Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead or Alive 5

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 25, 2012

Dead or Alive 5 is the seventh entry in the Dead or Alive fighting game franchise, introducing a new visual style, new game mechanics, and highly interactive stages.

Countering

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Ravelle

I'm having trouble countering incoming strikes and kicks, It seems it gets harder with every game too. The action is too fast too see if the opponent is attacking high or low, I never am fast enough to press any of the counter holds in time and always get in to a undefendable juggle stun instead.

What do you guys think about the counter system?

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By bed

i like it. it's one of my favorite parts about the series. it's tough at first, but it takes time to learn. once you get used to it it becomes really rewarding

CAN'T SAY MUCH CAUSE PLAYING RIGHT NOW

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Carryboy

Vast improvement the countering had always been way to powerfull in previous games this is better with only a couple of frames to counter and also less damage.

M_33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By M_33

I think it's more about reading your opponent than it is reacting. The beauty of DOA is that the more you fight one dude, the more you'll pick up on his methods. That's when you start countering.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

You are meant to block in this game and not throw out counters. This is not DOA4 were that was a viable tactic. Counters have a lower active frame window although i'm not sure the exact frame number. They do less damage as well. It is hard to pay attention to during a battle but the animations between the counter hit levels is further differentiated than in previous games.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Ravelle

What I hate though are the opponents combo's you're stuck in, finding yourself unable to recover and block, before you know it he has you bouncing up and down and against the wall.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#7  Edited By musubi

Countering is great they tightened up the window in DOA 5 too. The thing is like with many things the trade off you are going for is potentially huge damage and a momentum shift in exchange for possibly being wrong and eating a huge combo. The times you should really counter is when you know someone is going to hit a specific way. I've got a bad habit of trying to randomly counter and I've been working on changing that because you really want to block more in this game than in past DOA games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.