Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Demon's Souls

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Oct 06, 2009

Demon's Souls is an action-RPG developed by From Software and released in 2009. It quickly became popular within hardcore circles for its relentlessly steep difficulty level, deep combat system, and unique multiplayer integration.

So exactly how hard IS this game?

• 72 results
    Gregomasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By Gregomasta
    @xobballox said:
    " I've heard it's quite hard "
    THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID.
    Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By Karkarov
    @Fallen189 said:
    "The one specifically, is after yuo get to the second reaper in 4-2 and bring it down, you have those invisible guys, and you have to kinda turtle against the wall with a shield up and hope they don't break it in one go :P  I beat it however, with essentially a curved falchion +1 which went to a +5 by the end, and soul ray. Rough game. "
    Oh them!  Those are the ghosts of female warriors dude ;p.  I admit they are stealthed and do sorta ambush you, they do laugh alot before they attack so you know they are coming though....
    apekatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#53  Edited By apekatt

Speaking of nasty enemies - given that I don't have anti-magic field, any tips for taking down black phantom squid face-magic-Mind Flayers quickly

Especially in NG+(+) and further on. Tactic for non-BP ones I'm fine with - I can take those out quickly and efficiently, but the black phantom ones in 4-2 and 4-3 are time-consuming, basically   
    grinding down their health from a distance with bows. My melee weapons (Northern Regalia, pure black CT) deals decent damage against these, but the narrow stairwell means it's hard to navigate/roll around them and get behind without risking being blasted by magic ( that in NG++ IS a one-hitter, perhaps two if in body form...) 

( running up towards old monk is a chore, basically with the two BP's requiring ~10-15 arrows a piece from a +5 sticky compound long bow... )  

Kazzurak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Kazzurak

I have a different opinion of the difficulty... the begining is easy as fuck and toward the end it gets difficult, the only stage i have trouble with is 1-3 and 1-4 (i have yet to beat 1-4, but theres too many new games coming out so i dunno when ill get back into it)

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Karkarov
    @apekatt said:
    " Speaking of nasty enemies - given that I don't have anti-magic field, any tips for taking down black phantom squid face-magic-Mind Flayers quickly?  Especially in NG+(+) and further on. Tactic for non-BP ones I'm fine with - I can take those out quickly and efficiently, but the black phantom ones in 4-2 and 4-3 are time-consuming, basically   grinding down their health from a distance with bows. My melee weapons (Northern Regalia, pure black CT) deals decent damage against these, but the narrow stairwell means it's hard to navigate/roll around them and get behind without risking being blasted by magic ( that in NG++ IS a one-hitter, perhaps two if in body form...)  ( running up towards old monk is a chore, basically with the two BP's requiring ~10-15 arrows a piece from a +5 sticky compound long bow... )   "
    There is no quick strategy for beating them without anti magic field.  The boss you learn that spell from only has one other use for their soul so you should be learning it ASAP especially if you are in NG+ already.
    Clinkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Clinkz

Ironically, I wish the game kept its challenge throughout but after you get some gear, you end up just tanking shit. This is what newgame+ is for! Btw that game is amazing.

apekatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By apekatt
    @Karkarov said:
    " @apekatt said:
    " Speaking of nasty enemies - given that I don't have anti-magic field, any tips for taking down black phantom squid face-magic-Mind Flayers quickly?  Especially in NG+(+) and further on. Tactic for non-BP ones I'm fine with - I can take those out quickly and efficiently, but the black phantom ones in 4-2 and 4-3 are time-consuming, basically   grinding down their health from a distance with bows. My melee weapons (Northern Regalia, pure black CT) deals decent damage against these, but the narrow stairwell means it's hard to navigate/roll around them and get behind without risking being blasted by magic ( that in NG++ IS a one-hitter, perhaps two if in body form...)  ( running up towards old monk is a chore, basically with the two BP's requiring ~10-15 arrows a piece from a +5 sticky compound long bow... )   "
    There is no quick strategy for beating them without anti magic field.  The boss you learn that spell from only has one other use for their soul so you should be learning it ASAP especially if you are in NG+ already. "
    Sorry for formulating that wrong - I do have AMF, but I don't have Faith enough to carry it. Oh well. Time to grind some souls and raise Faith then... :-) (14 --> 16, possibly 18.)  
    Hm. Or I could just equip Ring of Devout Prayer and see if that helps. But thanks for clarifying that there isn't a quicker strategy. Then I know what to expect.. :)  
    Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Karkarov
    @apekatt said:
    " Sorry for formulating that wrong - I do have AMF, but I don't have Faith enough to carry it. Oh well. Time to grind some souls and raise Faith then... :-) (14 --> 16, possibly 18.)  Hm. Or I could just equip Ring of Devout Prayer and see if that helps. But thanks for clarifying that there isn't a quicker strategy. Then I know what to expect.. :)   "

Hmm I don't recall off the top of my head.  One ring gives an extra miracle memory slot but the other one just makes them more powerful but increases cast time.  I just don't remember which is which :/   Either way it is only a two slot spell so no biggy, I think it is 18 though, I know 24 is slot 3.
    kira112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By kira112

its a really great rpg imo but a bit toshort

HaniBall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By HaniBall

What I meant was Demons Souls is certainly not an easy game but it's never cheap in it's challenge. Let me try to explain. Megaman is difficult. But it isnt cheap. It's frustrating beyond belief. But you know it's your own lack of skill that has you trying to make the same jump 25 times. Mirrors edge is the same way. Demons Souls is NOT not way. You run into the challenge once, you know how to counter it. AND, you know you shouldnt have died in the first place. You got impatient! I still get impatient with giant depraved ones. I still die to them sometimes. But it's always because I was careless.   (*)  So it's more unforgiving than difficult. The bosses? Timing is important but none of them comes close to .. say, a Metroid boss in terms of complex patterns to learn.

Let me try to think of "cheap" games I've played... Ninja Gaiden 2. Some bosses in Afro Samurai. Sometimes Far Cry 2 (that cover system!!!). And, for some reason I had problems figuring out the beach girl bosses patterns in no more heroes but I think that was me.   DS NEVER gave me that feeling. I always felt it was ME whan I failed.

(*) p.s. thanks Karkarov for the kind words. One BP I would call a liitle cheap is the cleaver lady in the swamp, no? I mean you dont really run into her if you dont stray off the beaten path. But beating her takes [mad] skill.

psps. I just inserted the disk for the first time since january and online its terrible. well, guys waiting to kill you like I used to. So I got killed. Twice.  Gimme a few days :) But I went on and killed some black skellies wthout trouble.  (my gal is SL 38)

SpiralStairs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#61  Edited By SpiralStairs

I just killed Garl Vinland. It was surprisingly easy to parry his attacks, he went down after two or three criticals.

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#62  Edited By luce

The hardest part of this game is making your character's face

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Karkarov
    @joest01: 
    Hehehe yeah the online component of the game in NA has been shaky lately.  Servers are somewhat unstable and the usual DS hijinks are as rampant as ever.
    Korone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Korone

I thought this game was piss easy. I have no clue what everyone's on about.

vager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#65  Edited By vager

Make sure you don't get near the knight with the spear and glowing red eyes. 
    That guy will kick your ass.

webby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By webby

I found it quite tough but after a hour or so or playing I hardly died again.  
    Play Mushihime-sama Futari, the last boss (on hardest setting) on the arcade version is 50x harder than Demon's Souls.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#67  Edited By Pie
    @Vager said:
    " Make sure you don't get near the knight with the spear and glowing red eyes. That guy will kick your ass. "
    I beat that dudes ass and then got murdered by the old king immediately afterwards, didnt even try going back for my hard earned souls. 
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By CL60
    @Korone said:

" I thought this game was piss easy. I have no clue what everyone's on about. "

You don't even own a PS3, stop the lies!
    DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#69  Edited By DoctorWelch

I would say it really isnt as hard as everyone says it is. If you just play smart and be careful you'll be fine. I would say its not the difficulty that is the problem, its just that the game is a bitch if you do mess up. So its not that its really easy to mess up as much as it is that when you do mess up you really get punished for it. There are some parts in that game that are pretty hard though, especially when you need to getting the timing of something down perfectly and the only real way to do it is to try and then maybe fail a few times. I stopped playing it because I didnt like the whole having to help another dude with his game if you want to get back to full health after dieing thing. I just wanted to play the entire game by myself but I constantly had a health gimp because of dieing which was really annoying. So I eventually just stopped. 

GoonerGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By GoonerGod

the actual gameplay isnt too hard its the fact that as mentioned before souls are everything and if you die twice before gettin ur souls back then u want to break the disk in half. You also lose souls by being cocky, everytime you have accumalated a lot of souls and have a chance to return to the nexus do it. 

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By artelinarose

The game itself is not very difficult so long as you have a competent grasp of how to play video games. People have been spoiled over the last few years by forgiving game mechanics like regenerating health, large windows of time given so you can react to an attack, checkpoints, etc. Demon's Souls has none of that.

The difficulty comes in having to actually pay attention and work to achieve your goal. If you expect to come into this and breeze through, you will be surprised at how "old school" the game feels. You will resort to "cheap" tactics like hanging outside of the boss's range while you plink away at it for ten minutes with arrows, then want to hang yourself when you realize you didn't stock up on them. You will be gangbanged by seven enemies at once if you don't think your plan of attack through. You'll fall off a cliff or eight in your blind rush to harvest the crystal lizard you just killed, then have to go through the level again. With all of the enemies respawned. And your health is halved. You will snap controllers in half when you're right at the boss and some asshole invades your world.

It's a refreshing break from more modern games. I would say it's very akin to Monster Hunter in that the sense of accomplishment gained from overcoming incredibly challenging obstacles is in and of itself the greatest experience the game has to offer.

HaniBall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By HaniBall
    @DoctorWelch said:
    " I would say it really isnt as hard as everyone says it is. If you just play smart and be careful you'll be fine. I would say its not the difficulty that is the problem, its just that the game is a bitch if you do mess up. So its not that its really easy to mess up as much as it is that when you do mess up you really get punished for it. There are some parts in that game that are pretty hard though, especially when you need to getting the timing of something down perfectly and the only real way to do it is to try and then maybe fail a few times. I stopped playing it because I didnt like the whole having to help another dude with his game if you want to get back to full health after dieing thing. I just wanted to play the entire game by myself but I constantly had a health gimp because of dieing which was really annoying. So I eventually just stopped.  "
    The cling ring you get in level 1-1 cuts the health difference in half.  Honestly, if you die at 70% health you probably would have at a 100. Plus, you have slightly higher attack power in soul form. And you can't get invaded. The biggest difference is really that you basically get an extra ring slot when you play in body form.

Most folks that like to play alone play in soul form. The one reason most people would play in body form if they are not going to summon blues is to manipulate world tendency.

If you really want to play in body form, it isn't necessary to help hosts defeat bosses. Just use ephemeral stones. There is quite a few of them in the game. I think giant depraved ones even drop them.

You have obviously made your decision. But for others reading here, there is really no reason to stop playing because of this.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.