Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Death Stranding

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Nov 08, 2019

The first game from game director Hideo Kojima after his departure from Konami, Death Stranding is a third-person action-adventure game where the goal is to dredge through a ravaged wasteland to reconnect isolated cities and prevent a mass extinction.

What is the line of dialogue Jeff is referring to on this week's Bombcast? (SPOILERS)

i-am-a-joek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

In the first half hour of today's Bombcast, Jeff referred to a line of dialogue so bad that there were reaction videos about it, anybody got video links?

chubie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i-am-a-joek: I want to know too

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I havent watched/listened to the podcast but it could be the line "So what? I'm Mario and you're Princess Beach?" It's hard to say with a game that has so much bad dialog. (that stuck out to me though)

silversaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By silversaint

I am wondering too, having watched the entire game basically twice now there is no line that stood out. Instead there were just numerous terrible lines, so it could be anything!

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

Listening to the Bombcast, I came here because I just had to know.

Searching for YouTube for that one suggestion, I found a lot of clips of just that scene. That line was so stupid I had a hard time processing it. If that’s not it, then oh my god.

I’m sure they’ll say what it is during GOTY of something.

tehmoonstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's also, "I brought you a metaphor." That one got a massive chuckle out of me.

Avatar image for sarcasticmudcrab
    SarcasticMudcrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SarcasticMudcrab

Also here after searching around for something offensive or controversial. That Mario line is bad, really bad, but bad enough to make Jeff want to uninstall the game? Seems like a bit of an over reaction if that's the case.

I thought it would be some weird thing about babies or something.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I assumed the game got straight-up racist or something, based on Jeff’s response.

Avatar image for deactivated-6373f6c34cbfb
    deactivated-6373f6c34cbfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember Jeff saying that the origin of the BBs was deeply offensive. Maybe when Deadman was talking about that?

bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Starting to think a lot of the initial reaction was a little hyperbolic

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@kmj2318: I’m assuming it was something deeply unsettling to a new parent of a firstborn.

When you’re a parent for the first time, everything changes and your sensitivities to certain things can change dramatically.

At least that was my experience and I THINK I’m picking-up on a bit of that with Jeff, as well.

I’m curious to get the game and see for myself. I’m about a decade removed from having my youngest, so it may be something that doesn’t bug me at this point.

Raonak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kmj2318 said:

I remember Jeff saying that the origin of the BBs was deeply offensive. Maybe when Deadman was talking about that?

BB's are come from mothers who died while being pregnant ("still-mother"). That's why they're considered the bridge between life and death and can sense dead things such as BS.

Personally, I thought it was a very cool concept.

micahpearson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@raonak: Cool concept or no, it's completely understandable seeing as how Jeff and his wife just had a baby.

Raonak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@micahpearson: I guess, he didn't really preface it with that though. I immediately thought it was meant to be something racist/sexist rather than something subjective like that.

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everyone is saying it's the Mario reference. If that's it, it doesn't seem as bad as everyone is saying. It's dumb, but lots of games have dumb lines.

@raonak said:

@kmj2318 said:

BB's are come from mothers who died while being pregnant ("still-mother"). That's why they're considered the bridge between life and death and can sense dead things such as BS.

Personally, I thought it was a very cool concept.

Wait, that's it? I think it's a cool concept too. I guess it's a subjective thing, but it doesn't seem as bad or offensive as they made it sound like.

The more I learn what people are reacting to, the more I think Giant Bomb (crew and users) are overreacting... Not saying these are amazing ideas, some of it is absurdly dumb, but none of it seems to be that bad.

Avatar image for deactivated-6373f6c34cbfb
    deactivated-6373f6c34cbfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nutter:Now that I've heard the bombcast, it sounds like it's probably the reference to some other video game, not something offensive.

@brainscratch: Yeah, I'm not as bothered by the dumb lines as others seem to be. Like when Die-Hardman says "If that's not symbolism, I don't know what is" I just roll my eyes, but it's not enough to anger me and want to stop playing.

Bezerker85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

If the Mario reference is too much for some people I really look forward to the reactions once they find out what Die-hardman's real name is:

John McClane

MerxWorx01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MerxWorx01

or maybe it's the line near the end: Be sure to drink your Ovaltine!

FDL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If the Mario reference is too much for some people I really look forward to the reactions once they find out what Die-hardman's real name is:

John McClane

Oh fucking hell yeah dude. Can't be mad at that.

doombot13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rahf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Rahf

@brainscratch: I can completely and fully be on-board with Jeff's assessment, while disagreeing with it. I can completely understand why the concept is repulsive: it implies you are kidnapping babies, solely for your own purpose. That's what gets quite ugly for me.

Do they ever imply ever B.Bs are temporary and will eventually grow out of the container? If not, huge mistake.

First thought when it was mentioned as offensive: they're aborted fetuses. Because I don't know if that could ever be justified. Not even necessarily as a pro-choice/pro-life debate, but as a general moral quandary. I mean, In this case you are seemingly enslaving what amounts to a living person.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#22 chaser324  Moderator

John McClane

Are you being serious right now? WTF?

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@micahpearson: I don't understand why the onus is on the devs to be hypersensitive to that. It's their art, let it be what they want. It's an interesting concept, may cut close to some but it's not meant to be offensive.

alan187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry for posting on an old thread, but I don't think it's how BB come to be, OR the mario line, but I think it's the answer to this question:

@rahf said:

Do they ever imply ever B.Bs are temporary and will eventually grow out of the container? If not, huge mistake.

Deadman told Sam not to get attached to BB because it was equipment and would be disposed eventually.

Rahf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alan187: fantastic, so they are essentially living and kidnapped fetuses. That is next-level of a lot of -isms.

My soul feels tainted after that revelation.

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alan187 said:

Sorry for posting on an old thread, but I don't think it's how BB come to be, OR the mario line, but I think it's the answer to this question:

@rahf said:

Deadman told Sam not to get attached to BB because it was equipment and would be disposed eventually.

I just got to the part where Deadman takes B.B. away for recalibration or whatever. So yeah he basically says that if it starts "becoming human" then it's defective and that needs to be fixed. I'm very pissed at Sam for not being more pissed about this. Silver lining is that now at least that unskippable cutscene when BTs are near stops triggering every time I drive down that one road...but overall the part where I'm supposed to get attached to BB is something the game actually succeeded at in my case.

The most questionable part for me so far is not necessarily the true nature of BBs but rather the implication that there's a secret gov't program (ongoing?) to create them (this is something on the same level as a forced abortion if I'm understanding things correctly).

Rahf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quantris I feel vindicated.

@rahf said:

I can completely and fully be on-board with Jeff's assessment, while disagreeing with it. I can completely understand why the concept is repulsive: it implies you are kidnapping babies, solely for your own purpose. That's what gets quite ugly for me.

First thought when it was mentioned as offensive: they're aborted fetuses. Because I don't know if that could ever be justified. Not even necessarily as a pro-choice/pro-life debate, but as a general moral quandary. I mean, In this case you are seemingly enslaving what amounts to a living person.

DrM2theJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By DrM2theJ

Like others, I assumed it had to do with Deadman's flippant treatment of the BBs as "tools" rather than babies. I loved when BB flipped Deadman off during that scene, and I really hated Deadman during that part of the game.

That said, I kept playing the game and without spoiling, I'd just say that Deadman really came around and became one of my favorite characters.

This game *heavily* back-loaded its character development. Most of the main characters are pretty vague or just plain suck for the first 50-85% of the game. I was so worried Fragile would turn out to be Quiet 2.0 but she totally didn't. The characters mostly end up likeable (if not cheesy as hell) by the end.

Hell, I went into the last couple chapters thinking Die-Hardman was basically a nothing character but especially really close to the end of the game he got a lot of development and one of the best in-game performances of a character I've ever seen.

It's too bad stuff like that early Deadman/BB scene are such turn-offs because the late game stuff is really good.

Add'n: The Junk Dealer remains one of the biggest piece of shit characters in games, though.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, that's fucked. I don't think I'm playing this.

DrM2theJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rahf said:

@brainscratch: I can completely and fully be on-board with Jeff's assessment, while disagreeing with it. I can completely understand why the concept is repulsive: it implies you are kidnapping babies, solely for your own purpose. That's what gets quite ugly for me.

Without spoiling, the story ends up being quite directly about the BBs, about the nature of their origins, and about the inhumanity of the whole thing. It's such a trek to get there (sigh, I know), but I do think it "pays off".

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.