Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Darksiders

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 05, 2010

Developed by Vigil Games, Darksiders puts players in control of War, one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, as he attempts to find out who caused a premature Apocalypse while battling both Angels and Demons on a dead Earth.

Darksiders - First Impressions

ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

Edited By ttocs

No Caption Provided

Darksiders was a game that wasn't really on my radar until about 2-3 weeks ago.  While at work I was looking for some videos to watch while I ate my lunch and stumbled across some developer diaries and trailers on the game.  After seeing the Zelda meets God of War gameplay, I was immediately intrigued.  Two great game styles merged to form a game where you play as one of the four horseman of the freakin' apocalypse...premises just don't get better than that.  So, on January 5th, I headed to my local Best Buy, picked up the game, and began playing.  About 6-7 hours later, here are my initial impressions.

The reviews are correct, this is a game that relies heavily on Zelda like puzzles and means of travel.  The boomerang in Darksiders is used in almost the same way it is in Zelda and the puzzles just scream Zelda in every way.  The combat on the other hand is very God of War.  Instead of leveling up your character, you level up your
    No Caption Provided
    weapons kind of like you would in God of War.  The more you use it, the more powerful it becomes.  Opening chests sends skeleton orbs into the air that are adsorbed into your body much like God of War also.  If you are reading this thinking, "what a ripoff, they stole everything!", don't!  The developers didn't steal anything, they simply lovingly borrowed it.  It's almost like the developers are paying homage to the two game types.  The puzzles are really fun to solve and the combat is amazingly addictive.  I found myself running through levels before leaving just looking for more stuff to kill.  It may not be their own ideas, but they did one hell of a job putting into play.  

The other big draw for Darksiders was the art style.  Comic book artist Joe Mad did a great job creating the warrior of the apocalypse with his exaggerated hands and feet, war horse, and humongous weapons.  Each and ever enemy seemed to show off a little more of what the creative team could do and I looked forward to them all.  I was really excited to hear that they are planning on possibly turning this game into a movie or a comic book series in the near future.  I can honestly say, with the way this game looks that it would be awesome from a creative standpoint.  The only issues I had with the graphics in this game was a little screen tearing during some moments in the game.  One time it happened a lot in a hallway and then never again after that.  
    No Caption Provided

The story is pretty good, but basically just there as a backdrop.  If you don't know already, you play War, one of the four horseman of the apocalypse, and you inadvertently set off the apocalypse by "answering the call".  Only problem is the call wasn't made and now mankind is being wiped out because of it.  So, you set out of a path of vengeance to find the Destroyer.  Yeah, it's about as campy as you'd expect.  No big plot points in what I played so far, but it's no bad.  Not great, but not bad.

Like I said, I'm about 6-7 hours into the game and I'm loving it so far.  The developers did one hell of a job mixing Zelda with God of War and it makes one interesting mix.  If you were ev
    No Caption Provided
    er a fan of a Zelda game and you like some good old fashion button mashing, I recommend you pick this bad boy up.  You'll thank me for doing so.  It may not have multiplayer and when you finish the game you might not have much reason to play through it again, but it's worth you taking a look at it. 
    ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By ttocs

No Caption Provided

Darksiders was a game that wasn't really on my radar until about 2-3 weeks ago.  While at work I was looking for some videos to watch while I ate my lunch and stumbled across some developer diaries and trailers on the game.  After seeing the Zelda meets God of War gameplay, I was immediately intrigued.  Two great game styles merged to form a game where you play as one of the four horseman of the freakin' apocalypse...premises just don't get better than that.  So, on January 5th, I headed to my local Best Buy, picked up the game, and began playing.  About 6-7 hours later, here are my initial impressions.

The reviews are correct, this is a game that relies heavily on Zelda like puzzles and means of travel.  The boomerang in Darksiders is used in almost the same way it is in Zelda and the puzzles just scream Zelda in every way.  The combat on the other hand is very God of War.  Instead of leveling up your character, you level up your
    No Caption Provided
    weapons kind of like you would in God of War.  The more you use it, the more powerful it becomes.  Opening chests sends skeleton orbs into the air that are adsorbed into your body much like God of War also.  If you are reading this thinking, "what a ripoff, they stole everything!", don't!  The developers didn't steal anything, they simply lovingly borrowed it.  It's almost like the developers are paying homage to the two game types.  The puzzles are really fun to solve and the combat is amazingly addictive.  I found myself running through levels before leaving just looking for more stuff to kill.  It may not be their own ideas, but they did one hell of a job putting into play.  

The other big draw for Darksiders was the art style.  Comic book artist Joe Mad did a great job creating the warrior of the apocalypse with his exaggerated hands and feet, war horse, and humongous weapons.  Each and ever enemy seemed to show off a little more of what the creative team could do and I looked forward to them all.  I was really excited to hear that they are planning on possibly turning this game into a movie or a comic book series in the near future.  I can honestly say, with the way this game looks that it would be awesome from a creative standpoint.  The only issues I had with the graphics in this game was a little screen tearing during some moments in the game.  One time it happened a lot in a hallway and then never again after that.  
    No Caption Provided

The story is pretty good, but basically just there as a backdrop.  If you don't know already, you play War, one of the four horseman of the apocalypse, and you inadvertently set off the apocalypse by "answering the call".  Only problem is the call wasn't made and now mankind is being wiped out because of it.  So, you set out of a path of vengeance to find the Destroyer.  Yeah, it's about as campy as you'd expect.  No big plot points in what I played so far, but it's no bad.  Not great, but not bad.

Like I said, I'm about 6-7 hours into the game and I'm loving it so far.  The developers did one hell of a job mixing Zelda with God of War and it makes one interesting mix.  If you were ev
    No Caption Provided
    er a fan of a Zelda game and you like some good old fashion button mashing, I recommend you pick this bad boy up.  You'll thank me for doing so.  It may not have multiplayer and when you finish the game you might not have much reason to play through it again, but it's worth you taking a look at it. 
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Linkyshinks

I like Zelda, but I dislike button mashers.

I think I prefer my Zelda like experiences to come from actual Zelda games, and with a supposedly great Zelda with motion plus combat due at the end of this year, I think I'll wait for that.    

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#3  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Wait, its Zelda with God of War's combat? That sounds way better than I expected.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Pie

I would like to get this but I only really have enough money for Mass Effect 2

RiddleBrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By RiddleBrother

Can't say I think the art style is anything special.

ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ttocs
    @ArbitraryWater said:
    " Wait, its Zelda with God of War's combat? That sounds way better than I expected. "
    Basically.  The combat isn't as involved as God of War, meaning you don't have to focus on combos as much to be a badass.  If you hit x a bunch of times, throw in some pauses, and maybe a Y here and there (on 360) you will be slashing guys across the screen.  You lock on to targets and it's critical much like it is in Zelda, but the combat is better than Zelda.  

I'm telling ya, this game didn't get much fanfare and it's kinda depressing because it's such a unique game.  A lot of people are going to let this one slip by when they shouldn't.
    Butchio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Butchio

im not letting this slip, cant wait for this game, roll on the weekend

ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ttocs
    @RiddleBrother said:
    " Can't say I think the art style is anything special. "
    Have you played the game or are you just looking at screenshots?  I would recommend reserving judgement until you can see it in motion.  While it's certainly no Borderlands, you can tell Joe Mad put love into the game.  It's rich colors and awesome looking demons are fun to watch and kill.
    Avatar image for aperturesilence
    ApertureSilence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ApertureSilence

Darksiders does kinda look like the game I hoped Brutal Legend would be.

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By VWGTI

I played a couple hours last night and it's ok. Awesome in spots, rough in others. Boss battles and combat in general are pretty good. Voice acting, characters, and story all seem alright. Although, there was one part that played a lot like Panzer Dragoon abd it  felt sloppy and out of place in a game like this.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By mordukai
    @ttocs:  
    Which version of the game are you playing?
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By ProfessorEss

I played quite a bit of it last night - actually I had trouble stopping and didn't get to bed until 2.

Lovin' how it's a "game's game". The HUD elements look like videogame HUD elements, the menus look like videogame menus. The face buttons are Jump, Attack 1, Attack 2 and Grab for crying out loud - that's videogame. Controls good, puzzles are well done, levels so far have been laid out nicely and enemy placement and amount feels right. It's obviously a matter of opinion but I think the game looks awesome. I LOVE the art style and character/creature design.

I'm really liking it. After countless hours of playin stuff like Uncharted 2, DragonAge and whatnot it's kinda nice to play something that's not "revolutionizing" anything or "blurring any boundaries". It's a kill dudes, pull levers, double jumpin' videogame-ass game.

And hey, if yer gonna steal stuff... Zelda and God of War are good places to loot, and the mix of the two give it a different feel than both.

(PS: ....oh yeah, and there' NO QUICKTIME EVENT SEQUENCES - that's almost an automatic 10/10 for me)

ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ttocs
    @Mordukai said:
    " @ttocs:  Which version of the game are you playing? "
    I'm playing on the 360.  Sorry, should have made mention to that.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14  Edited By Seppli

About 5 hours in. Just finished the first dungeon and the second wrath gate. I love the wrath gate challenge rooms. So much fun.

Also, combat if far from buttonmashing, if you play on 'Apocalyptic'. War doesn't take much punishment at first. You start out with 2 healthbars, gaining one for every dungeon boss and 4 'heartcontainers'. Most hits take away half a heathbar and combos and special superattacks can take down 1,5 healthbars.

On 'Apocalyptic' combat feels a lot more like the first 'Ninja Gaiden'. It's almost as thight. Only 'bad' thing about combat controls is block, which is on the same button as dash and doesn't mix and match well in combat - meaning block drops sometimes for no explicable reason after dash. You can dash in the air though, which is sick. Like keeping a enemy in juggling state, airdashing to the next. Or jumping over big enemies attacks, hitting their heads, then airdashing from big AoE attacks and such. Good shit.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15  Edited By Seppli

In short...

If you want 'Darksiders' to shine as bright as it truely is, you have to crank up the difficulty to 'Apocalyptic'. Combat is really, really thight and fun. Feels like the first Ninja Gaiden. Brutal, but fair. With slight camera issues.
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ProfessorEss

I was gonna mention that I didn't find it particularly mashy either - I'm playing on Apocalyptic as well. 

I've been relying on the dash more than the block - waay more.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By mordukai
    @ttocs said:
    " @Mordukai said:
    " @ttocs:  Which version of the game are you playing? "
    I'm playing on the 360.  Sorry, should have made mention to that. "
    Cool, thanks. I might rent the PS3 version once I'm done with Demon's Souls. I just wanted to know because I heard that the PS3 version is suffering from the Bayonetta Syndrome. I should pick up the 360 version but I really hate using the 360 controller for Action Adventure games. 
    Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#18  Edited By Tordah

I've changed my mind about Darksiders this past week. It does look like a really solid and fun game.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Snail

Very informative read, now I know for sure that I will be picking this up. By watching trailers I didn't quite know what to think of the game, although I did have my hopes up for this. It totally exceeds my expectations. 

Oh, by the way,  you totally forgot to mention a big decisive factor in the game: Mark Hammil is in it.

ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ttocs
    @Snail said:
    " Very informative read, now I know for sure that I will be picking this up. By watching trailers I didn't quite know what to think of the game, although I did have my hopes up for this. It totally exceeds my expectations.  Oh, by the way,  you totally forgot to mention a big decisive factor in the game: Mark Hammil is in it. "
    Yeah, that is true.  So far though, he has had a small role within the beginning of the game.  You know nothing about his character other than that he is pretty much in your hand.  You can make him come out on command but his true intent or his story hasn't been touched on yet.
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Snail
    @ttocs: Shame, he is a really great voice actor.
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @ttocs said:
    " @Snail said:
    " Very informative read, now I know for sure that I will be picking this up. By watching trailers I didn't quite know what to think of the game, although I did have my hopes up for this. It totally exceeds my expectations.  Oh, by the way,  you totally forgot to mention a big decisive factor in the game: Mark Hammil is in it. "
    Yeah, that is true.  So far though, he has had a small role within the beginning of the game.  You know nothing about his character other than that he is pretty much in your hand.  You can make him come out on command but his true intent or his story hasn't been touched on yet. "
    Kinda reminds me of Ninja Ninja from Afro Samurai :P
    defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By defaulttag

I'm liking the game so far. The character design is great. However, the environment can get a little bland. Mixing up modern world with all these cryptic magical architecture is a little eclectic ( I would rather have zones where they had differences between magical architecture with a destroyed city), though I understand it as a plot device. I have it for PS3 and the graphics aren't too amazing. There's lots of aliasing going on (jagged polygon edges), and the draw distance for textures isn't too great (lots of flat blurry objects in the distance, not detailed until you are very close). Screen tearing is not a problem. Maybe happened twice so far, but only for a few seconds. There is a lot of open space within what I have played and it's getting a little repetitive for battles. I've only played a little bit however, and I'm hoping it gets better. The story is not too bad. It's nothing special. The angels and demons theme, to me, is awesome though. The controls are good, the combat, solid. The use of environmental objects felt a little tacked on, but it's nothing too bad since you don't have to use it. I understand that it is basically copying god of war/devil may cry when it comes to weapon upgrades/restorative chests. I'm fine with that. So far it's a solid game, despite technical flaws. I am enjoying it. I wonder what critics will say? How would this hold up to Dante's Inferno or to the actual God of War III?

mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By mikeeegeee

That box art is really quite remarkable.

ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ttocs
    @mikeeegeee said:
    " That box art is really quite remarkable. "
    It's shiny too!  When I picked it up I thought it had some kind of special paper on it, but no, it's the actual box...it glistens.  Hah, I like shiny things.
    ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ttocs
    @ProfessorEss said:
    " I was gonna mention that I didn't find it particularly mashy either - I'm playing on Apocalyptic as well.   I've been relying on the dash more than the block - waay more. "
    As the game is going on, you're right.  It's not as mashy as I was initially playing it.  I am playing on Normal though, so maybe I'm mashing a little bit more than those on hard.  But the dash is critical for some boss fights (I don't think it's possible on normal and up without using dash).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.