Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead or Alive

Franchise »

Dead or Alive is a 3D fighting game franchise created by Tomonobu Itagaki. Featuring a unique parry system and a colorful cast of characters, the series has spanned multiple sequels and spin-offs.

How good are these games?

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By saoakden

I've been a big fan of fighting games since I got Super Smash Bros. Melee years ago. I have been a fan of The Super Smash bros. Series, Mortal Kombat, Soul Calibur, Tekken, Capcom VS. series, Dragon Ball, and recently Street Fighter. Usually when I go to Gamestop, they usually recommend some fighting games since I have a history of buying fighting games. One of the games they recommended was Dead or Alive. I have heard about these games before but never actually played them before.

Has anyone played any of these games before? Are they any good, are they like some of the other games I have listed here? Let me know about this series. The only thing I really know is that its a fighting game series and one of my favorite ninjas in gaming are in the series, the ninja being Ryu Hayabusa.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By MEATBALL

Dead or Alive 2 was pretty rad.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Castiel

The first one was pretty rad, after that it turned to shite!

Avatar image for deactivated-66361f5b4a584
    deactivated-66361f5b4a584

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Beach volleyball is the way to go! Quality!

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Lunar_Aura

It's an ok fighting game. The risk to reward ratio is particularly whack and it seems overly forgiving on execution i.e. you can buttonmash a ton of moves and they'll tend to come out with a decent flow.

DoA is kind of like the 3d equivalent of Marvel, imho.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

The Dead or Alive games are unique and not for everyone. They are mostly about mix ups. The only guaranteed damage is from juggles. The core of Dead or Alive is a more advanced version of Rock Paper Scissors. Where you have have Strike, Counter and Throw. Strikes have priory over all throws (except catch throws). You can stop a offense at any time with counters. This is the main thing that separates it from all other fighting games and why some people don't like it. Lastly if a counter attempt fails, any throw (once again except catch throws) will do extra damage. The gameplay feel extremely smooth and is a lot of fun. It's easy to get into but has depth (more then I feel it gets credit for, but that is neither here nor there).

If you can find a copy of Dead or Alive 4 for cheap I say get if the above description sounds good to you.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By buzz_clik

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

The Dead or Alive games are unique and not for everyone. They are mostly about mix ups. The only guaranteed damage is from juggles. The core of Dead or Alive is a more advanced version of Rock Paper Scissors. Where you have have Strike, Counter and Throw. Strikes have priory over all throws (except catch throws). You can stop a offense at any time with counters. This is the main thing that separates it from all other fighting games and why some people don't like it. Lastly if a counter attempt fails, any throw (once again except catch throws) will do extra damage. The gameplay feel extremely smooth and is a lot of fun. It's easy to get into but has depth (more then I feel it gets credit for, but that is neither here nor there).

If you can find a copy of Dead or Alive 4 for cheap I say get if the above description sounds good to you.

All o' dis.

I'm a fan of the DoA games, but I can see how they're not everyone's cup of tea. Definitely worth finding out, though.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By breadfan

Boobs

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

While I can't speak to how good DOA is as a fighting game, I CAN speak to how amazingly stupid/awesome the DOA Ultimate intro is

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.