Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Rising 2

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Sep 02, 2010

Dead Rising 2 is a third-person action-adventure survival horror game that takes place five years after the end of the original Dead Rising, moving its zombie apocalypse setting into the glamorous Fortune City.

The story makes no sense **spoilers**

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By Vinny_Says
    alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#2  Edited By alistercat

The zombies for the gameshow are obviously in very limited supply. They don't reproduce. Seems fine to me.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Vinny_Says
    @AlisterCat said:
    " The zombies for the gameshow are obviously in very limited supply. They don't reproduce. Seems fine to me. "
    They've had 17 TIRs how are there still zombies?
    onlineatron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By onlineatron

I'm dressed in a tux, comedy spectacles and have blue hair; I kill many zombies with a tricycle.  

You're point is invalid.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#5  Edited By alistercat
    @blacklabeldomm said:
    " @AlisterCat said:
    " The zombies for the gameshow are obviously in very limited supply. They don't reproduce. Seems fine to me. "
    They've had 17 TIRs how are there still zombies? "
    Well TK was in on it. I'm not going to work out the numbers for things that aren't real but it obviously wasn't enough for them. TIR drew in a lot more people that they could infect with the small number left.
    George_Hukas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By George_Hukas
    @blacklabeldomm said:
    " @AlisterCat said:
    They've had 17 TIRs how are there still zombies? "
    Zombrex can only be harvested from zombie queens not regular zombies
    Teclo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Teclo

OK, if you're going to try and make sense of game logic, how about this; if you estimate how many zombies are in the one TiR event you do at the start of the game, there's probably a couple of hundred or so. Queens only appear once in so many hundred zombies (just going off general experience). That means there'd be like 2 queens at best per event, less for the less zombie-intensive rounds such as the target range one. On the other hand, there's an achievement for killing 72,000 zombies, meaning there are at least that many zombies in Fortune City, and out of that many you'd get 720 queens. The equivalent of at least 90 episodes (360 events at 4 events per show) of TiR in only 3 days. Not that I'm trying to make out that the DR2 plot is deep and complex, but if you're going to try and take it seriously, you should take into account all the factors.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Vinny_Says
    @Teclo: Yeah the story is stupid but the excuse Sullivan gives at the end was so generic and pointless. I felt so underwhelmed by that story. The game is still fun though.
    Teclo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Teclo

I know what you mean, really. I think the harvesting queens thing does justify what they did (in a cheesy B-movie way) but I do think the story really falls down in the sense that none of the endings satisfyingly resolve things. The S-rank ending is the lazy "heroes walk away, a job well done" ending and the other endings (I've yet to see A, but maybe it's the same as what you see before going on to get an S-rank?) just feel incredibly short and rushed. I'd love to see a proper ending, even if it was just Chuck, Stacey and Katey driving away and finding a safe place to live, at least for a bit. The whole game built up (a) Chuck is doing this all for his daughter, if only they can just survive these 3 days! and (b) Stacey is being set up as a possible new mom for Katey, and yet none of the endings even remotely built on those things. I can't help but think the totally non-resolving ending scenes are to do with the upcoming Case West epilogue.

Immuniity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Immuniity

Zombies can't reproduce. They are a finite stock which is ever decreasing with stuff like the game show.

Its been so long since the last out break everyone that was bitten has either turned (no longer able to use zombrex), unaffected (can't use zombrex), given up using zombrex or continuing to use zombrex to fend off the inevitable.  Its been years since the last big outbreak (and the last big surge in people using zombrex) and the company is trying to revive that sales boost. Plus, more queens could probably = more research to make a premium zombrex (read: more expensive).

Seems pretty open and shut.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Afroman269

I love how the story in Dead Rising 2 has to somehow be justified lol.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#12  Edited By Hailinel

Because the company is run by soulless, capitalistic dicks that would rather get as much money as they can by selling Zombrex rather than by finding a permanent solution to the problem and seeing their money well dry up.

willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13  Edited By willin

Screw that, what I wanna know is despite saving both a pharmacist AND a medic, why the fuck do I have to run every 24 hours to the safehouse to give one needle to Katey? Why can I not give the Zombrex to both of the trained professionals that owe me for saving their lives so I don't have to run back and forward playing doctor?

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By Diamond

Even Dead Rising 1's story made more sense, but it doesn't bother me that much.  I'd love to know why TK hated Chuck Greene so much, but maybe TK hated everyone.  I'd actually like to have seen Blue Castle flesh him out some more as a character.  The bad guys in DR1 had more backstory.

Chang dying was weird in a lot of ways, at first people naturally hate her, then she seems OK, then she gets killed and noone really cares that much.  It's just another case of poor writing. 

I find it hard to care with the sheer number of poorly written videogame plots...

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By ProfessorEss

Holy crap, I sincerely hope no one bought DR2 for logical plot reasons.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#16  Edited By Yummylee

...You can't be serial??

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By Nekroskop

Some plotholes are ok in games. Hell even the Halo and CoD series have more plotholes than this game

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Vinny_Says
    @ProfessorEss: no, but I forced myself to play it to get that 20 points.... 
    @Abyssfull: Mad serial!!
    Avatar image for redrocketwestie
    RedRocketWestie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By RedRocketWestie
    @Lights_Up_The_Shaft said:
    " Screw that, what I wanna know is despite saving both a pharmacist AND a medic, why the fuck do I have to run every 24 hours to the safehouse to give one needle to Katey? Why can I not give the Zombrex to both of the trained professionals that owe me for saving their lives so I don't have to run back and forward playing doctor? "
    Chuck doesn't trust his daughter's safety to anyone but himself. 

My problem with the logic (and I'm just nitpicking for fun -- I don't expect it to make sense) is that in DR1, Isabela specifically says she has previously made the serum by synthesizing the enzymes in a lab, and that she's never extracted it from a queen before. So why would the way less efficient way become the de facto standard?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.