a recommendation on the end of this as to whether it's worth watching and maybe who's in the QL and how long it is.

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ramone: I've told myself from the start that these aren't going to be reviews of the videos and I'm not even sure what criteria I would use to judge whether they are worth anybody else's time, but more meta-information is always helpful. Thanks for the feedback!

Haruko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

These are stupid but the whole website is dedicated to stuff like this keep up the good work.

cooljammer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Summaries in such a hole

Bucklebutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i like

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@cooljammer00 said:

Summaries in such a hole

Well, I'll do find a use for them

@eccentrix, have you considered adding a rating of how likely it is that something in the video will become a running joke/meme? For example, the Persona 4 ER video where Vinny casts Bufu would be a 20 out of 10, the Sunless Sea Quick Look would be a 0 out of 10, and Darkness Assault would be somewhere above 0.

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bisonhero: Besides meme popularity being kind of impossible to predict, I feel like so few Quick Looks provide running jokes that most videos would just have 0s, making the rating useless most of the time. I will continue mentioning quotes or events that might be referenced later so that people who encounter them elsewhere have some understanding of where they came from, but rating the videos' memeworthiness with a number seems less than useful.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

This is a cool idea! I like it.

AgedBlaine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't personally glean any benefit from these, but I'm sure somebody does, and that's cool. Thumbs up brother

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.