Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Demon's Souls

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Oct 06, 2009

Demon's Souls is an action-RPG developed by From Software and released in 2009. It quickly became popular within hardcore circles for its relentlessly steep difficulty level, deep combat system, and unique multiplayer integration.

I'm in an abusive relationship... with Demon's Souls

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 52

Edited By tearhead

So the fact that Demon's Souls became a Greatest Hits game nudged me enough into buying the game. After reading so much love for this game from fans and reviews, it's kind of crazy how divisive this game has become. So, I finally decided to try the game out for myself, and see if this game is really that brutal. After starting a new game, I choose the class Royalty and went through the tutorial which ends in you facing a boss which you could not beat. This was ok, because I guess I guess dying is so unique in this game that I guess it should be explained.  After dying, I was then resurrected in the Nexus and after a chat was now facing the real Demon's Souls. 

The first level was a bitch for me as I died about four times in there. The first time I died, I was trying to look down from a balcony to see what was down there, not knowing that when you press up on a short wall your character climbs over it. As he performed this unintentional act, I could only watch in bewilderment as he dropped in the centre of a cluster-fuck of demons and was torn to shreds. Having been respawned at the beginning of the level, and loosing all of my souls, I said "Fuck this game," turned it off and went to bed. In the morning I started to think, "Well, it was kind of my fault, I should have read the manual, and I did deserve to get killed by those demons, I was practically surrounded by them... Ok, Demon's Souls, I'll come back to you." And thus started my abusive relationship with Demon's Souls. 

Every death I had lead to this cycle: Curse the game, turn it off, realize is was my fault not Demon's Souls' (that sounds weird), and return for more abuse. It's gotten to the point where I don't even think I'm having fun, but I can't stop playing. I am constantly afraid of every corner and crevice because I think something is gonna jump out and rape me (which is usually the case). Also, beating a boss and regaining my body means jack shit to me, because in the next level, I'll die and go back to spirit form and have to beat another boss to regain it.  

In closing, this game is great, and you should buy it! :D

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By tearhead

So the fact that Demon's Souls became a Greatest Hits game nudged me enough into buying the game. After reading so much love for this game from fans and reviews, it's kind of crazy how divisive this game has become. So, I finally decided to try the game out for myself, and see if this game is really that brutal. After starting a new game, I choose the class Royalty and went through the tutorial which ends in you facing a boss which you could not beat. This was ok, because I guess I guess dying is so unique in this game that I guess it should be explained.  After dying, I was then resurrected in the Nexus and after a chat was now facing the real Demon's Souls. 

The first level was a bitch for me as I died about four times in there. The first time I died, I was trying to look down from a balcony to see what was down there, not knowing that when you press up on a short wall your character climbs over it. As he performed this unintentional act, I could only watch in bewilderment as he dropped in the centre of a cluster-fuck of demons and was torn to shreds. Having been respawned at the beginning of the level, and loosing all of my souls, I said "Fuck this game," turned it off and went to bed. In the morning I started to think, "Well, it was kind of my fault, I should have read the manual, and I did deserve to get killed by those demons, I was practically surrounded by them... Ok, Demon's Souls, I'll come back to you." And thus started my abusive relationship with Demon's Souls. 

Every death I had lead to this cycle: Curse the game, turn it off, realize is was my fault not Demon's Souls' (that sounds weird), and return for more abuse. It's gotten to the point where I don't even think I'm having fun, but I can't stop playing. I am constantly afraid of every corner and crevice because I think something is gonna jump out and rape me (which is usually the case). Also, beating a boss and regaining my body means jack shit to me, because in the next level, I'll die and go back to spirit form and have to beat another boss to regain it.  

In closing, this game is great, and you should buy it! :D

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Akeldama

I just recently broke up with Demon's Souls. Every now and again I get a phone call from her asking me to go for coffee or something. Im seeing other people now and that is something Demon's Souls will have to understand.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By onarum

Yep, this game will grab you by the balls and wont let go until you have like 150 hours put in it.... I freaking love it.

Daroki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Daroki

You'll find that dying in body form actually makes the world you're in tougher which eventually is something you'll want to do in order to get more souls out of those levels and unlock certain instances that won't happen with neutral worlds.  It's a shame that they didn't throw the world into pure white with the re-release since it would give people the opportunity to see some of those things and give people a chance to get accustomed to it's brutality in a slower manner.  Keep an eye out for world events which Atlus will occasionally do that throw the world tendancies one way or another as it can have a drastic change on the game.   

And best of luck in Boletaria, it's an awesome place full of messed up things.  Demon's Souls right now is the only game I've got a platinum trophy on for the PS3, and it took about 180 hours for me to do it but it was completely worth it.  The game's fantastic, and I'm looking forward to more information on "Project Dark" which is the "spiritual successor" to the game.
    FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By FunExplosions

Here's a piece of knowledge that'll really piss you off. That tutorial boss? The Vanguard? You can actually beat him. More than that, you'll actually get to the point where you won't even break a sweat trying to do so.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @Akeldama said:
    " I just recently broke up with Demon's Souls. Every now and again I get a phone call from her asking me to go for coffee or something. Im seeing other people now and that is something Demon's Souls will have to understand. "
    This is who I was imagining as I was reading...

No Caption Provided
    huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By huntad

I told Demon's Souls that I'd call her when I felt like it. In other words, I only die in Demon's Souls when I feel like dying in Demon's Souls. I, honestly, don't find the game that hard anymore. Also, Royalty is one of the easiest classes to play in the game. Use your Soul Arrow a lot. You have regenerating MP and Soul Arrow. Abuse them.

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By tearhead
    @Daroki: So wait... dying in body form not only cuts your heath in half and takes your souls, but also make the same instance harder?? That's fucked up. Also, I am completely ignorant to World Tendencies, where are these places I can and cannot get to based on WT? Or should I not worry about this at my current soul level (23)?
    Timing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#9  Edited By Timing
    @Daroki said:
    " You'll find that dying in body form actually makes the world you're in tougher
    Not until you actually exit the world and re-enter it again though, while on the other hand, if you die and your Character Tendency is white, you'll actually instantly be more powerful in Soul form than in Body form (aside from the loss of health of course).

But yep, that sounds like Demon's Souls alright, though I suffered considerably less abuse, probably because I played as a Temple Knight the first time through, which turned out to be Demon's Souls Easy mode. And yes, if you jump down somewhere without looking, chances are you will BE KILL BY DEMONS.
    Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Grissefar

Demon's Souls is a great game but it has a hump after the first boss that's a little difficult to get over. Basically you have the choice between 4 bosses next, and none of them are that easy when you're only lvl 10. That is, if you can even get to them. Once you beat one of them you get enough souls that you'll feel stronger and will have an easier time moving on in the game.

ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ViciousReiven
    @Tearhead said:
    " @Daroki: So wait... dying in body form not only cuts your heath in half and takes your souls, but also make the same instance harder?? That's fucked up. Also, I am completely ignorant to World Tendencies, where are these places I can and cannot get to based on WT? Or should I not worry about this at my current soul level (23)? "
    No? Well unless you consider having less health harder, a lot of times being a soul helps, you're less easily detected (no footsteps), you can do slightly more damage to some enemies (ones that are strong against physical attacks, since you're no longer physical), and recieve less damage from physical force (same reason).
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By xyzygy
    @Akeldama said:
    " I just recently broke up with Demon's Souls. Every now and again I get a phone call from her asking me to go for coffee or something. Im seeing other people now and that is something Demon's Souls will have to understand. "
    YOU were the other man! She wouldn't tell me even after a long session of beatings and bruises. I told Demon Soul's that she's not welcome back here. PS, That coffee she made is expired, we bought it last year
    Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not trying to be a cocky dick or anything, but the only times I had trouble in this game were me being retarded and sprinting off an edge every now and then and I died a time or two from being ganged up on by the massive troll things with clubs.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think most people who play Demon's Souls are pretty sick to begin with. My idea of a fun game isn't replaying the same sections 100 times with half health.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By Akeldama
    @xyzygy said:
    " @Akeldama said:
    YOU were the other man! She wouldn't tell me even after a long session of beatings and bruises. I told Demon Soul's that she's not welcome back here. PS, That coffee she made is expired, we bought it last year "
    That soulless bitch....I knew she was pulling something. 
    FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#16  Edited By FancySoapsMan
    @Tearhead said:
    " @Daroki: So wait... dying in body form not only cuts your heath in half and takes your souls, but also make the same instance harder?? That's fucked up. Also, I am completely ignorant to World Tendencies, where are these places I can and cannot get to based on WT? Or should I not worry about this at my current soul level (23)? "
    Don't worry too much about WT on your first playthrough. The only thing I recommend is that you go back to the Nexus and die there after beating a boss, because you can't get a negative change from dying there.  Also, there's a ring in the first level that allows you to keep %75 of your health after dying, it's pretty useful in the beggining. 

Other tips, don't worry too much about armor, as it's more important to be able to dodge quickly. Finally, store the souls you get from boss fights, you don't want to spend those.
    lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By lego_my_eggo
    This wiki will help you understand some of the game mechanics of world tendency. Basically if you don't die in body form, kill bosses and don't go around killing NPC's your world tendency turns white, that makes enemies easier but the loot they drop is not as good. It will turn black if you keep dieing in body form, kill NPC's and kill other players you invade, the side effect is that enemies are harder but the loot is better.
    Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Gargantuan

This game is pretty easy once you start to play it the right way. You're not Kratos so take it slow.

Edit: You should also use a good shield and light enough armour to roll quickly.

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By tearhead

Thanks for all the help guys! I finished two worlds so far (1-1 and 2-1). I'm trying to farm 1-1 to level up before I tackle 3-1. I'm at soul level 23 (Roality) right now and really wanna farm that Red Eyes Demon in 1-1 cause it gives like 2000 souls (read that on the wiki). Is this crazy at my current level, or can I beat this guy head on? Do you guys have any better farming areas? Or is soul level 23 good enough for 3-1? Also, should I always kill myself in the Nexus to go back to soul form? Is being in your body a waste of time?

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    @Akeldama said:
    " @xyzygy said:
    " @Akeldama said:
    YOU were the other man! She wouldn't tell me even after a long session of beatings and bruises. I told Demon Soul's that she's not welcome back here. PS, That coffee she made is expired, we bought it last year "
    That soulless bitch....I knew she was pulling something.  "
    She was pulling me.
    danpat177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By danpat177

i loled in all of this :)

Daroki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Daroki
    @Tearhead said:
    "Is this crazy at my current level, or can I beat this guy head on? Do you guys have any better farming areas? Or is soul level 23 good enough for 3-1? Also, should I always kill myself in the Nexus to go back to soul form? Is being in your body a waste of time? "

It's not crazy at your current level.  It's insanity.  :)   If you're trying to farm souls, head towards the Shrine of Storms.  If you can get past 4-1, you'll have a good farming location as long as you have a strong bow or ranged attacks.  (In the beginning of 4-2, look DOWN at the end of the hallway.)
    Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Karkarov
    @Tearhead: 

This game is all about skill, not knowledge or wiki spoilers.  I can kill the knight you refer to with any character at their minimum level with their starter gear only.  4-2 is the best easy to access farming area like the other guy said but don't worry so much about farming.  The more power leveling you do are more weapon upgrading you do (a good weapon is better than 20 soul levels) makes it easier on you.  But if you make it too easy you will only arrive at something like false king or new game plus and get frustrated.  So try stuff even if it seems too hard and try to learn the game yourself as much as possible without using wiki's or walkthroughs.  

It will make you a better player and that is the most powerful weapon in DS.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.